Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing copper bar with tefzel wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcohen@post.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Replacing copper bar with tefzel wire Reply with quote

I am building a Vans RV7 , IO360, Z101, using B&C master and starter contactors, and an EarthX ETX 900 battery. I can’t easily use the Vans design solution of 0.125” thick copper bar, about 3” long x 0.5” wide, to connect the master solenoid to the starter solenoid, due to physical placement on my firewall and the stud orientation on the B&C starter contactor. So I want to use an insulated wire instead of the bar, maybe only 4” or so.

From old posts on vansAirforce.net forum, the current here is estimated to be up to 320 amps for short periods while cranking the starter. Is that correct? What gauge tefzel wire should I use to maintain the functionality and safety of the copper bar?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing copper bar with tefzel wire Reply with quote

Use the same size wire that connects the starter contactor to the starter motor.
4AWG is used on some of Bob's diagrams.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Replacing copper bar with tefzel wire Reply with quote

At 09:47 PM 2/3/2023, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jcohen(at)post.com" <jcohen(at)post.com>

I am building a Vans RV7 , IO360, Z101, using B&C master and starter contactors, and an EarthX ETX 900 battery. I can’t easily use the Vans design solution of 0.125” thick copper bar, about 3” long x 0.5” wide, to connect the master solenoid to the starter solenoid, due to physical placement on my firewall and the stud orientation on the B&C starter contactor. So I want to use an insulated wire instead of the bar, maybe only 4” or so.

>From old posts on vansAirforce.net forum, the current here is estimated to be up to 320 amps for short periods while cranking the starter. Is that correct? What gauge tefzel wire should I use to maintain the functionality and safety of the copper bar?

I'm skeptical of that current number . . . nonetheless,
a 4AWG piece of wire would be just fine. If you don't yet
have the wire, get a chunk of welding cable from a local
welding supplies shop. MUCH more flexible and installer
friendly. Be gentle on yourself too . . . don't make the
jumper run a tight, straight line between studs. Make
it a leisurely hop between mounting locations so that
you can exploit that flexibility; i.e. a 6" piece
of wire is about right for connecting studs 4" apart.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

jcohen@post.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing copper bar with tefzel wire Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments. Welding cable it is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: