VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

I delivered the VOLATO 400 (PR-ZVL) from St. Augustine to Oshkosh today. It was a LONG trip but I enjoyed it.

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

On_the_Oshkosh_ramp_SM.jpg
 Filesize:  546.25 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

On_the_Oshkosh_ramp_SM.jpg

Heading_to_OshKosh_SM.jpg
 Filesize:  602.71 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

Heading_to_OshKosh_SM.jpg

At_OshKosh_SM.jpg
 Filesize:  639.08 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

At_OshKosh_SM.jpg

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

Hi Galin ,
Thanks for sharing .. luved the pics .. what a fabulous looking aircraft ... can u let us know how the trip progressed . was the trip staged over several days or or .. ? what was the performance like ...? how does it compare with your Cruiser etc .. ? Is it in production ? ... sorry so many questions !
Thanks again,
Graham
TR1 #80

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

I made the trip from St. Augustine to Oshkosh in 1 very long day leaving at 7:30 EDT and arriving at 4:45 CDT. Since the airplane is VFR only with no ADS-B, I had to avoid Class B and C airspaces. That added about 1.5hr to the entire flight time with the flying uneventful. But the fuel farm was not working at the 1st place I stopped for fuel (KMNV) so I had to go to another airport (KRKW) to fuel up.

While over the FISKE arrival point the controller asked if it was a VELOCE to which I answered "yes". He said "cool", welcomed me to Oshkosh and said "I want to see it up close".
But the "funniest" part was that when I landed, the required parking sign I made [ HBE - BOOTH 439 ] slid down the glareshield lodging itself behind the instrument panel where I could not get to it. You can see it in the attached photo. The volunteers could not tell where I was supposed to go and it also had all the Oshkosh frequencies so I wound up at the end of a closed taxiway. I finally was able to contact Airventure ground and they coordinated the rest. At one point a volunteer came up to the airplane and started talking in Portuguese to me. He saw the Brazilian flag and Tail number on the airplane so he assumed I was Brazilian.
I am scheduled to bring the airplane back to St. Augustine on Jul 31st.
This airplane has an IO-390 (210hp) engine with a constant speed prop while mine has an O-360 (180hp) with a fixed pitch prop. Needless to say, it accelerates much quicker and jumps off the runway. Very impressive on the climbout. FWIW I feel the MGL Odyssey EFIS has not been calibrated for this airplane so I am not sure about the actual numbers. I flew at 8,500ft, 25" MP and 2500rpm's and it showed me cruising at 142 KTAS with just under 10gph fuel burn. When approaching OSHKOSH at 90KIs (19" MP and 2100rpm's) I had a fuel burn of  6gph. At these settings the CHT's were just under 380F.
The airplane is a side stick (not sure I like it) but it has the Cirrus style doors which I like a LOT. Being a side stick the seats are adjustable which is a good thing. It also has a large baggage compartment door which I love. The seats in this airplane are beautiful leather, but they are so big it is hard for a chubby guy like me to get in and out of. They also don't recline so they are not very comfortable on long flights. There are 2 ferry tanks in the rear seats so I can't say how comfortable it is back there.
AFAIK there are 7 already flying in Brazil, the kit is in production and there is a "builder assist" facility in Sandersville, GA. You would have to ask Jaime for details.

.

I delivered the VOLATO 400 (PR-ZVL) from St. Augustine to Oshkosh today. It was a LONG trip but I enjoyed it.

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

Parking_Sign_SM.jpg
 Filesize:  528.65 KB
 Viewed:  2658 Time(s)

Parking_Sign_SM.jpg

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

Galin,
Thanks for your great reply .. today i was doing a Local flt in my humble TR1 ... was giving 150kts and 23 inch mp (at) 3k ft .. and 7.3 us gls per hr ..(subaru engine ) ... so no slouch .
That angled Dash panel that eat ur paper work .... with the opening where it meets the Windscreen .. sure needs sealing off !!

I wish them every success ... its certainly a Good Looker ... I went to their web site for more details ... but wasn't able to find the Kit Prices .. do u happen to know ?

And i saw they mention they are working a LSA model ... that will be super interesting to see also !!
Thanks
Graham

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

You will have to  contact them for more details and prices.

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 7:15 AM Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours