Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

N12AY has sat since late June due to a wing delamination, travel, rebuilding a mono, test flying other planes, making up a speed kit and fun stuff like Omicron and Pneumonia.

1. I finished repairing the delamination, and primed and painted last week and cut and buffed out the paint today. I'll polish out the other wing and fuselage this week. Then on to the engine cleanup and prep and engine runs and find any issues. I haven't flown since early December, so I'll get a couple flights in at the FBO to be current. (My rule is: if you haven't flown in 30 days, go fly with someone and get your air sense back up to speed. Then go fly by yourself and start nibbling at the edges of the envelope.) I'm interested in takeoff with full nose down trim. Since I've flown the plane with full up and down trim, I'm curious why that is a factor. We'll find out. If my cameras work I may video it.

2. My 914 has been leaking oil from the front turbo fittings area and the filter (a first), and the air filter is completely filled with oil. Ah the joy of the 914.

3. My EAA Chapter volunteers assisted me in doing a complete nose to tail on N952JL (Joe Like's Mono) The Jabiru is a Gen 1 with Sensenich Prop with only about 60 hours. Trailer and dolly included.
Basic VFR, nice paint and upholstery. Joe donated the plane in October and the Chapter team members have met with me three times a week as we tore it apart and inspected and repaired everything until finished. See my website www.customflightcreations.com. It will go on the cheap sheets (Barnstormers, Trade a Plane and eBay) this week. Asking $30,000 but will take offers as it is ADS-B compliant, and the annual was signed off in November. Runs good with my Cooling 102 mods, re-rigged flaps, ailerons and stabs, gear completely rebuilt (new bushings, bearings and such, and down lock latch mod accomplished). From nose to tail, new hoses, bungee and I can't fly it due to EAA insurance regs, so it can be towed away, or somebody can fly without insurance if he writes a check. Most interested buyers can't get insurance (as the price of flying uninsured is too scary) until they get signed off by an IP, and requirements for the newbie pilot is anywhere around 40-50 hours in the plane. Heck of a thing.

4. While sick I've been fiberglassing up a speed kit and writing some papers from old outlines I had. I'll do a data dump after a couple more reviews. Getting caught up now that I am reasonably healthy, but Sun 'n Fun is coming faster than I like.

Regards to all.

Bud Yerly

--

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

Re: #3 & insurance… up here in canuckstan i simply insured for liabilty, and my COPA (our aopa) sponsored insurance covered me with 0 time on type (mono) for $330/yr.

Smile

PeteZ
[quote] On Feb 14, 2022, at 9:20 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

N12AY has sat since late June due to a wing delamination, travel, rebuilding a mono, test flying other planes, making up a speed kit and fun stuff like Omicron and Pneumonia.

1. I finished repairing the delamination, and primed and painted last week and cut and buffed out the paint today. I'll polish out the other wing and fuselage this week. Then on to the engine cleanup and prep and engine runs and find any issues. I haven't flown since early December, so I'll get a couple flights in at the FBO to be current. (My rule is: if you haven't flown in 30 days, go fly with someone and get your air sense back up to speed. Then go fly by yourself and start nibbling at the edges of the envelope.) I'm interested in takeoff with full nose down trim. Since I've flown the plane with full up and down trim, I'm curious why that is a factor. We'll find out. If my cameras work I may video it.

2. My 914 has been leaking oil from the front turbo fittings area and the filter (a first), and the air filter is completely filled with oil. Ah the joy of the 914.

3. My EAA Chapter volunteers assisted me in doing a complete nose to tail on N952JL (Joe Like's Mono) The Jabiru is a Gen 1 with Sensenich Prop with only about 60 hours. Trailer and dolly included.
Basic VFR, nice paint and upholstery. Joe donated the plane in October and the Chapter team members have met with me three times a week as we tore it apart and inspected and repaired everything until finished. See my website www.customflightcreations.com. It will go on the cheap sheets (Barnstormers, Trade a Plane and eBay) this week. Asking $30,000 but will take offers as it is ADS-B compliant, and the annual was signed off in November. Runs good with my Cooling 102 mods, re-rigged flaps, ailerons and stabs, gear completely rebuilt (new bushings, bearings and such, and down lock latch mod accomplished). From nose to tail, new hoses, bungee and I can't fly it due to EAA insurance regs, so it can be towed away, or somebody can fly without insurance if he writes a check. Most interested buyers can't get insurance (as the price of flying uninsured is too scary) until they get signed off by an IP, and requirements for the newbie pilot is anywhere around 40-50 hours in the!
plane. Heck of a thing.

4. While sick I've been fiberglassing up a speed kit and writing some papers from old outlines I had. I'll do a data dump after a couple more reviews. Getting caught up now that I am reasonably healthy, but Sun 'n Fun is coming faster than I like.

Regards to all.

Bud Yerly

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, I am get close to finishing my panel upgrade. Center stack is finished which now includes the relocated constant speed controller and the IFR navigator.
The Garmin GPS175 is working nicely, communicating with both my Dynon Skyview 10” display and the recently installed Garmin G5. The G5 serves as a backup to the Dynon.

I was initially concerned that the three boxes wouldn’t play well together as different ARINC 429 setting are specified for each piece of equipment. For ARINC to function properly the transmitting device can have only one protocol set which must be acceptable to the receiving units.

Fortunately, after discussions with Dynon support and testing the G5 on a friend’s plane I was able to confirm they units could in fact be configured to work properly. Essentially, the Dynon needed to be set to “low speed” for data as that is the only speed the G5 can accept. The G5 on the other hand was set to accept GAMA 3 data which the Dynon requires in order to graphically display flight plans, holds, procedure turns, etc. The additional data set contained in GAMA 3 (vs GAMA 1) is extraneous to the G5 as it does not have the capability to display the information and apparently disregards it.

Now, to finish the main panel and put the rest of the plane back together.

Erich
N28ET
Classic Mono 914

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  803.47 KB
 Viewed:  1563 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, I am get close to finishing my panel upgrade. Center stack is finished which now includes the relocated constant speed controller and the IFR navigator.
The Garmin GPS175 is working nicely, communicating with both my Dynon Skyview 10” display and the recently installed Garmin G5. The G5 serves as a backup to the Dynon.

I was initially concerned that the three boxes wouldn’t play well together as different ARINC 429 setting are specified for each piece of equipment. For ARINC to function properly the transmitting device can have only one protocol set which must be acceptable to the receiving units.

Fortunately, after discussions with Dynon support and testing the G5 on a friend’s plane I was able to confirm they units could in fact be configured to work properly. Essentially, the Dynon needed to be set to “low speed” for data as that is the only speed the G5 can accept. The G5 on the other hand was set to accept GAMA 3 data which the Dynon requires in order to graphically display flight plans, holds, procedure turns, etc. The additional data set contained in GAMA 3 (vs GAMA 1) is extraneous to the G5 as it does not have the capability to display the information and apparently disregards it.

Now, to finish the main panel and put the rest of the plane back together.

Erich
N28ET
Classic Mono 914

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  803.47 KB
 Viewed:  1563 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

Area-51

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

Pulled both float bowls off the 912 to inspect for debri; clean as a whistle and about to give the AC its annuall...

Finished installing the hangar track; works perfectly as planned... my body feels wrecked; discovered I love designing and really hate fabrication 🙂

Going up in the sky tomorrow 🙂🙂

8753FFA1-21EE-4201-9D6B-9C381CE7161D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  352.15 KB
 Viewed:  1495 Time(s)

8753FFA1-21EE-4201-9D6B-9C381CE7161D.jpeg

Last edited by Area-51 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Area-51

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

We’re on a road to nowhere.... today started early with a no fuss planned fly-in fly-out breakfast... it was a great flight in, no traffic as expected, showers and low level cloud to weave around.. 125nm into 153nm destination low lying cloud started getting thicker and lower as the sky to the north started turning dark grey... into the first valley we went to check it out and decided to pull the mission, leaving a handful of more curious aviators investigating possibilities... out we flew the way we came in and back past abeam a very busy local grass strip full of pilots peeing before heading back home... with about 60L of fuel left the europa just kept going... eventually nature dictated a forced landing at a lovely airfield where we peed on a shrubbery and that felt so very good to do... full power down 15 and heading out over rising ground was not difficult for the europa, and we went the rest of the way back to base... the adventure continued at rounding out hitting some lift just when you are not needing it, so back up into the sky we went, full power and observing 1000’min at 80kt IAS; very impressive for 80hp and two up... second approach was successful and we were backtracking soon after to pack the cruise missile away with the help of the fully engineered rail system completed after a week long very long construction just the day before.

BA4B3B8A-8EDF-426D-A962-BD4F8E8858A6.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.26 KB
 Viewed:  1494 Time(s)

BA4B3B8A-8EDF-426D-A962-BD4F8E8858A6.jpeg

B331AEDE-C50F-47BE-B5EC-D63A126B28FA.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  543.7 KB
 Viewed:  1497 Time(s)

B331AEDE-C50F-47BE-B5EC-D63A126B28FA.jpeg

creightonious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/14 - 2/21 Reply with quote

On Monday I flew from Key West KEYW to Punta Gorda KPGD Where I have a hangar. Due to a lot of things I hadn’t been able to get up there on a weekday in order to get my new hangar key and badge.
I was unable due to the lack of a passport.
Who knew that Punta Gorda is a sovereign foreign country?
The flight was pleasant, though and if the crosswind ever gets less than 15kt (KEYW has 1 runway, east west) maybe I’ll go up again. With my passport this time.
Creighton. A-009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: