Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel Reply with quote

Jonathan,
Most of the US is still 5% ethanol but the pump says up to 10%. In testing here in Florida, the actual ethanol seems to be between 5-10% as advertised.

I've found that as long as the fuel is used soon (within a couple weeks) it is fine with no detonation. The problem comes in with water absorption and loss of octane when in storage or non-use.
I have a couple customers that use MoGas (highest octane available) in their 912 and 912S without failure or deterioration they are aware of. They just don’t trust the fuel beyond three weeks. Pump out the old fuel into the car and put in fresh fuel in the plane before you go flying.

With no antiknock sensors in the Rotax, one has to be careful in the 912S. The 912 doesn't mind what it runs.
No vapor lock reported. If the plane is hot, there have been reports of poor starting. The remedy is run the fuel pump a little longer to flush fresh fuel into the lines and any vapor bubbles out and starts are normal. Cold weather starts are always better with AvGas.

My article on my website is still accurate and many other writers on-line and in magazines agree that it is safe to use the highest octanes if fresh. I do see deterioration in the Redux used in the fuel boss course screens when using ethanol laced fuel, over time, but it isn't bad. My old Piersburg fuel pumps got brittle, but they were old so no long term testing was done to see if it was just age or the fuel.
Fuel hoses that are lined (R-7 or better aka vapor barrier hose) control the stinky gas and hold up for years. Tank material is not an issue.

Watch your float bowls for corrosion if you insist on leaving the bowls full of old MoGas. Use a fuel system stabilizer for storage, but better yet, drain the carbs and fuel pumps. The Rotax O rings seem to hold up well in the carbs, but down at Lockwood Kerry has seen some crumbling O rings in those plane that get little use (old gas) or any preemptive maintenance.

See my website, and the many articles on-line that give the pros and cons of course.

Since I keep my aircraft at an airport, I use AvGas in my 914. I ran fresh 93 octane (R+M/2 method over here) in it one time to see how it ran, and it was OK for that test hop which ran from sea level to 10K at max continuous power then cruised and it seemed to run well. I researched octane and its rating system, and the general consensus is octane ratings are fairly conservative.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel Reply with quote

Bud,

Your prompt and insightful reply is appreciated, as always. It remains to be seen what, if any, pronouncements our Light Aircraft Association might make in the coming weeks as the September introduction of E10 draws near.

At my airfield there is 100LL available, but those of us with Rotax engines are mindful that using it all of the time will have servicing implications.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Question for United States friends regarding E10 fuel Reply with quote

In 500 hours of running AvGas, I find the AvGas use in the Rotax issues minor for us in the States:

Oil change at 25 hrs. Which I do anyway.
Fuel additive to remember. That's hard for us "old forgetfuls".
Clean the oil tank to remove lead at 100 hrs.

Cost? Adds $2.50 per hour in the States, double that overseas.
A quart of lead scavenger.
No worries about fuel components. No draining fuel or lugging cans of gas.
Airport operations fees are low in the States.
Higher overseas and in urban areas.

If you fly only 25-50 hrs. per year, it's noise level cost. If you fly 100s of hours, from non service airports, and must transport fuel, it can make a difference.

But in the overall cost of aircraft maintenance, it's not that much in my opinion. But then again, we all treat our planes differently, and have to meet maintenance and upkeep bills for our particular home fields.

Bud Yerly