Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna Coax Routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trichmond(at)obermeyer.co

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Antenna Coax Routing Reply with quote

Folks,

This might be a newbie question but I’m giving it a shot none the less.  I have an RV-7A (or part of one at this point) in which I am planning on mounting my VOR and marker beacon antennas in the wingtips (one in each tip).  Can I route my antenna coax in the same conduit with the nav, landing, and strobe lights or should I do a separate run some distance away to avoid any potential interference.  The current set up has one transformer for the strobes mounted in the fuselage and a shielded wire running to the wing tips (the strobes ground back at the transformer).  The nav, landing and taxi lights are grounded locally on the wingtips.

My other concern is that at some point I would like to upgrade to a HID system for the landing/taxi lights which would require a local power transformer by the light.  Has anybody had any experience with interference caused by these next to an antenna?

Thanks for any input.

Todd R. Richmond
RV-7A

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Antenna Coax Routing Reply with quote

Todd Just a thought but....

If you mount a comm in one wingtip, Nav in the other and marker bacon in the bottom of the cowl  you'll have no com attenna sticking out in the breeze (at least one less if you have more than one com) and you'll reduce the amount of coazxyou have to run out to the wings.

Frank

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Todd Richmond
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:42 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Antenna Coax Routing

Folks,

This might be a newbie question but I’m giving it a shot none the less.  I have an RV-7A (or part of one at this point) in which I am planning on mounting my VOR and marker beacon antennas in the wingtips (one in each tip).  Can I route my antenna coax in the same conduit with the nav, landing, and strobe lights or should I do a separate run some distance away to avoid any potential interference.  The current set up has one transformer for the strobes mounted in the fuselage and a shielded wire running to the wing tips (the strobes ground back at the transformer).  The nav, landing and taxi lights are grounded locally on the wingtips.

My other concern is that at some point I would like to upgrade to a HID system for the landing/taxi lights which would require a local power transformer by the light.  Has anybody had any experience with interference caused by these next to an antenna?

Thanks for any input.

Todd R. Richmond
RV-7A

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Antenna Coax Routing Reply with quote

On Jul 27, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Todd Richmond wrote:

Quote:
This might be a newbie question but I’m giving it a shot none the
less. I have an RV-7A (or part of one at this point) in which I am
planning on mounting my VOR and marker beacon antennas in the
wingtips (one in each tip).
If you plan to use the VOR antenna for general VOR navigation, it

might not work all that well as it is not going to receive well in
all directions. If you plan to use it for flying an ILS where the
transmitter is likely to be right in front of you, it will probably
work pretty well.

A blade type antenna on the VS is still the best way to go but a
catwhisker antenna on the top of the VS or bottom of the fuselage is
pretty good.

Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak AT lloyd DOT com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: