ofcom gobbledegook ??

brian.davies44(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

And for those not members of AOPA the LAA website has information.  Basically, don't worry about it at the moment.

Brian Davies
On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
I wrote an article for the August AOPA magazine.

Alan Burrill
G-OBJT

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 25 Aug 2021, at 19:16, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:

 Hi All,

Has anyone else had a letter from ‘Ofcom’ (UK) regarding licensing conditions ???

Didn’t understand a word of it & how it relates to us pilots ??

There is a due date of 18th Nov 2021 relating to our frequency useage but don’t understand what we are supposed to do ??

I’m flying with a Garmin 225a transeiver & a Garmin GTX 328 Transponder (installed 5yrs ago).

Any help please ??

Paul Munford   G-OVPM

pmdental(at)btinternet.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

To – Brian Davies

re – Ofcom,....Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this on the LAA website ?

Any clues as to it’s whereabouts please on the site ?

Thankyou

Paul

On 25 Aug 2021, at 19:16, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

 Hi All,

Has anyone else had a letter from ‘Ofcom’ (UK) regarding licensing conditions ???

Didn’t understand a word of it & how it relates to us pilots ??

There is a due date of 18th Nov 2021 relating to our frequency useage but don’t understand what we are supposed to do ??

I’m flying with a Garmin 225a transeiver & a Garmin GTX 328 Transponder (installed 5yrs ago).

Any help please ??

Paul Munford G-OVPM

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

From the AOPA Website:

https://www.aopa.co.uk/news-media/selected-news/item/745-ofcom-emf-guidance-for-aeronautical-radio-users.html
Alan Burrill

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

This is what I have done for my aircraft and installation. I have attached to the aircraft documents the following:

I have undertaken an assessment required by Ofcom to determine the risk of exposure to harmful EMF radiation from equipment installed and determined the following.

FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment

brian.davies44(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

The LAA guidance link is contained in the Latest News section of the website http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2021/News/Ofcom_guidance.html

As Alan says, OFCOM have backed off and now recognise (we hope) that our little aircraft are no threat and they are owned by people who are not experts in the subject.  As a result of input from the LAA and AOPA , OFCOM have issued simplified guidance see
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/220797/emf-licence-condition-what-you-need-to-know-aeronautical-radio.pdf

Brian
On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 9:09 AM Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk (alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
This is what I have done for my aircraft and installation. I have attached to the aircraft documents the following:

I have undertaken an assessment required by Ofcom to determine the risk of exposure to harmful EMF radiation from equipment installed and determined the following.
FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment.
VHF Handheld Radio: The radiated power is below that required for assessment.
VHF Radio: The  manufactures stated specification for nominal output power is 6 watt. The radio is used for less than 90 seconds in any 6 minute period and is therefore compliant.
Transponder: I have undertaken an assessment an determined that with a manufactures specified output of 125 watt and a duty cycle of 0.55% the radiated power is less than 4 watt. The compliance distance required is determined as less than 26cm (0.26m). The antenna is mounted in the rear fuselage and is more than 26 cm from the passenger compartment and is is only selected to transmit prior to take-of and deselected as part of the after landing checks.
From the above assessment I have determined that there is no risk of EMF exposure to the General Public from any transmitter equipment installed in this aircraft.

This is specific to my aircraft but hope that helps.
Alan Burrill
PS I am a retired radar engineer and provided the technical feedback/advice on compliance to the CAA and Ofcom through AOPA.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

From the AOPA Website:

On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: ofcom gobbledegook ?? Reply with quote

Alan/Brian,

Thankyou so much !

Extremely helpful & reassuring.

Regards Paul Munford