Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XS Tail wheel assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingphil2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for all the parts to make a complete XS tailwheel assembly.
I ideally want new, unused parts - does anyone have any bits lying around that they'd like to sell?

Thanks,

Phil

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Area-51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

Make sure you apply Mod77 when you fit the tailwheel assembly; it’s made a huge difference to affective ground control on the aircraft... flew circuits for the first time yesterday after fitting the mod and found it more precise and responsive to minor rudder inputs and ability to maintain centerline... finding it no more challenging than a Motorfalke to handle on the ground now.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

freddythek10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

Phil…While I recognize you as a highly experienced Europa builder, I pass along two modifications to the stock Europa tailwheel which have been recommended to me by others.
First, add a stop to prevent the tailwheel from rotating more than approximately 30 deg in either direction...shown below is a half inch thick aluminum stop…mine came to me as part of the Singleton tail wheel mod.

Second, I cut off the ears of the stock fitting and made up a bracket from 1/8” 4130 plate configured to a design suggested to me by William Mills, RIP, which has two beneficial attributes: there are 3 sets of holes which allow for adjusting the sensitivity of rudder pedal inputs…(the outermost set of holes for the novice and allowing for less sensitivity, and by using the innermost sets of holes the result is less sensitivity and decreased turning radius)… and the sets of holes are further forward than the holes in the stock “ears” so that string lines dropping thru the holes are perfectly aligned with the vertical tail wheel pivot rod which decreases the strain on the entire assembly.

PS: Ignore the bronze split-bolts shown in lieu of the second set of nicopress sleeves.
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:27 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com (philipjtiller(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
I'm looking for all the parts to make a complete XS tailwheel assembly.I ideally want new, unused parts - does anyone have any bits lying around that they'd like to sell?Thanks,PhilRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502262#502262

[img]cid:8CC9F232-5B8E-465C-8A0D-51F2800E2C23[/img]

DSCN0063.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.44 KB
 Viewed:  2883 Time(s)

DSCN0063.jpeg

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

David…you wrote:
"Sorry to disagree with Fred but I feel strongly you do not want to limit tailwheel travel to 30 degrees. I too have the Singleton mod and as you can see it allows the tail wheel to turn around 80 degrees in either direction.”

Of course I defer to your judgement and experience on all matters Europa…I believe I had written to limit tailwheel travel to 30 deg. in either direction, and I had just eyeballed the 30 deg. from my build photo…it may well be closer to 40 deg. in either direction which would yield the 80 deg. you mention which appears to be what your photo indicates.

As I recall, Graham’s instructions called for dressing the limiting block so that it mates with the tail spring when tailwheel rotates to its max. Some additional dressing of my install may be called for.

Thanks for your comment,

Fred
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2021, at 8:25 AM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:

Phil, Sorry to disagree with Fred but I feel strongly you do not want to limit tailwheel travel to 30 degrees. I too have the Singleton mod and as you can see it allows the tail wheel to turn around 80 degrees in either direction. This is a great help in manoeuvring either whilst taxying or pulling the plane around in the hangar. Experienced mono pilots can almost pivot on the main wheel with a judicious use of throttle and brake.(Emphasis on judicious - overdo it and you go A over T and break the prop). I have no figures for it but I would be very surprised if you need as much as 20 degree tail wheel turn in the process of landing or T/O, where the emphasis should be on sticking meticulously to a straight line, correcting any deviation sooner rather than later. I understand the function of the stop is to prevent the wheel twisting beyond 90 degrees when the rudder cables would be crossed and rudder action would make things worse rather than going back to neutral position.
Regards, David Joyce GXSDJ

flyingphil2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your comments on this - it's really useful.

Phil

flyingphil2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

Further to this - used parts in good condition would be fine too. Anyone got a used but unwanted tail spring and tailwheel fork in good condition?

aspenbuild(at)me.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: XS Tail wheel assembly Reply with quote

If you get stuck Phil I’ve got one here in Portugal, not back till end of August but can post.
Richard

www.quintadocobral.com

Quote:
On 22 Jun 2021, at 10:06, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Further to this - used parts in good condition would be fine too. Anyone got a used but unwanted tail spring and tailwheel fork in good condition?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502525#502525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: