No charge lamp stays on

MJKTuck(at)cs.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Started my 912UL today (first time for 2-3 months) and it started first
time! However, I noticed that the 12V 'no-charge' lamp (connected to the
rectifier pins L and C) remained illuminated indicating no charge.

I ran the engine a while to get it up to temp but the lamp stayed on and
after shut down my battery voltage had dropped below 11.5V. so it is
definitely is not being charged.

I'm sure it could be a number of things from a dodgy rectifier to issues
with the alternator.

Any pointers as to what to look first at would be appreciated.

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT

Gilles

Joined: 16 May 2020

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Le 14/02/2023 à 03:26, Martin Tuck a écrit :

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck(at)cs.com> (MJKTuck(at)cs.com)

Hi Folks,

Started my 912UL today (first time for 2-3 months) and it started first time! However, I noticed that the 12V 'no-charge' lamp (connected to the rectifier pins L and C) remained illuminated indicating no charge.

I ran the engine a while to get it up to temp but the lamp stayed on and after shut down my battery voltage had dropped below 11.5V. so it is definitely is not being charged.

I'm sure it could be a number of things from a dodgy rectifier to issues with the alternator.

Any pointers as to what to look first at would be appreciated.

Hi Martin,
I'd first check actual voltages with a reliable voltmeter, then perform a serious check of the wiring and connections.

Did your alternator charge before? Did you disconnect/connect anything since last time you ran the engine with no issues?
--
Best regards
Gilles

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
mjktuck(at)cs.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Thanks Giles,

I haven’t done anything to the aircraft since the last time I flew and all seemed well then. I found a good video on troubleshooting the system on the Rotax Owners site so I’ll be looking to perform those checks and see what might be going on.
Martin

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2023, at 5:07 AM, GTH <gilles.thesee(at)free.fr> wrote:

 Le 14/02/2023 ?? 03:26, Martin Tuck a ??crit??:

[...]

Paul M 383

Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Which video Martin (link or vid ref number)?

I thought I'd watched them all, but don't recall one on Reg/Rec or charging troubleshooting...!

Cheers,

Paul M
G-PLPM

I haven’t done anything to the aircraft since the last time I flew and all seemed well then. I found a good video on troubleshooting the system on the Rotax Owners site so I’ll be looking to perform those checks and see what might be going on.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2023, at 5:07 AM, GTH <gilles.thesee(at)free.fr> wrote:

 Le 14/02/2023 ?? 03:26, Martin Tuck a ??crit??:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck(at)cs.com> (MJKTuck(at)cs.com)

Hi Folks,

<Charge lamp issue>

Hi Martin,
I'd first check actual voltages with a reliable voltmeter, then perform a serious check of the wiring and connections.

Did your alternator charge before? Did you disconnect/connect anything since last time you ran the engine with no issues?
--
Best regards
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

I had the same issue - Bob Nickolls said that the charge light system in the Ducati regulator is very primitive and not to pay attention.   A reliable voltmeter is required.
Eventually my charge light went out by itself.  The battery charged just fine while it was on.
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

On Feb 14, 2023, at 5:07 AM, GTH <gilles.thesee(at)free.fr (gilles.thesee(at)free.fr)> wrote:

 Le 14/02/2023 ?? 03:26, Martin Tuck a ??crit??:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck(at)cs.com> (MJKTuck(at)cs.com)

Hi Folks,

<Charge lamp issue>

Hi Martin,
I'd first check actual voltages with a reliable voltmeter, then perform a serious check of the wiring and connections.

Did your alternator charge before? Did you disconnect/connect anything since last time you ran the engine with no issues?
--
Best regards
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr

Gilles

Joined: 16 May 2020

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Le 14/02/2023 à 20:36, William Daniell a écrit :

Quote:
I had the same issue - Bob Nickolls said that the charge light system in the Ducati regulator is very primitive and not to pay attention.   A reliable voltmeter is required.
Eventually my charge light went out by itself.  The battery charged just fine while it was on.

William and all,
Agreed.
First measure actual voltages.
Yes Bob Nuckolls on http://www.aeroelectric.com/ and on the 'List is key.
--
Best regards
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
DuaneFamly

Location: Chandler, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

I would imagine you can tell if it’s operating properly if your panel voltage reading prior to start is about 12.5volts and with engine running (charging system working properly) you should see about 14.8volts.

Mike Duane N377EA
Europa XS Conventional Gear

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2023, at 12:48 PM, GTH <gilles.thesee(at)free.fr> wrote:

 Le 14/02/2023 ?? 20:36, William Daniell a ??crit??:

Quote:
I had the same issue - Bob Nickolls said that the charge light system in the??Ducati regulator??is very??primitive and not to pay attention.?? ??A reliable voltmeter is required.??
Eventually??my charge light went out by itself.?? The??battery charged just fine while it was on.

William and all,
Agreed.
First measure actual voltages.
Yes Bob Nuckolls on http://www.aeroelectric.com/ and on the 'List is key.
--
Best regards
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr

Mike Duane
MJKTuck(at)cs.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Assuming you are a subscriber to RotaxOwner.com, the video can be found under Videos: 912 Videos: Charging System Troubleshooting.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/rotax-minute/404-charging

Regards,
Martin Tuck

On 2/14/2023 11:44 AM, Paul Mansfield wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: No charge lamp stays on Reply with quote

I am a subscriber, thanks Martin... hadn't seen this one, so a useful addition to the library, thanks!

Hi Paul, Assuming you are a subscriber to RotaxOwner.com, the video can be found under Videos: 912 Videos: Charging System Troubleshooting. https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/rotax-minute/404-charging Regards, Martin Tuck On 2/14/2023 11:44 AM, Paul Mansfield wrote:

Quote:
<snip>

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address