Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospective buyer - few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyguy909(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Prospective buyer - few questions Reply with quote

Hello, first time poster.  I'm retired in central FL and thinking of getting back in the saddle.  I'm about a 300 hour pilot, used to own a Beech Sundowner and flew it cross country a few times with my wife.  Sold it in 2008 with the idea of getting something faster, then the economy tanked and before you know it it's been over 10 years.

Saw the Lightning at SunnFun 2008 and fell in love with it.  Checked it out again down there a few weeks ago.  My mission is mostly XC at faster than 115 knots.. so going for basic med here shortly and don't foresee any problem but you never know.
So thinking that finding a used built one may be cheaper and quicker than the builder assist program, I see a used 2006 LS-1 for $70K.   First question is how easy is it to convert a LS-1?  Is it just replacing the extended wing tips, prop and putting on leg fairings?  Is that doable/cost effective?
Also, I have 2 nice airports about 45 minutes away, but there is a nice grassstrip 1 mile down the road 4170 ft x 150.  They have covered tie downs but they say they're building enclosed T hangers sometime down the road.    For you owner/builders out there would you advise against alot of grass strip ops and covered (but open) tiedown?
Thanks for any info
Kyle

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
lbnpk3(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Prospective buyer - few questions Reply with quote

Kyle
I have a 2005 Equal, the for-runner of the Lightning, going up for sale here is a week or two. I just rebuilt the dash with a GRT system and an iPad. Like an LS-1 it can be flown as an LSA on a drivers license. Runs good, climbs like a homesick angel and cruises at 145 mph at 6000 ft. It comes with a Bruce canopy cover. The plane handles grass fine as long as its not to long.

Larry Fehner
lbnpk3(at)gmail.com (lbnpk3(at)gmail.com)

Quote:
On May 6, 2021, at 11:17 AM, K Muller <flyguy909(at)gmail.com (flyguy909(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Hello, first time poster. I'm retired in central FL and thinking of getting back in the saddle. I'm about a 300 hour pilot, used to own a Beech Sundowner and flew it cross country a few times with my wife. Sold it in 2008 with the idea of getting something faster, then the economy tanked and before you know it it's been over 10 years.
Saw the Lightning at SunnFun 2008 and fell in love with it. Checked it out again down there a few weeks ago. My mission is mostly XC at faster than 115 knots.. so going for basic med here shortly and don't foresee any problem but you never know.

So thinking that finding a used built one may be cheaper and quicker than the builder assist program, I see a used 2006 LS-1 for $70K. First question is how easy is it to convert a LS-1? Is it just replacing the extended wing tips, prop and putting on leg fairings? Is that doable/cost effective?

Also, I have 2 nice airports about 45 minutes away, but there is a nice grassstrip 1 mile down the road 4170 ft x 150. They have covered tie downs but they say they're building enclosed T hangers sometime down the road. For you owner/builders out there would you advise against alot of grass strip ops and covered (but open) tiedown?

Thanks for any info
Kyle

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

iflysmodel(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Prospective buyer - few questions Reply with quote

Hey Kyle: I built two Lightnings and flew them mostly off of grass. ( I live on a grass strip in central FL (52FL) 2800+ with an enclosed hangar.) I feel they were great airplanes and had no problems flying off the grass as long as it was shorter than 5.5 inches. Wheel pants were no problem & I did all my own maintenance. I recommend talking to Nick (Lauderback?) or Gregg Hobbs. I also recommend that you ensure the aircraft you look at buying has the larger tail & PLEASE get a thorough pre-buy inspection.
Either of them can give you great advice about anything connected to the Lightning or Esqual airplanes.
I've been out of them for several years. But feel to call me if I can help.
Lynn--

allanmaxe(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Prospective buyer - few questions Reply with quote

Kyle this is Allan Maxwell my number is 504-813-8134 I have a in 05 model S wall ESQ you well that would fit your needs well I have a phone it almost constantly since 2006 it’s got 1100 and say 30 hours on it and I want to go ahead and sell it I’m getting older give me a call if you have any interest
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On Thursday, May 6, 2021, 11:17 AM, K Muller <flyguy909(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Hello, first time poster. I'm retired in central FL and thinking of getting back in the saddle. I'm about a 300 hour pilot, used to own a Beech Sundowner and flew it cross country a few times with my wife. Sold it in 2008 with the idea of getting something faster, then the economy tanked and before you know it it's been over 10 years.

Saw the Lightning at SunnFun 2008 and fell in love with it. Checked it out again down there a few weeks ago. My mission is mostly XC at faster than 115 knots.. so going for basic med here shortly and don't foresee any problem but you never know.
So thinking that finding a used built one may be cheaper and quicker than the builder assist program, I see a used 2006 LS-1 for $70K. First question is how easy is it to convert a LS-1? Is it just replacing the extended wing tips, prop and putting on leg fairings? Is that doable/cost effective?
Also, I have 2 nice airports about 45 minutes away, but there is a nice grassstrip 1 mile down the road 4170 ft x 150. They have covered tie downs but they say they're building enclosed T hangers sometime down the road.  For you owner/builders out there would you advise against alot of grass strip ops and covered (but open) tiedown?
Thanks for any info
Kyle

Quote:

n5pb(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Prospective buyer - few questions Reply with quote

Kyle, I built my Lightning in 2008. I did a factory assist and was extremely pleased with that experience. I am flying under basic med and am now living in Brooksville. I'm still fly my lightning regularly out of the Brooksville airport. (KBKV)
It's been a truly reliable aircraft and I've traveled cross country many times, particularly to Shelbyville, TN where the factory has an annual home coming in september. I have a Jabiru 3300 engine in mine and have had minimum issues with it over the years.

I know there is/was a distributor/build assist facility that was located on a grass strip, so flying the Lightning in and out of a grass strip is not uncommon. I don't know if they flew them off the grass strips with the wheel pants on or off.

Also, the factory has been doing quite a bit of development on several firewall forward configurations; different engines, different horsepower; attaining different crusie speeds etc.
For your specific questions, I'd give Nick Otterback at the Lightning factory a call and get the official answers. 931.680.1781

"Bear"
N82PB

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: