Static port location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
kitfox(at)mcn.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my Model 4 years ago.
Tried several static port change ideas. None made any difference.
Turned out the airspeed indicator had a small internal leak.
Replaced the ASI and its been fine since.

Kirby Cramer
Kitfox 4 NSI Subaru, N45KC Vans RV7A O-360, N445KC
FAA Experimental Aircraft Repairman & EAA Life Member
26 Rollingview Lane Fallbrook, CA 92028
KirbyCramer(at)gmail.com
760-505-3173
YouTube: Cramer's Classic Cycles
--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
rtoth4310(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

I have mine external left side of fuselage just forward of horizontal stabilizer in about the middle of the fuselage. No issues!

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2022, at 9:47 PM, Jerold EVANS <kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Guy Buchanan

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Location: Ramona, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

My 4 had it left side, about half way back to the horizontal. It was off
by about 10%. I did better just disconnecting the static at the
instrument. Since I used GPS my airspeed didn't matter terribly much so
I didn't spend much time trying to make it accurate. Were the GPS to
fail my airspeed was close enough to allow me to DR navigate reasonably
well, and as far as stall speeds and the like went, I used my own tested
values. I remember, however, that you had to be careful with slips when
you had a single external static; your indicated airspeed could be
wildly different, one side to the other. A glider I once flew, (Grob
102,) had, I think, six static ports, to ensure accurate airspeed no
matter the slip angle.

Guy Buchanan

On 1/9/2022 6:43 PM, Jerold EVANS wrote:
Quote:

I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Guy Buchanan
Deceased K-IV 1200
A glider pilot too.
michaelgibbs(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

My Model 4 had, and the current Series 7 has, one on each side, about mid-way between the wings and horizontal stabilizer. They have a straight tube between them with a “T” in the middle that runs to the instrument panel. Seems to work OK.

Mike
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, at 10:57 AM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net> wrote:

My 4 had it left side, about half way back to the horizontal. It was off by about 10%. I did better just disconnecting the static at the instrument. Since I used GPS my airspeed didn't matter terribly much so I didn't spend much time trying to make it accurate. Were the GPS to fail my airspeed was close enough to allow me to DR navigate reasonably well, and as far as stall speeds and the like went, I used my own tested values. I remember, however, that you had to be careful with slips when you had a single external static; your indicated airspeed could be wildly different, one side to the other. A glider I once flew, (Grob 102,) had, I think, six static ports, to ensure accurate airspeed no matter the slip angle.

Guy Buchanan

> On 1/9/2022 6:43 PM, Jerold EVANS wrote:
>

> I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall
>
> Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

On Jan 10, 2022, at 10:01 AM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net> wrote:

My 4 had it left side, about half way back to the horizontal. It was off by about 10%. I did better just disconnecting the static at the instrument. Since I used GPS my airspeed didn't matter terribly much so I didn't spend much time trying to make it accurate. Were the GPS to fail my airspeed was close enough to allow me to DR navigate reasonably well, and as far as stall speeds and the like went, I used my own tested values. I remember, however, that you had to be careful with slips when you had a single external static; your indicated airspeed could be wildly different, one side to the other. A glider I once flew, (Grob 102,) had, I think, six static ports, to ensure accurate airspeed no matter the slip angle.

Guy Buchanan

> On 1/9/2022 6:43 PM, Jerold EVANS wrote:
>

> I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall
>
> Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Static port location Reply with quote

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, at 4:03 AM, Robert Toth <rtoth4310(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have mine external left side of fuselage just forward of horizontal stabilizer in about the middle of the fuselage. No issues!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 9, 2022, at 9:47 PM, Jerold EVANS <kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> I have a model 2 and having problems with airspeed and want to place a external static port but would like to know where to put it. Right now it’s inside ,behind fire wall
>
> Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours