Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverse Engineering JPI Engine Monitor Interfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reverse Engineering JPI Engine Monitor Interfaces Reply with quote

At 08:36 PM 1/11/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
I have purchased a plane that came with an old JPI EDM-700 engine monitor. This is the one with the orange and black display that shows bar graphs for EGT, CHT, etc. It has a data logging capability, but the interface requires their cable, which I don't have:
https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/pc-interface-cable-for-edm-700-edm-800-and-edm-760/
This looks like something that I could make out of things I have laying around the shop, vs spending $40 plus shipping. Does anyone have one sitting around that they could do some continuity testing on? If the little plug only has two conductors, I would guess that there must be two pins on the serial end that they are connected to.
JPI also offers a box that takes the serial from that cable and writes to a USB drive. They charge $200 for that box, and I'd love to see what's in one of those.Â
Another option is to send the unit into JPI, where they will modify it to have a USB interface for $300.
And of course there is always the option of just pretending like it doesn't record data, but where's the fun in that?

If they only bring two conductors to the rear of your
PC, it seems likely that it will be an RS232 style
serial output at some format. The hard question
is protocol . . . continuous stream? Multi-word
records of data based on sample rate? Is there
a JPI unique application for the PC?

You could WAG it and build a cable that brings
the center-conductor to RX pin on the RS232
port. Fire up a generic dumb terminal app and
see if the PC decodes something intelligible.

You may have to fiddle with data rates . . .
You can but a 'scope on that output and measure
the width of a 'bit' to get into the ball park.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: