Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnFrance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

Hi All,
Once again, read one time too many, the top fuselage fuel tank vent mounted just in front of the fuel filler (classic) has dribbled out fuel during the climb and once due to expansion of the fuel with a nearly full tank while on the ground!
I have added a reservoir in the shape of a large fuel filter in the vent line high up in the fuselage in the hope that it would allow air to pass by while keeping the fuel inside the aircraft. This has made a marginal improvement but not cured the problem.
I am thinking a second vent in the bottom of the fuselage is the way to go.

Has anyone done this, what was the shape, position and direction of the lower vent tube and can you supply any details and photos of your installation please?

Thanks in advance,

John

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

John,

Look in the Bud Yerly articles on the club website for his suggestion on doing this.

We did it during the initial build and basically used the factory vent pipe facing forward but shielded by the fairing for the stbd side flap actuator hinge. It will get dirt in it so during every inspection, we blow it out with solvent to ensure it is clear. Sorry no photo, but could take one next time at airport if desired.

Jim & Heather

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JohnFrance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

Thanks Jim
Do not archive

dpark748(at)me.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

My vent are underneath in a position near flap hinges so to prevent mud splatter from mono wheel. Since the I changed to trike and never had a problem
Dave G-LDVO
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 15 Sep 2021, at 09:47, JohnFrance <77alembert(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
Once again, read one time too many, the top fuselage fuel tank vent mounted just in front of the fuel filler (classic) has dribbled out fuel during the climb and once due to expansion of the fuel with a nearly full tank while on the ground!
I have added a reservoir in the shape of a large fuel filter in the vent line high up in the fuselage in the hope that it would allow air to pass by while keeping the fuel inside the aircraft. This has made a marginal improvement but not cured the problem.
I am thinking a second vent in the bottom of the fuselage is the way to go.

Has anyone done this, what was the shape, position and direction of the lower vent tube and can you supply any details and photos of your installation please?

Thanks in advance,

John

--------
Europa mono Nr 192

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=503152#503152

duanefamly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

Hey John,
I am running a Jabiru 3300 so I do not have a return line. But I do have a tube from the top of the tank for expansion purposes. I installed a "T" into the top of the fuel inlet and ran the expansion hose into the bottom of the "T" and ran another line from the top of the "T" down the inside to the bottom of the fuselage with the protrusion bent to aim aft. I hope this helps your thought process.

Mike Duane N377EA
Europa XS Conventional Gear

--

Roland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank vent overflowing during climb Reply with quote

Hi John,

as an easy fix of the problem I have the tank vent line connected to the top of the fuel filler neck and from there another vent line to the top of the fuselage. Works well and no fuel spilling out, even during steep 914 Turbo climbouts Smile

Regards
Roland
D-ERIG
XS TG 914

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: