Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ofcom gobbledegook ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian.davies44(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

And for those not members of AOPA the LAA website has information.  Basically, don't worry about it at the moment.

Brian Davies
On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
I wrote an article for the August AOPA magazine. 

Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 25 Aug 2021, at 19:16, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:

Hi All,

Has anyone else had a letter from ‘Ofcom’ (UK) regarding licensing conditions ???

Didn’t understand a word of it & how it relates to us pilots ??

There is a due date of 18th Nov 2021 relating to our frequency useage but don’t understand what we are supposed to do ??

I’m flying with a Garmin 225a transeiver & a Garmin GTX 328 Transponder (installed 5yrs ago).

Any help please ??

Paul Munford   G-OVPM

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
pmdental(at)btinternet.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

To – Brian Davies

re – Ofcom,....Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this on the LAA website ?

Any clues as to it’s whereabouts please on the site ?

Thankyou

Paul

Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 9:40 AM
To: Europa-List(at)Matronics. Com
Subject: Re: ofcom gobbledegook ??

And for those not members of AOPA the LAA website has information. Basically, don't worry about it at the moment.
Brian Davies

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 25 Aug 2021, at 19:16, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Has anyone else had a letter from ‘Ofcom’ (UK) regarding licensing conditions ???

There is a due date of 18th Nov 2021 relating to our frequency useage but don’t understand what we are supposed to do ??

I’m flying with a Garmin 225a transeiver & a Garmin GTX 328 Transponder (installed 5yrs ago).

Any help please ??

Paul Munford G-OVPM

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Burrilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

From the AOPA Website:

https://www.aopa.co.uk/news-media/selected-news/item/745-ofcom-emf-guidance-for-aeronautical-radio-users.html
Alan Burrill

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

To – Brian Davies

re – Ofcom,....Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this on the LAA website ?

Thankyou

Paul

And for those not members of AOPA the LAA website has information. Basically, don't worry about it at the moment.
Brian Davies

Quote:
Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Hi All,

Any help please ??

Paul Munford G-OVPM

Burrilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

This is what I have done for my aircraft and installation. I have attached to the aircraft documents the following:

I have undertaken an assessment required by Ofcom to determine the risk of exposure to harmful EMF radiation from equipment installed and determined the following.

FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment

brian.davies44(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

The LAA guidance link is contained in the Latest News section of the website http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2021/News/Ofcom_guidance.html

As Alan says, OFCOM have backed off and now recognise (we hope) that our little aircraft are no threat and they are owned by people who are not experts in the subject.  As a result of input from the LAA and AOPA , OFCOM have issued simplified guidance see
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/220797/emf-licence-condition-what-you-need-to-know-aeronautical-radio.pdf

Brian
On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 9:09 AM Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
This is what I have done for my aircraft and installation. I have attached to the aircraft documents the following:

I have undertaken an assessment required by Ofcom to determine the risk of exposure to harmful EMF radiation from equipment installed and determined the following.
FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment.
VHF Handheld Radio: The radiated power is below that required for assessment.
VHF Radio: The  manufactures stated specification for nominal output power is 6 watt. The radio is used for less than 90 seconds in any 6 minute period and is therefore compliant.
Transponder: I have undertaken an assessment an determined that with a manufactures specified output of 125 watt and a duty cycle of 0.55% the radiated power is less than 4 watt. The compliance distance required is determined as less than 26cm (0.26m). The antenna is mounted in the rear fuselage and is more than 26 cm from the passenger compartment and is is only selected to transmit prior to take-of and deselected as part of the after landing checks.
From the above assessment I have determined that there is no risk of EMF exposure to the General Public from any transmitter equipment installed in this aircraft.

This is specific to my aircraft but hope that helps.
Alan Burrill
PS I am a retired radar engineer and provided the technical feedback/advice on compliance to the CAA and Ofcom through AOPA.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 28 Aug 2021, at 07:52, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)> wrote:

From the AOPA Website:

https://www.aopa.co.uk/news-media/selected-news/item/745-ofcom-emf-guidance-for-aeronautical-radio-users.html
Alan Burrill

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:

To – Brian Davies

Thankyou

Paul

And for those not members of AOPA the LAA website has information.  Basically, don't worry about it at the moment.  
Brian Davies

Quote:
Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Hi All,

Any help please ??

Paul Munford   G-OVPM

pmdental(at)btinternet.co

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

Alan/Brian,

Thankyou so much !

Extremely helpful & reassuring.

Regards Paul Munford

Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 9:06 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment.

VHF Handheld Radio: The radiated power is below that required for assessment.

VHF Radio: The manufactures stated specification for nominal output power is 6 watt. The radio is used for less than 90 seconds in any 6 minute period and is therefore compliant.

Transponder: I have undertaken an assessment an determined that with a manufactures specified output of 125 watt and a duty cycle of 0.55% the radiated power is less than 4 watt. The compliance distance required is determined as less than 26cm (0.26m). The antenna is mounted in the rear fuselage and is more than 26 cm from the passenger compartment and is is only selected to transmit prior to take-of and deselected as part of the after landing checks.

From the above assessment I have determined that there is no risk of EMF exposure to the General Public from any transmitter equipment installed in this aircraft.

This is specific to my aircraft but hope that helps.

Alan Burrill

PS I am a retired radar engineer and provided the technical feedback/advice on compliance to the CAA and Ofcom through AOPA.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 28 Aug 2021, at 07:52, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

From the AOPA Website:

Alan Burrill

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

To – Brian Davies

Thankyou

Paul

Brian Davies

Quote:
Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Hi All,

Any help please ??

Paul Munford G-OVPM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: