Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hangar hoist motor question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigoris

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Hangar hoist motor question Reply with quote

Hi Group

A slightly off topic question:
I have an 1,100lb electric hoist in hangar.

I want to install it on an electric trolley.

In past used Northern tool trolleys. Very simple, motor has 3 wires. 1 wire gets hooked up to neutral and when you put power to right wire it goes right and if you put power to the left wire it goes left. There's a capacitor that stays permanently connected between left and right.

Problem is the motor was not very powerful and it would only drive 1 side, so if weight wasn't distributed just perfect it would either sit and spin or get jammed sideways on the I beam. I bought a second one and made it drive both sides. Worked great. I just paralleled motors. It wasn't quite happy with only 1 capacitor so I paralleled two. Starting torque was greatly increased using 2 capacitors with the 2 motors paralleled.

So on the Northern tool trolleys, the capacitors stayed permanently connected to right and left.

Now for my current project, Northern tools no longer offers the electric trolley. I purchased a pair of no name China 200 watt knock offs. Motor is very similar with 3 wires. It has a capacitor that is disconnected when unit is off. Then it connects the capacitor between left and right wires for both left or right commands. They are using a very complicated switch with jumpers to accomplish this task. I want to extend the 4' pendant wire to 25' as I have done with the Northern Tool units. It's not very convenient to try and house 2 capacitors in the pendant. It's very easy to house 2 capacitors on the hoist in an enclosure. I would prefer to just permanently connect the 2 paralleled capacitors at the hoist enclosure to left and right.

Is there a reason to use the complicated disconnect the capacitors between left and right when unit is off?

Is yes I guess I could do it by running 4 wires to pendant instead of 3, but I would prefer no to.

At moment things are an the work bench with both capacitors paralleled and permanently connected to left and right and it seems to work fine. If capacitors are disconnected, when power is put to left or right he motors will not start, they just sit there and hum.

The capacitors for the 200 watt motor:
CBB60 40uF =/- 5%
450VAC C SO SH
25/70/21 50/60HZ
1.770" Diameter
3.645" Length

Thx.
Ron P.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckollsr

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hangar hoist motor question Reply with quote

Consider using relays in the junction box at the hoist motor to do all the heavy lifting. Then use a three-wire command line between the junction box and the control box. You could even get 'fancy' and use a key-fob, radio remote to input commands thus eliminating the dangling wire.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: