Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

I delivered the VOLATO 400 (PR-ZVL) from St. Augustine to Oshkosh today. It was a LONG trip but I enjoyed it.

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

On_the_Oshkosh_ramp_SM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  546.25 KB
 Viewed:  2664 Time(s)

On_the_Oshkosh_ramp_SM.jpg

Heading_to_OshKosh_SM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  602.71 KB

Heading_to_OshKosh_SM.jpg

At_OshKosh_SM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  639.08 KB

At_OshKosh_SM.jpg

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

Hi Galin ,
Thanks for sharing .. luved the pics .. what a fabulous looking aircraft ... can u let us know how the trip progressed . was the trip staged over several days or or .. ? what was the performance like ...? how does it compare with your Cruiser etc .. ? Is it in production ? ... sorry so many questions !
Thanks again,
Graham
TR1 #80

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

I made the trip from St. Augustine to Oshkosh in 1 very long day leaving at 7:30 EDT and arriving at 4:45 CDT. Since the airplane is VFR only with no ADS-B, I had to avoid Class B and C airspaces. That added about 1.5hr to the entire flight time with the flying uneventful. But the fuel farm was not working at the 1st place I stopped for fuel (KMNV) so I had to go to another airport (KRKW) to fuel up.

While over the FISKE arrival point the controller asked if it was a VELOCE to which I answered "yes". He said "cool", welcomed me to Oshkosh and said "I want to see it up close". 
But the "funniest" part was that when I landed, the required parking sign I made [ HBE - BOOTH 439 ] slid down the glareshield lodging itself behind the instrument panel where I could not get to it. You can see it in the attached photo. The volunteers could not tell where I was supposed to go and it also had all the Oshkosh frequencies so I wound up at the end of a closed taxiway. I finally was able to contact Airventure ground and they coordinated the rest. At one point a volunteer came up to the airplane and started talking in Portuguese to me. He saw the Brazilian flag and Tail number on the airplane so he assumed I was Brazilian.
I am scheduled to bring the airplane back to St. Augustine on Jul 31st.
This airplane has an IO-390 (210hp) engine with a constant speed prop while mine has an O-360 (180hp) with a fixed pitch prop. Needless to say, it accelerates much quicker and jumps off the runway. Very impressive on the climbout. FWIW I feel the MGL Odyssey EFIS has not been calibrated for this airplane so I am not sure about the actual numbers. I flew at 8,500ft, 25" MP and 2500rpm's and it showed me cruising at 142 KTAS with just under 10gph fuel burn. When approaching OSHKOSH at 90KIs (19" MP and 2100rpm's) I had a fuel burn of  6gph. At these settings the CHT's were just under 380F.
The airplane is a side stick (not sure I like it) but it has the Cirrus style doors which I like a LOT. Being a side stick the seats are adjustable which is a good thing. It also has a large baggage compartment door which I love. The seats in this airplane are beautiful leather, but they are so big it is hard for a chubby guy like me to get in and out of. They also don't recline so they are not very comfortable on long flights. There are 2 ferry tanks in the rear seats so I can't say how comfortable it is back there.
AFAIK there are 7 already flying in Brazil, the kit is in production and there is a "builder assist" facility in Sandersville, GA. You would have to ask Jaime for details.
On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 8:48 AM Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Galin ,
                  Thanks for sharing .. luved the pics .. what a fabulous looking aircraft ... can u let us know how the trip progressed .. was the trip staged over several days or or .. ? what was the performance like ...? how does it compare with your Cruiser etc .. ? Is it in production ? ... sorry so many questions !
Thanks again,
Graham
TR1 #80

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2022 12:32 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh

I delivered the VOLATO 400 (PR-ZVL) from St. Augustine to Oshkosh today. It was a LONG trip but I enjoyed it.

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#m_8113935476063272680_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Parking_Sign_SM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  528.65 KB
 Viewed:  2658 Time(s)

Parking_Sign_SM.jpg

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

Galin,
Thanks for your great reply .. today i was doing a Local flt in my humble TR1 ... was giving 150kts and 23 inch mp (at) 3k ft .. and 7.3 us gls per hr ..(subaru engine ) ... so no slouch .
That angled Dash panel that eat ur paper work .... with the opening where it meets the Windscreen .. sure needs sealing off !!

I wish them every success ... its certainly a Good Looker ... I went to their web site for more details ... but wasn't able to find the Kit Prices .. do u happen to know ?

And i saw they mention they are working a LSA model ... that will be super interesting to see also !!
Thanks
Graham

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh Reply with quote

You will have to  contact them for more details and prices.

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 7:15 AM Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
Galin,
                 Thanks for your great reply .. today i was doing a Local flt in my humble TR1 .. was giving 150kts and 23 inch mp (at) 3k ft ... and 7.3 us gls per hr ..(subaru engine ) ... so no slouch .
That angled Dash panel that eat ur paper work ... with the opening where it meets the Windscreen .. sure needs sealing off !!

I wish them every success ... its certainly a Good Looker ... I went to their web site for more details ... but wasn't able to find the Kit Prices .. do u happen to know ?

And i saw they mention they are working a LSA model ... that will be super interesting to see also !!
Thanks
Graham

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2022 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh

I made the trip from St. Augustine to Oshkosh in 1 very long day leaving at 7:30 EDT and arriving at 4:45 CDT. Since the airplane is VFR only with no ADS-B, I had to avoid Class B and C airspaces. That added about 1.5hr to the entire flight time with the flying uneventful. But the fuel farm was not working at the 1st place I stopped for fuel (KMNV) so I had to go to another airport (KRKW) to fuel up.

While over the FISKE arrival point the controller asked if it was a VELOCE to which I answered "yes". He said "cool", welcomed me to Oshkosh and said "I want to see it up close". 

But the "funniest" part was that when I landed, the required parking sign I made [ HBE - BOOTH 439 ] slid down the glareshield lodging itself behind the instrument panel where I could not get to it. You can see it in the attached photo. The volunteers could not tell where I was supposed to go and it also had all the Oshkosh frequencies so I wound up at the end of a closed taxiway. I finally was able to contact Airventure ground and they coordinated the rest. At one point a volunteer came up to the airplane and started talking in Portuguese to me. He saw the Brazilian flag and Tail number on the airplane so he assumed I was Brazilian.

I am scheduled to bring the airplane back to St. Augustine on Jul 31st.

This airplane has an IO-390 (210hp) engine with a constant speed prop while mine has an O-360 (180hp) with a fixed pitch prop. Needless to say, it accelerates much quicker and jumps off the runway. Very impressive on the climbout. FWIW I feel the MGL Odyssey EFIS has not been calibrated for this airplane so I am not sure about the actual numbers. I flew at 8,500ft, 25" MP and 2500rpm's and it showed me cruising at 142 KTAS with just under 10gph fuel burn. When approaching OSHKOSH at 90KIs (19" MP and 2100rpm's) I had a fuel burn of  6gph. At these settings the CHT's were just under 380F.

The airplane is a side stick (not sure I like it) but it has the Cirrus style doors which I like a LOT. Being a side stick the seats are adjustable which is a good thing. It also has a large baggage compartment door which I love. The seats in this airplane are beautiful leather, but they are so big it is hard for a chubby guy like me to get in and out of. They also don't recline so they are not very comfortable on long flights. There are 2 ferry tanks in the rear seats so I can't say how comfortable it is back there.

AFAIK there are 7 already flying in Brazil, the kit is in production and there is a "builder assist" facility in Sandersville, GA. You would have to ask Jaime for details.
On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 8:48 AM Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Galin ,
                  Thanks for sharing .. luved the pics .. what a fabulous looking aircraft .. can u let us know how the trip progressed .. was the trip staged over several days or or .. ? what was the performance like ...? how does it compare with your Cruiser etc .. ? Is it in production ? ... sorry so many questions !
Thanks again,
Graham
TR1 #80

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2022 12:32 PM
Subject: VOLATO 400 to Oshkosh

Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#m_-4818332401903766328_m_8113935476063272680_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: