iflyrv10 door pins question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
werner schneider

Joined: 24 May 2021

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

As I had a longer stop due to life, I'm coming back now to one or two things were I just miss informations.
I bought 12 years ago the iflyrv10 door pins and striker plates, the pins had not yet the magnetos in there so I will try to add them myself, the question is about the thread on the pins, anybody any idea what size these are? I've tried several nuts I have but none did work. If someone could post as well a picture of theirs with a measure tape along I would appreciate it seems mine have a longer thread part (1").

I neither can find any instructions for them Sad

Thanks for your help, not so easy to find all the items again I left 10 years ago Sad

Cheers Werner

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rleffler

Joined: 05 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

I recently learned something the hard way. If you have FlyRV10 pins and Aerosport interior panels, there isn’t enough clearance to use the vans supplied magnetic switches.

The magnet in the ifyrv10 pin only works head on with the switch. Whereas, the planearound pin magnets can work perpendicular to the pins, which solves the issue with the clearance with the Aerosport interior panel.

If you've not installed them yet, I would highly recommend the planearound door pins and center latch over the iflyrv10 pins. I know it's extra money, but it's worth it.

Get Outlook for iOS

--> RV10-List message posted by: "werner schneider" <glastar(at)gmx.net>

As I had a longer stop due to life, I'm coming back now to one or two things were I just miss informations.
I bought 12 years ago the iflyrv10 door pins and striker plates, the pins had not yet the magnetos in there so I will try to add them myself, the question is about the thread on the pins, anybody any idea what size these are? I've tried several nuts I have but none did work. If someone could post as well a picture of theirs with a measure tape along I would appreciate it seems mine have a longer thread part (1").

I neither can find any instructions for them Sad

Thanks for your help, not so easy to find all the items again I left 10 years ago Sad

Cheers Werner

===========
Email Forum -
-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
ps://matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Bob Leffler
N410BL - Phase I
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
partner14

Location: Granbury Texas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

Simply put, if you follow Bob's advice below, you wll NEVER need any kind of sensor to tell you the door is closed. The latch in the MIDDLE of the door solved ALL the problems.

[...]

Don A. McDonald
40636
werner schneider

Joined: 24 May 2021

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

I have the planearound center latch already, as I need to fit the magnets anyway I would use the Vans magnetos and that works (just tried it out).

So back to my question any idea about the thread size Wink

On 02.02.2023 15:32, Bob Leffler wrote:

Quote:
I recently learned something the hard way.    If you have FlyRV10 pins and Aerosport interior panels, there isn’t enough clearance to use the vans supplied magnetic switches.

The magnet in the ifyrv10 pin only works head on with the switch.   Whereas, the planearound pin magnets can work perpendicular to the pins, which solves the issue with the clearance with the Aerosport interior panel.

If you've not installed them yet, I would highly recommend the planearound door pins and center latch over the iflyrv10 pins.  I know it's extra money, but it's worth it.

Get Outlook for iOS

--> RV10-List message posted by: "werner schneider" <glastar(at)gmx.net> (glastar(at)gmx.net)

[...]

Vol88

Joined: 13 Jul 2019

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

Werner,

I believe the threads you are asking about are specified in Step 1 on page 45-14 - 5/16" x 24 threads per inch.

Tom

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
werner schneider

Joined: 24 May 2021

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

Thanks Tom,

it seems the x24 is correct, it's just strange as I can not screw an AN5
nut onto the pins, maybe it is by design as they then hold better inside
the alu tube?

Cheers Werner

On 02.02.2023 22:25, Vol88 wrote:
Quote:

Werner,

I believe the threads you are asking about are specified in Step 1 on page 45-14 - 5/16" x 24 threads per inch.

Tom

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Vol88

Joined: 13 Jul 2019

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

I just tried an AN5 nut on the stud that connects my aluminum tube to my Planearound pin. It fit perfectly, with no drag.

Perhaps your threads were damaged or contaminated? You could try running a rethreader (thread cleaner) to check and straighten the threads. I would start with a thread gauge to make sure it's 5/16-24 first.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing it's 5/16-18 if it looks coarse.
I can't remember for sure.
Tim
On 2/2/2023 5:05 PM, Vol88 wrote:
Quote:

I just tried an AN5 nut on the stud that connects my aluminum tube to my Planearound pin. It fit perfectly, with no drag.

Perhaps your threads were damaged or contaminated? You could try running a rethreader (thread cleaner) to check and straighten the threads. I would start with a thread gauge to make sure it's 5/16-24 first.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
werner schneider

Joined: 24 May 2021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

I have the iFlyRV10 pins not the planearounds Smile

On 03.02.2023 00:05, Vol88 wrote:
Quote:

I just tried an AN5 nut on the stud that connects my aluminum tube to my Planearound pin. It fit perfectly, with no drag.

Perhaps your threads were damaged or contaminated? You could try running a rethreader (thread cleaner) to check and straighten the threads. I would start with a thread gauge to make sure it's 5/16-24 first.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
werner schneider

Joined: 24 May 2021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: iflyrv10 door pins question Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, I have to see where I misplaced my imperial thread guide Smile

On 2/2/2023 5:05 PM, Vol88 wrote:

> I just tried an AN5 nut on the stud that connects my aluminum tube to
> my Planearound pin. It fit perfectly, with no drag.
>
> Perhaps your threads were damaged or contaminated? You could try
> running a rethreader (thread cleaner) to check and straighten the
> threads. I would start with a thread gauge to make sure it's 5/16-24
> first.
>

> Read this topic online here:

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours