Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel connection layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rweber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Hello all,

first a friendly hello to you all, I'm new to this forum. My name is Robert and I'm from the south of Bavaria.

I have been the proud owner of an M462RF for a couple of weeks now. It's not intended for use in an aircraft, but it should run on a test stand for demonstration purposes. Construction is progressing well, but I'm not entirely sure about the routing of the fuel lines. As far as I understand, the path is from the tank to the fuel pump and on to the carburetor. I also have a connection for the pressure gauge on the carburetor and a drain connection on the fuel pump.

What I am missing is a connection for a return line (from the carburetor?) though some kind of flow throttle back to the tank. Or is that not necessary?

with kind regards,
Robert

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Yes, the design of these carburettors is that they accept fuel until they are full in the fuel chamber and then the excess returns to the tank, and this should be plumbed in in this fashion, otherwise too much fuel will be in the carburettor and causing a mixture that is too rich. The larger connection is the primary supply from the fuel pump and then the smaller connection is a return to the tank.
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Richard, I beg to differ with you on this particular engine. It is an M4 62 which is basically at AI 14 engine with M 14 P cylinders. As you probably realize the AI 14 did not have a fuel return system. The fuel pump has a regulated pressure and that’s all it’s needed. None of the yak 12’s, PZL 101‘s Wilga‘s etc. had any fuel return system. There was a hard line between the outlet of the fuel pump in the inlet of the carburetor. The only other connection to the carburetor was for the fuel pressure.
In my experience The fuel return system was for aerobatic aircraft and was more to remove air bubbles from the system.
George Coy
Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Apr 8, 2021, at 6:09 AM, Richard Goode <Richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

Yes, the design of these carburettors is that they accept fuel until they are full in the fuel chamber and then the excess returns to the tank, and this should be plumbed in in this fashion, otherwise too much fuel will be in the carburettor and causing a mixture that is too rich. The larger connection is the primary supply from the fuel pump and then the smaller connection is a return to the tank.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Agreed – I'm happy to stand corrected – I was only thinking of the M 14 engine.
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

rweber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply! Now the things are clear to me and I can go on.

Thanks,
Robert

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Fuel connection layout Reply with quote

Walter,
There never was a return line from the carburetor. The Yak 52 and other aerobatic aircraft had a return system to reduce the chance of an air bubble or vapor getting to the carburetor. They had a header tank as well as a spherical tank the we called the de-bubbler.

We always recommended a similar system for the homebuilt aircraft as well. Usually an upside down gascolator and a return line to the tank or header tank through a .40 restrictor.
George

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: