Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Hey, All!

I need to replace some problematic original Russian rigid air lines. I would like to do that with a more flexible aluminum tubing. Has anyone else done this? And do you have any recommendations on what to use and where to get it? Thanks so much… Fly safe!

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
bwade154(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Rico I remember a guy using Stainless Steel Braided Hose with AN fittings

On Saturday, June 26, 2021, 02:51:46 PM EDT, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

That sounds awesome! Does anyone have specks for that swap?? Assuming the original B nut is retained…? Thanks, Bill!!!

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

[...]

markbitterlich(at)embarqm
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Rico.  I'm quite surprised no one has made this clear.  AN fitting threads will not go on Russian threaded fittings.  You can make a kind of lashup using standard Teflon core stainless steel flex hose, if you can assemble it with the Russian fitting on top of the flare end, but I am not aware of anyone selling that pre-assembled.  And.... it is kind of a huge deal to convert the whole airplane over to "AN" standard.

What would be way cool is if someone made cross series adapters.   Seems to me I remember someone selling such an animal years ago for the engine fittings. I think it was the Pitts Model 12.  You might look into that.
It is possible to use the Russian nuts on American pipe, with the proper flare, but I believe someone already explained that.
AN fittings will not fit on Russian metric B nuts.
Good Luck!
MGB

[...]

69gcbc

Joined: 12 Aug 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

https://www.92ndwestaviation.com/m14p-radial-engine

On Saturday, June 26, 2021, 02:51:46 PM EDT, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Thanks Todd! That is EXACTLY what I remember seeing!

You're da shit dude.
Mark

[...]

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

The only AN part that applies here is an AN 4 sleeve that fits over the American 1/4” 5052 tubing and inside of the metric B nut. ie: slide the metric B nut over the tubing, then the AN4 sleeve. Then flare the tubing.

5052 aluminum is soft enough to “form” over the metric male flare even if the 5052 tubing is flared with the standard AN flaring tool.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 27, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

I get that, Mark. Was planning on swapping the line only, (newly flared) but reusing the B nut. I have a metric flaring kit, so it sounds simple enough…? I think it’s just a 6mm OD that is crucial… Or am I missing something? Either way, THANK YOU for your input, Guys!!!

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705
[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

THAT is what I needed to here! Thank you, Dennis!!

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

HEAR…good grief.

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

<<Metric to AN adapters>>Mark, you can thank Dr. Curtiss "Tater" Stinis for that link.

-Todd
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
HEAR…good grief.

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

[...]

pennington.construction.i
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Dennis is right as usual.  I have had this conversation with him and Doug many times.  The only thing I would add is I have found that sometimes you have to drill the B nut out to slide over the new tubing.  Also, make sure you use a 37 degree flaring tool.  The flaring tool in your tool  box for American brake lines is a 34 degree flare.

You can get the 1/4" 37 degree sleeves at Aircraft spruce.
Clean up your metric B nuts and possibly drill them out.  Some of my B nuts go right over the new tubing and others don't.
Mark Pennington
N621CJ
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 6:05 PM Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
HEAR…good grief.

Rico Jaeger
915 S 11th Ave
Wausau, WI 54401
715. 529.7426
//
Yak 52 / N21YK. ^/---//-X
Hangar 21 / AUW. //
//
Ryan PT-22. ^/---//-X
Hangar 35 / AUW. //

EAA #345804
Warbird #13705

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Rico,If you do use 6mm tubing, reuse the metric sleeve from the section of tubing you’re replacing.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 27, 2021, at 5:53 PM, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

Once again, Walt inevitably fills in the blanks. Both Walt and Mark mentioned increasing the ID of the metric B nut, which I failed to mention in my posts. Thank you Walt and Mark for putting the finishing touch on my post. Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 27, 2021, at 8:24 PM, W LANNON <wlannon(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Dennis; I made note of this process in my previous to Rico.  What I have found over the years in the conversion of 6 mm tube to 1/4" is the fitting of the metric "B" nut over the AN4 Sleeve. It is necessary to increase the shoulder dia. of the "B" nut a relatively small amount but enough to give some consideration to the remaining axial bearing area of the nut shoulder which must carry the full pressure load.

This area should be carefully examined for any existing discrepancies before putting into service.

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Pneumatic Rigid Line Replacement Reply with quote

You've got it right Rico!

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours