Thermocouple Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
I am using a MGL EFIS unit
All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

unless you put a lot of salt in the water for the freezing part, that
reading should be very close to 32 degrees. The boiling temp is fine,
takes some effort to get the water above 200.

On 4/3/2021 3:58 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading
of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?

I am using a MGL EFIS unit

All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees

Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark
plug

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
alec(at)alecmyers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Where’s the other junction?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 7:00 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:

 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
I am using a MGL EFIS unit
All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
kjashton(at)vnet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

What’s your elevation? https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html
-Kent

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 7:11 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:

 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
I am using a MGL EFIS unit
All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Elevation is sea level

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 4:51 PM, Kent or Jackie Ashton <kjashton(at)vnet.net> wrote:

[...]

Normal water

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 4:48 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

unless you put a lot of salt in the water for the freezing part, that reading should be very close to 32 degrees. The boiling temp is fine, takes some effort to get the water above 200.

> On 4/3/2021 3:58 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:
> I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
> I am using a MGL EFIS unit
> All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
> Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug
> Thanks
> Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

One end of the thermocouple wire is attached to the copper ring under the plug, the other end is connected to the MGL RDAC unit that feeds signal to the EFIS. There are no joins in the wire

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 4:53 PM, Alec <alec(at)alecmyers.com> wrote:

Where’s the other junction?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2021, at 7:00 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:

 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
I am using a MGL EFIS unit
All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
alec(at)alecmyers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Well, to me, it sounds like the cold junction compensation is off by 10 degrees.

If that’s it, then it’s going to read 10 degrees low at all temperatures, and you’re unlikely to care.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, at 1:56 AM, mike Pienaar <mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

dj_theis

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Mike,

Maybe this link will offer a few ideas to help trouble shoot.

https://blog.wika.us/products/temperature-products/six-common-causes-thermocouple-temperature-measurement-errors/

The ice bath error is outside of what should be expected. Do you have a separate measurement method? Fluke makes a model “52” for temperature measurement. I’ve not looked into any of the low cost options from EBay but it might be something to consider as a second method to verify.

Obviously you don’t need the device to report accurate freezing temp but it might be indicative of a larger problem.

I would suspect a wiring mistake or an error in the MGL.

Dan Theis

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Dan Theis
Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

On 4/3/2021 5:58 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com (mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
(at)font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}(at)font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0cm; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
I am using a MGL EFIS unit
All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug

Thanks

Mike
Is the MGL monitor software-configurable for type J & type K probes? If so, does config match type?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Well, then you know your thermcouple is off by 10 degrees at the low end.

On 4/3/2021 10:46 PM, mike Pienaar wrote:
Quote:

Normal water

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 3, 2021, at 4:48 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>

> unless you put a lot of salt in the water for the freezing part, that reading should be very close to 32 degrees. The boiling temp is fine, takes some effort to get the water above 200.
>
>> On 4/3/2021 3:58 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:
>> I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of 200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?
>> I am using a MGL EFIS unit
>> All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees
>> Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark plug
>> Thanks
>> Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Yes I have configured for “K” type thermocoupleForgot to say that MGL says results are within spec but did not say what the acceptable range is

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 4, 2021, at 7:42 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

Just for grins, try setting it up for type J & see what happens. MGL may
well use type K for CHT, but generic CHT probes are usually type J.

On 4/3/2021 5:58 PM, mikepienaar09(at)gmail.com wrote:

I put my CHT sensors into boiling water at sea level and got a reading of
200 deg F and got 22 deg F with them in ice water. Is this close enough?

I am using a MGL EFIS unit

All 4 sensors provide the same reading plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees

Sensors are K type attached to a copper washer that fits under the spark
plug

Thanks

Mike

Is the MGL monitor software-configurable for type J & type K probes? If
so, does config match type?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
dj_theis

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thermocouple Accuracy Reply with quote

I like Charlie’s suggestion of checking other calibration configurations on the MGL.

To respond to Mike’s first question, “is 10 degrees close enough?”
It probably depends on your expectations and willingness to accommodate a known error in your Temperatures. Knowing the source of the error and insuring it remains constant is probably as important.

Personally, I would not accept it as “good enough.”

A second method of measurement is often useful. I purchased a very low cost unit to compare to my trusted Fluke.

The attached photo shows a 1 degree difference in one photo but it is due to elevating the TC bulb at different heights from the floor.

I swapped the 4 TC probes I had between the two meters in various combinations and could not see any difference in response or value reported between the Fluke and the low cost alternative. Two of the probes came with the meter and two were from Omegs.

My conclusion on first sampling of the low cost TC meter is that it is quite adequate. No telling how well it will perform a year from now, for sure. Only time will tell.

Dan Theis

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V7T6TZ?psc=1&smid=A1L1WUWYKZGTBQ&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

6F96D740-75F6-421B-AB09-DD787A0C95EF.jpeg
 Filesize:  769.83 KB
 Viewed:  4205 Time(s)

6F96D740-75F6-421B-AB09-DD787A0C95EF.jpeg

37D32604-3C43-4A30-B297-7108A03F07AF.jpeg
 Filesize:  567.88 KB
 Viewed:  4205 Time(s)

37D32604-3C43-4A30-B297-7108A03F07AF.jpeg

Dan Theis
Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours