Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Trim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg McFarlane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo
from 2005/2006
at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in
the same
situation. I haven't heard of them being a common failure.
Tim

On 3/21/2022 8:06 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:
I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo
from 2005/2006
at about 1500 hours.    I have other friends with nearly as much time in
the same
situation.  I haven't heard of them being a common failure.
Tim

On 3/21/2022 4:07 AM, Greg McFarlane wrote:
>
> <grbcmcfarlane(at)gmail.com>
>
> I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month
> the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before
> engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was
> reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had
> this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This
> one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing
> trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=506351#506351
>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

maca2790

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
The run current for the servo is quite low but maybe the Voltage without the engine running and the Alternator online is causing a high start current to flow. Try reconfiguring the VPX for say 2.5 amps and see how that goes. Or maybe just move the setting of the Trim until after engine start and the Alt and Avionics are online.

Cheers
John MacCallum
RV10
VH-DUU

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 22 Mar 2022, at 12:07 am, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo from 2005/2006
at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in the same
Tim

> On 3/21/2022 8:06 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
> I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo from 2005/2006
> at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in the same
> situation. I haven't heard of them being a common failure.
> Tim
>> On 3/21/2022 4:07 AM, Greg McFarlane wrote:
>>
>>
>> I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=506351#506351
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Listen to the motor as you run full travel. It should run full travel without the sound changing much except just a little bit at the end. I have seen a number of these break over the years because they were installed so the cable reaches its end before the motor does, and the motor stalls or breaks something internally. There is just the right amount of travel between the motor mechanism and the cables. You have to rig it just right to not bind. That could be causing your problem.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2022, at 9:15 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:

I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo from 2005/2006
at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in the same
Tim

> On 3/21/2022 8:06 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
> I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo from 2005/2006
> at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in the same
> Tim
>> On 3/21/2022 4:07 AM, Greg McFarlane wrote:
>>
>>
>> I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=506351#506351
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Ceengland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Another data point is that ATC (automotive blade) fuses virtually never
'nuisance trip'. If you move the trim power wire to a feeder from the
main bus, using an in-line 2A  ATC fuse, you may find that the problem
is not related to the trim system at all. (hint...hint)

Charlie

On 3/21/2022 5:45 PM, Jesse Saint wrote:
Quote:

Listen to the motor as you run full travel. It should run full travel without the sound changing much except just a little bit at the end. I have seen a number of these break over the years because they were installed so the cable reaches its end before the motor does, and the motor stalls or breaks something internally. There is just the right amount of travel between the motor mechanism and the cables. You have to rig it just right to not bind. That could be causing your problem.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 21, 2022, at 9:15 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com> wrote:
>
> 
>
> Tim
>
>> On 3/21/2022 8:06 AM, Tim Olson wrote:
>> I know this probably doesn't help, but I'm still running the same servo from 2005/2006
>> at about 1500 hours. I have other friends with nearly as much time in the same
>> situation. I haven't heard of them being a common failure.
>> Tim
>>> On 3/21/2022 4:07 AM, Greg McFarlane wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>
>>>

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Check to see if the circuit is set to trip if no load is detected. I had this problem with one of my Dynon EFIS screens.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2022, at 2:11 AM, Greg McFarlane <grbcmcfarlane(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I've got the standard Ray Allen T3-12A on my RV10. Over the last month the VPX-Pro has tripped twice when I tried to centre the trim before engine start as I normally do. Both times after the circuit (2amp) was reset the trim worked flawlessly. Just wondering if others have had this happen ? And also what is the expected life of these units ? This one has done 750hours with all the usual climb, cruise and landing trim adjustments. Thanks in advance.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=506351#506351

Greg McFarlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I've checked full and free movement up and down and all good. If it happens again I'll try upping to 2.5amp. Good to know that most have good service and life out of these little servos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: