Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

As of 12/03/2021, my KIS4 airplane (SN 4052) has been flying for 20 years. Originally built by Dave Tate as N92DT it has averaged 75 flight hours every year since then. I hope to see it flying for at least another 20 years.

Attached is a photo taken on 12/3/2021 during the 1st flight and a photo taken on 4/16/2021 during Sun-N-Fun.

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

92DT_FirstFlight.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.36 KB
 Viewed:  5619 Time(s)

92DT_FirstFlight.jpg

2021_SunNfun.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.55 KB
 Viewed:  5619 Time(s)

2021_SunNfun.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

I hate to admit this but I had been working on my project for about a year when Dave Tate and his wife came to visit us and look over my project. Dave had just ordered his kit. Dave finished his project, flew it several years before selling it to Galin. Galin flew it all over the country while I was still working on my plane. My congratulations to both Dave and Galin for proving what a great airplane the Cruiser is.

I finally finished my plane a couple of years ago now. It’s taken me the last two years to put the 40 hours of test flights. Getting the test flight time suffered from the same issues as the build…life just kept getting in the way and I had a house to build. Still have some work to do on the house but nothing that can’t wait for some well earned flying. The only problem now is that I can’t push the plane back into the hangar by myself. There’s a definite slope away from hangar and I am getting too old to have to put that much effort into pushing the plane. Bruised my ribs the last time I did it so I am now working on some kind of tug.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

As of 12/03/2021, my KIS4 airplane (SN 4052) has been flying for 20 years. Originally built by Dave Tate as N92DT it has averaged 75 flight hours every year since then. I hope to see it flying for at least another 20 years.

Attached is a photo taken on 12/3/2021 during the 1st flight and a photo taken on 4/16/2021 during Sun-N-Fun.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

92DT_FirstFlight.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.36 KB
 Viewed:  5612 Time(s)

92DT_FirstFlight.jpg

2021_SunNfun.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.55 KB
 Viewed:  5612 Time(s)

2021_SunNfun.jpg

hansoncp(at)netnitco.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Congratulations to Blanquita on reaching 20 years of flying! She has good handlers who look after her well.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 7:57 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old

As of 12/03/2021, my KIS4 airplane (SN 4052) has been flying for 20 years. Originallybuilt by Dave Tate as N92DT it has averaged 75 flight hours every year since then. I hope to see it flying for at least another 20 years.

mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

I have the same problem

I bought a used mobility scooter for $ 200.00 and it seems more than capable of pulling my plane.
If it is uphill into the hangar you may be able to winch it back in

I think you came to see my project in South Africa with John Petrie if I'm not mistaken, I am in Canada now so a big change for me.

I'm in a worse situation than you, my project still has not flown, busy getting the paperwork together for the big inspection,
Should happen in next 6 weeks or so.

Keep well

Mike

--

hansoncp(at)netnitco.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I had the same problem with my hangar approach so I made a KIS tug. I installed a  single 3/8” anchor in the hangar floor at about 2/3rds of the hangar depth and in line with the fuselage centerline. I bent a loop out of some flat iron that bolts to the anchor. This is for a winch cable hook. I bought a cheap 12 volt remote controlled winch from Harbor freight. I mounted the winch and a battery to an angle iron frame I fabricated that allows the angles to spread and two studs to engage in the tow bar holes on the nose wheel when aligned from the rear. I put two old lawn mower wheels on the rear of the frame. I put some foam pipe insulation over the angle irons where they are near the wheel pant to avoid any contact. I have a small tie angle on the front of the setup that you swing close and drop in a ¼’ locking bolt after you engage the studs in nose wheel. I’ve found putting a pipe wrench on the tie angle helps to steer the nose wheel into the hangar. Makes life a lot easier for us especially when we are full of fuel. I keep an old cable come-a-long in the hangar in case the battery gets low.

Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old

I hate to admit this but I had been working on my project for about a year when Dave Tate and his wife came to visit us and look over my project. Dave had just ordered his kit. Dave finished his project, flew it several years before selling it to Galin. Galin flew it all over the country while I was still working on my plane. My congratulations to both Dave and Galin for proving what a great airplane the Cruiser is.

I finally finished my plane a couple of years ago now.  It’s taken me the last two years to put the 40 hours of test flights. Getting the test flight time suffered from the same issues as the build…life just kept getting in the way and I had a house to build. Still have some work to do on the house but nothing that can’t wait for some well earned flying.  The only problem now is that I can’t push the plane back into the hangar by myself.  There’s a definite slope away from hangar and I am getting too old to have to put that much effort into pushing the plane. Bruised my ribs the last time I did it so I am now working on some kind of tug.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

As of 12/03/2021, my KIS4 airplane (SN 4052) has been flying for 20 years. Originally built by Dave Tate as N92DT it has averaged 75 flight hours every year since then. I hope to see it flying for at least another 20 years.

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

BobI also used a cheap Harbor freight winch to pull my plane back into the hanger. Looped a soft nylon rope around the horizontal stab, then could use the remote control on the winch while guiding from the front with a towbar. 
Bill
p.s. My plane is currently owned by a partnership in FL (second set of owners) and is being retrofitted for a Lycoming. My firewall forward with the Mazda is currently owned by a Cozy builder in TN who will be making it  'firewall aft' installation.
On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 8:03 PM Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net (hansoncp(at)netnitco.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Bob, I had the same problem with my hangar approach so I made a KIS tug. I installed a  single 3/8” anchor in the hangar floor at about 2/3rds of the hangar depth and in line with the fuselage centerline. I bent a loop out of some flat iron that bolts to the anchor. This is for a winch cable hook. I bought a cheap 12 volt remote controlled winch from Harbor freight. I mounted the winch and a battery to an angle iron frame I fabricated that allows the angles to spread and two studs to engage in the tow bar holes on the nose wheel when aligned from the rear. I put two old lawn mower wheels on the rear of the frame. I put some foam pipe insulation over the angle irons where they are near the wheel pant to avoid any contact. I have a small tie angle on the front of the setup that you swing close and drop in a ¼’ locking bolt after you engage the studs in nose wheel. I’ve found putting a pipe wrench on the tie angle helps to steer the nose wheel into the hangar. Makes life a lot easier for us especially when we are full of fuel. I keep an old cable come-a-long in the hangar in case the battery gets low.

Subject: Re: KIS-List: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old

I finally finished my plane a couple of years ago now.  It’s taken me the last two years to put the 40 hours of test flights. Getting the test flight time suffered from the same issues as the build…life just kept getting in the way and I had a house to build. Still have some work to do on the house but nothing that can’t wait for some well earned flying.  The only problem now is that I can’t push the plane back into the hangar by myself.  There’s a definite slope away from hangar and I am getting too old to have to put that much effort into pushing the plane. Bruised my ribs the last time I did it so I am now working on some kind of tug.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Great Minds....All come up with virtually the same solution.
My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law.  Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try.  Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible.  The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing.  Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY.  So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself.  I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top.  Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand.  Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with.  Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week.  My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Mike,
Sorry it wasn't me in South Africa but I wish it had been.
I tried the mobility scooter route and yes it will pull it just fine but not so great at pushing it back in. The issue is how those scooters interact with the nose wheel and trying to steer backwards. I have done research on a number of different push back tugs and all of them that connect to the free castering wheel seem to work the same way. When you want to change the direction of the nosewheel they lift the tug and turn the nose wheel then go back to pushing. The only way that could be done with the scooter would be a complete rebuild of the thing.
Keep us updated on that First Flight and pass us some photos.
Bob Reed

On Sunday, December 5, 2021, 08:27:34 PM CST, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--> KIS-List message posted by: <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com)>

Hello Bob,

I have the same problem

I bought a used mobility scooter for $ 200.00 and it seems more than capable of pulling my plane.

If it is uphill into the hangar you may be able to winch it back in

I think you came to see my project in South Africa with John Petrie if I'm not mistaken, I am in Canada now so a big change for me.

I'm in a worse situation than you, my project still has not flown, busy getting the paperwork together for the big inspection,

Should happen in next 6 weeks or so.

Keep well

Mike

--

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

I built a tug from an old (1994) riding lawn mower and it worked great. But then I was offered a real nice (read cheap) golf cart so I sold the lawn mower tug and set the golf cart up as a tug. You can see what I did under the maintenance section of my webpage. BUT, it took me longer to learn how to push the plane back into the hangar than what it took to build the tugs. It isn't as easy as it looks.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 11:48 AM William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
BobI also used a cheap Harbor freight winch to pull my plane back into the hanger. Looped a soft nylon rope around the horizontal stab, then could use the remote control on the winch while guiding from the front with a towbar. 
Bill
p.s. My plane is currently owned by a partnership in FL (second set of owners) and is being retrofitted for a Lycoming. My firewall forward with the Mazda is currently owned by a Cozy builder in TN who will be making it  'firewall aft' installation.
On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 8:03 PM Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net (hansoncp(at)netnitco.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 4, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

I still have the steerable front wheel so steering with the scooter is possible Pulling it out is very easy with the scooter but as Galin says the problem is getting it backed in
Have thought of of putting in a winch just to do that
Keep well

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2021, at 8:28 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I built a tug from an old (1994) riding lawn mower and it worked great. But then I was offered a real nice (read cheap) golf cart so I sold the lawn mower tug and set the golf cart up as a tug. You can see what I did under the maintenance section of my webpage. BUT, it took me longer to learn how to push the plane back into the hangar than what it took to build the tugs. It isn't as easy as it looks.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 11:48 AM William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Bill
p.s. My plane is currently owned by a partnership in FL (second set of owners) and is being retrofitted for a Lycoming. My firewall forward with the Mazda is currently owned by a Cozy builder in TN who will be making it 'firewall aft' installation.

Quote:

Hi Bob, I had the same problem with my hangar approach so I made a KIS tug. I installed a single 3/8” anchor in the hangar floor at about 2/3rds of the hangar depth and in line with the fuselage centerline. I bent a loop out of some flat iron that bolts to the anchor. This is for a winch cable hook. I bought a cheap 12 volt remote controlled winch from Harbor freight. I mounted the winch and a battery to an angle iron frame I fabricated that allows the angles to spread and two studs to engage in the tow bar holes on the nose wheel when aligned from the rear. I put two old lawn mower wheels on the rear of the frame. I put some foam pipe insulation over the angle irons where they are near the wheel pant to avoid any contact. I have a small tie angle on the front of the setup that you swing close and drop in a ¼’ locking bolt after you engage the studs in nose wheel. I’ve found putting a pipe wrench on the tie angle helps to steer the nose wheel into the hangar. Makes life a lot easier for us especially when we are full of fuel. I keep an old cable come-a-long in the hangar in case the battery gets low.

I finally finished my plane a couple of years ago now. It’s taken me the last two years to put the 40 hours of test flights. Getting the test flight time suffered from the same issues as the build…life just kept getting in the way and I had a house to build. Still have some work to do on the house but nothing that can’t wait for some well earned flying. The only problem now is that I can’t push the plane back into the hangar by myself. There’s a definite slope away from hangar and I am getting too old to have to put that much effort into pushing the plane. Bruised my ribs the last time I did it so I am now working on some kind of tug.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

hansoncp(at)netnitco.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Bob, I will be at my hangar next Monday. I will take a picture of my setup. Simply put, mine is a tow bar that connects to the toe bar points on the nosewheel that has a an onboard winch, with a Bluetooth remote, that attaches to an anchor point in the hangar floor.

Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 1:27 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com

My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law.  Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try.  Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible.  The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing.  Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY.  So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself.  I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top.  Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand.  Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with.  Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week.  My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Ed,

Sounds entirely different from what I have done and I would really like to see the photos.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net> wrote:

Bob, I will be at my hangar next Monday. I will take a picture of my setup. Simply put, mine is a tow bar that connects to the toe bar points on the nosewheel that has a an onboard winch, with a Bluetooth remote, that attaches to an anchor point in the hangar floor.

Great Minds...All come up with virtually the same solution.

My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law. Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try. Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible. The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing. Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY. So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself. I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top. Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand. Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with. Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week. My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front.

Thanks for your input, it confirms the workability of the winch system for me.

Great to hear from you Bill and hated to hear that you sold your plane but understand.

Ed Hanson, I would like to see a photo of your setup, it sounds entirely different from what I am doing and I would like to see how you worked it. Not sure if I understood that you are pulling back using the nose wheel or not. If so, how do you steer the plane when it is backing up?

Thanks,

Bob Reed

On Monday, December 6, 2021, 10:28:11 AM CST, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bob
I also used a cheap Harbor freight winch to pull my plane back into the hanger. Looped a soft nylon rope around the horizontal stab, then could use the remote control on the winch while guiding from the front with a towbar.

Bill

p.s. My plane is currently owned by a partnership in FL (second set of owners) and is being retrofitted for a Lycoming. My firewall forward with the Mazda is currently owned by a Cozy builder in TN who will be making it 'firewall aft' installation.

Quote:

Hi Bob, I had the same problem with my hangar approach so I made a KIS tug. I installed a single 3/8” anchor in the hangar floor at about 2/3rds of the hangar depth and in line with the fuselage centerline. I bent a loop out of some flat iron that bolts to the anchor. This is for a winch cable hook. I bought a cheap 12 volt remote controlled winch from Harbor freight. I mounted the winch and a battery to an angle iron frame I fabricated that allows the angles to spread and two studs to engage in the tow bar holes on the nose wheel when aligned from the rear. I put two old lawn mower wheels on the rear of the frame. I put some foam pipe insulation over the angle irons where they are near the wheel pant to avoid any contact. I have a small tie angle on the front of the setup that you swing close and drop in a ¼’ locking bolt after you engage the studs in nose wheel. I’ve found putting a pipe wrench on the tie angle helps to steer the nose wheel into the hangar. Makes life a lot easier for us especially when we are full of fuel. I keep an old cable come-a-long in the hangar in case the battery gets low.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

[img]cid:7EA3E720-0158-4FC0-8F36-07A672F7421A[/img]

[img]cid:398AC667-0C50-4B7F-AB7C-3D5DB6E2B9E9[/img]
I am setting it up to use the tie down for the tail to pull and guide while I push and steer the nose with the tow bar. Got the stand firmly anchored to the floor, just need battery and testing.
Going to add a guide and stop to keep from pulling too far.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 10, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net> wrote:

Ed,

Sounds entirely different from what I have done and I would really like to see the photos.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net> wrote:

Great Minds...All come up with virtually the same solution.

My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law. Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try. Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible. The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing. Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY. So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself. I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top. Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand. Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with. Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week. My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front.

Great to hear from you Bill and hated to hear that you sold your plane but understand.

Ed Hanson, I would like to see a photo of your setup, it sounds entirely different from what I am doing and I would like to see how you worked it. Not sure if I understood that you are pulling back using the nose wheel or not. If so, how do you steer the plane when it is backing up?

Thanks,

Bob Reed

On Monday, December 6, 2021, 10:28:11 AM CST, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bob
I also used a cheap Harbor freight winch to pull my plane back into the hanger. Looped a soft nylon rope around the horizontal stab, then could use the remote control on the winch while guiding from the front with a towbar.

Bill

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.09 KB
 Viewed:  5592 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.67 KB
 Viewed:  5592 Time(s)

image.jpg

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Interesting, but I have never been a fan of pulling the airplane by the tail tie down. Not sure it can handle the forces on it from an angle instead of straight down as it was designed.

Keep us updated on how it works and well it stands up to being pulled on this way.

On Friday, December 10, 2021, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

I am setting it up to use the tie down for the tail to pull and guide while I push and steer the nose with the tow bar. Got the stand firmly anchored to the floor, just need battery and testing. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 10, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Ed,

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net (hansoncp(at)netnitco.net)> wrote:

My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law.  Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try.  Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible.  The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing.  Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY.  So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself.  I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top.  Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand.  Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with.  Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week.  My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front.

Ed Hanson, I would like to see a photo of your setup, it sounds entirely different from what I am doing and I would like to see how you worked it.  Not sure if I understood that you are pulling back using the nose wheel or not.  If so, how do you steer the plane when it is backing up?

Thanks, 

Bob Reed

On Monday, December 6, 2021, 10:28:11 AM CST, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bob

Bill

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

image.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5587 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5587 Time(s)

image.jpg

dadmeyers1951(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Bill S, our builder specifically told us not to pull from the rear tie.
Down ok but not back. I guess it could be dependant on how it was installed
during build.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021, 3:25 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Interesting, but I have never been a fan of pulling the airplane by the
tail tie down. Not sure it can handle the forces on it from an angle
instead of straight down as it was designed.

Keep us updated on how it works and well it stands up to being pulled on
this way.

On Friday, December 10, 2021, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net> wrote:

> I am setting it up to use the tie down for the tail to pull and guide
> while I push and steer the nose with the tow bar. Got the stand firmly
> anchored to the floor, just need battery and testing.
>
> Going to add a guide and stop to keep from pulling too far.
>
> Bob Reed
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 10, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net> wrote:
>
> Ed,
>
> Sounds entirely different from what I have done and I would really like
> to see the photos.
>
> Bob Reed
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 9, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net> wrote:
>
> 
>
> Bob, I will be at my hangar next Monday. I will take a picture of my
> setup. Simply put, mine is a tow bar that connects to the toe bar points on
> the nosewheel that has a an onboard winch, with a Bluetooth remote, that
> attaches to an anchor point in the hangar floor.
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows
>
> *From: *Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net>
> *Sent: *Monday, December 6, 2021 1:27 PM
> *To: *kis-list(at)matronics.com
> *Subject: *Re: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old
>
> Great Minds....All come up with virtually the same solution.
>
> My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered
> scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law. Put a connection for the
> tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try. Pulled the plane out without
> a problem but pushing it back in was impossible. The way the steering
> works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing. Tried
> multiple configurations and NO JOY. So, next option was the Harbor Freight
> Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my
> pickup by myself. I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting
> the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top. Put
> anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand.
> Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and
> plenty of cable to work with. Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to
> do so this week. My tow connection will be to the rear tie down
> supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front.
>
> Thanks for your input, it confirms the workability of the winch system
> for me.
>
> Great to hear from you Bill and hated to hear that you sold your plane
> but understand.
>
> Ed Hanson, I would like to see a photo of your setup, it sounds entirely
> different from what I am doing and I would like to see how you worked it

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

First is that I won’t be using the winch to pull alone but to assist me on the pushing with the tow bar and help guide the tail into position.

Second, I would not have even considered using the tiedown if I had used the standard tie down. I designed a self-retracting tie down from u-channel mounted on a hard base and glassed in with multiple layers of glass. There’s some photos of it on my website. It should be equally or greater strength in lateral pull as down. I should know more by the end of this week.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 11, 2021, at 3:50 PM, Glenn <dadmeyers1951(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bill S, our builder specifically told us not to pull from the rear tie. Down ok but not back. I guess it could be dependant on how it was installed during build.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021, 3:25 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Interesting, but I have never been a fan of pulling the airplane by the tail tie down. Not sure it can handle the forces on it from an angle instead of straight down as it was designed.

Keep us updated on how it works and well it stands up to being pulled on this way.

On Friday, December 10, 2021, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 10, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Ed,

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Ed Hanson <hansoncp(at)netnitco.net (hansoncp(at)netnitco.net)> wrote:

Thanks,

Bob Reed

On Monday, December 6, 2021, 10:28:11 AM CST, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bob

Bill

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

image.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5575 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5575 Time(s)

image.jpg

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: KIS4 SN 4052 is 20yrs old Reply with quote

Yes, I was specific about not using the rear tail attachment to pull the plane in. The reason is that applies a rotary torque to the hold-down, which can peel the fiberglass on the inside of the fuselage. My prefered method was to put a rope over one side of the HZ stab, go under the fuselage, and up over the other side of the HZ stab. The rope was then attached to the cable, and the forces were distributed over a large area of very strong construction.Bill Schertz
On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 2:51 PM Glenn <dadmeyers1951(at)gmail.com (dadmeyers1951(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Bill S, our builder specifically told us not to pull from the rear tie. Down ok but not back. I guess it could be dependant on how it was installed during build.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021, 3:25 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Ed,

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

My first thought and effort was put into modifying a Jazzy Pride powered scooter that I inherited from my mother-in-law.  Put a connection for the tow bar on the front of it and gave it a try.  Pulled the plane out without a problem but pushing it back in was impossible.  The way the steering works on the scooter was impossible to control when pushing.  Tried multiple configurations and NO JOY.  So, next option was the Harbor Freight Winch I had bought two years ago for helping me load heavy loads into my pickup by myself.  I have a sturdy and heavy metal stand that I am mounting the winch on with the battery and controls on a shelf under the top.  Put anchor bolts into the hangar floor and will be bolting it to the stand.  Winch looks like it will be at just right height for straight pull and plenty of cable to work with.  Haven't finished the hookup yet but hope to do so this week.  My tow connection will be to the rear tie down supplemented by pushing with the tow bar from the front.

Ed Hanson, I would like to see a photo of your setup, it sounds entirely different from what I am doing and I would like to see how you worked it.  Not sure if I understood that you are pulling back using the nose wheel or not.  If so, how do you steer the plane when it is backing up?

Thanks, 

Bob Reed

Bob

Bill

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: