Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Starting thread for this week.

Just a reminder for those that participate in the monthly Zoom meeting, the September Zoom meeting will be held on Sept 13 because of Labor Day. Oshkosh and a possible fly in at Rough River will be on the agenda.

Jim

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

We flew over 800 nm to Lamar, CO and enjoyed a Little Ceasar's pizza in a park Tuesday. And then returned home Wednesday!

The original plan to was visit Erich and Misti Trombley in Las Vegas and continue to a fly-in at Reserve, NM.

The winds aloft Tuesday morning were strong so we stayed low at 6500 ft to our fuel stop in Kansas City. Our ground speed on that leg was 125 - 130 kts. But it was a nice comfortable flight.

The next leg from Kansas City to Lamar we also flew low because there are a number of Military Airspaces (MOAs) that were active. Our ground speed on that leg was also about 125 - 130 kts, but there was a lot of turbulence and it was exhausting to fly. The OAT was quite warm and the flying conditions were uncomfortable.

Forecasts for Wednesday to continue to Las Vegas were for more of the same, very warm with head winds. Since we were tired and dehydrated from the previous day and with the forecast, we decided to cancel our plans and return home. The two legs on Wednesday were more comfortable, with ground speeds around 140 - 150 kts. There was only one active MOA and it required just a small deviation.

In retrospect, we looked at previous flights to the southwest we've made and noted that we have always done them much later in the year, usually in early October. Late August is much too warm! Las Vegas temps the last couple days have been lows around 90 and highs around 110! Much too hot for us!

Finn, our dog did fine on the trip, his first of this length. But he was also the reason to avoid altitudes requiring oxygen.

Jim & Heather

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 9/2 - 9/9 Reply with quote

Starting thread for this week

Jim

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Oops! Started new thread for week 9/2 - 9/9. Please reply there not here.

Jim

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Put new bearing set on the outriggers; silent taxi ops now achieved (well, almost silent πŸ€“)... Air yesterday was amazing; like thick soup at 1022QNH and 24c, no wind at all and cloud base +4500'... Went up for an hour and just tootled around site seeing... came in to land on 23 at 60kt as usual and just kept floating down the fairway for a goaround and another approach. Thought to use the conditions and see how 181 climbs with full flap and undercarriage out; what a dog; parked them away and flew the circuit.. the change to iridium spark plugs is so enjoyable 😊 ... spent the rest of the day watching the windsock and drinking tea, but the windsock never moved πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

3A7971BB-2933-42ED-9863-6212024F58AB.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.53 KB
 Viewed:  4861 Time(s)

3A7971BB-2933-42ED-9863-6212024F58AB.jpeg

Area-51

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Measured up for a fuel filler neck mod today and started on luggage area for freight tiedowns, cleats, netting, and lower stowage locker hatches... started with a strip of spruce and quickly morphed into a plywood bulkhead brace... so far so good; hatches tomorrow... small sail boat, small aircraft; all the same when it comes to being tossed around in a fluid environment πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

765C3651-BC54-4CA4-B7D4-7543B1E70EAD.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.34 KB
 Viewed:  4814 Time(s)

765C3651-BC54-4CA4-B7D4-7543B1E70EAD.jpeg

5BB316D7-16A2-4FB5-AA67-75650DE135A4.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.94 KB

5BB316D7-16A2-4FB5-AA67-75650DE135A4.jpeg

FB7D652A-4590-4D1C-8B93-F7AA13CF652D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.11 KB

FB7D652A-4590-4D1C-8B93-F7AA13CF652D.jpeg

BD883E22-6255-4D98-A46B-6B527200318A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.53 KB

BD883E22-6255-4D98-A46B-6B527200318A.jpeg

Area-51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Today fabricated and fitted up stow hatches and scoped out tiedown anchors; latches tomorrow and final M6 fixings. May attach fuel tin cradles to underside of stow hatches to facilitate 40L extra for long range.

757554BB-3A16-4B42-8F52-BEA957EED21F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.14 KB
 Viewed:  4785 Time(s)

757554BB-3A16-4B42-8F52-BEA957EED21F.jpeg

n7188u

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

As always got some more good breakfast flights on EU on this long weekend although will admit guilt at taking the LongEZ on the Saturday flight. I am enjoying the Europa so much I forget I have to fly my other great airplane once in a while Smile

I completed the installation of the LR tank. I am preparing the airplane for the triple tree fly in in a couple of weeks. I highly recommend this destination and I consider it one of the best fly ins I have attended (in terms of camping facilities and just the sheer beauty of the place).

I kept my tank installation relatively simple although I went for an electric transfer pump system. Everything is attached to the top of the tank and only a simple cable is connected to the airplane to power the pump. The pump switch is at the top of the tank and, although it does require a bit of contortion to activate it, works well. The switch is a momentary one to prevent overflowing and the clear filter before the pump helps determine when the tank has run dry.

Chris

IMG_1297.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  780.71 KB
 Viewed:  4765 Time(s)

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  786.86 KB
 Viewed:  4765 Time(s)

IMG_1311.JPG

Area-51

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Ooo!! Ooo!!!! I must have one of these... or even two!!!

how who what when where can i purchase these Chris???

Area-51

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Chris what have you used to coat the inside of the cockpit? Is it Rhino paint? I'm almost ready to strip out and reupholster 181's interior and looking ag options...

SPURPURA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Area-51 wrote:
Chris what have you used to coat the inside of the cockpit? Is it Rhino paint? I'm almost ready to strip out and reupholster 181's interior and looking ag options...

I sprayed some on 77EU 20 years ago and it holds up well and many colors. Don’t think it’s a Rhino product. It was Zolatone,should be available from a marine paint supply or maybe a real good hardware store.

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Thanks Chris...

It's a Valspar product... I've sworn to never use Valspar again after having it nearly ruin a million dollar project πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

n7188u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.

My interior is Zolatone with a coat of satin PU clear. I can get you the color name if you wish. It actually hides the wrinkles in the vacuum bagged interior fairly well but I did go out of my way to ensure it would look "good", which it does. I am very happy with it. Since I have a glider background and my LongEZ is also finished with Zolatone I do like this look.

It is a bit of work but was not too bad. The interior is cleaned and scuffed, you want to make sure your seams are neat and peel plied so that they look nice. I then rolled a hybrid epoxy primer in grey, did a little more finishing then sprayed a final coat of that same primer. Then spray the Zolatone (which requires a pressure pot but they are cheap at Amazon). Then I used a two part satin PU that you can get in spray cans at the auto paint supply. It really does look good.

Zolatone is tough and durable. It is designed for places such as school hallways. Pretty much cellulose dope.

I bought it here:

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/category/zolatone-paint/

A couple of pictures when I was doing the finish. Note how the Zolatone hides the tapes well.

If you asked were to get the tank it came with the kit I purchased. It's part of a Europa mod. it is nice I have to say.

Best Regards,
Chris

Zolatone Interior 4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.7 KB
 Viewed:  4586 Time(s)

Zolatone Interior 4.JPG

Zolatone Interior 3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.37 KB

Zolatone Interior 3.JPG

Zolatone Interior 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.29 KB

Zolatone Interior 2.JPG

Zolatone Interior 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.29 KB

Zolatone Interior 1.JPG

n7188u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

BTW, I also did the panel in Zolatone but a darker shade. Yes, it is a big overloaded but the original intent was to create a black CF veneer cover on the panel as it is in my LEZ. But I am having so much fun flying it that I haven't do it yet Smile
Chris

Zolatone Interior 6.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  4579 Time(s)

Zolatone Interior 6.JPG

Area-51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 8/26 - 9/2 Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra pics Chris; its a really clean presented cockpit... might have to put past experiences behind me and give valspar another go...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: