Original Mufflers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
freedom4life(at)xtra.co.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I know exactly what you are talking about with cracked mufflers all the
time. I copied what one of the builders on here had done and now have
over 2000 hours on these now without any further cracking. Someone on
the forum will tell you who made them. If you have someone who is good
with a tig welder on stainless you shouldn't have too much bother making
some yourself like I did.

Cliff
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have the original exhaust mufflers from 1994 kit - first flight
1996. Over the years I have had them crack 4 times but the most recent
has been twice within 8 hours Sad

I have added gussets to strengthen them and a bar stock connecting the
muffler to the engine to sync vibration with the motor many years ago.
This has worked great for 7-8 year blocks..I put in a new radiator on
last year. The old one required the coolant hose to sit against the
exhaust. I built a ventilation path to keep it cool that worked.

Anyway the new radiator doesn't have that rubber hose to dampen the
vibration so I think that is the change that caused 2 failures back to
back.

Now there isn't really enough basic metal to weld to anymore Sad

I know a decade or so ago this group was working on stainless steel
ones with some moderate luck.

Bottom line -  what is everyone using now for the pulsar XP exhaust?
Did someone finally find a design at works and has them for sale ?

Thanks

Mark L. Fox

https://www.avg.com

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Back to top
briana(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

It was Rick Thomason who designed and made the alternative version. Quite a long time ago now, but I think he may also have published some drawings so that builders could make a copy.

Rick used to be active on this forum. It is also possible to find his email address with a quick name search.

Brian
Quote:
On 2/07/2019, at 1:13 PM, Cliff McChesney <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Hi Mark

I know exactly what you are talking about with cracked mufflers all the time. I copied what one of the builders on here had done and now have over 2000 hours on these now without any further cracking. Someone on the forum will tell you who made them. If you have someone who is good with a tig welder on stainless you shouldn't have too much bother making some yourself like I did.

Cliff
> Hey guys,
>
> I have the original exhaust mufflers from 1994 kit - first flight 1996. Over the years I have had them crack 4 times but the most recent has been twice within 8 hours Sad
>
> I have added gussets to strengthen them and a bar stock connecting the muffler to the engine to sync vibration with the motor many years ago. This has worked great for 7-8 year blocks..I put in a new radiator on last year. The old one required the coolant hose to sit against the exhaust. I built a ventilation path to keep it cool that worked.
>
> Anyway the new radiator doesn't have that rubber hose to dampen the vibration so I think that is the change that caused 2 failures back to back.
>
> Now there isn't really enough basic metal to weld to anymore Sad
>
> I know a decade or so ago this group was working on stainless steel ones with some moderate luck.
>
> Bottom line - what is everyone using now for the pulsar XP exhaust? Did someone finally find a design at works and has them for sale ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark L. Fox

https://www.avg.com

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Back to top
MikeyC

Location: 1GA0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Mark,
I have a muffler from a Skystar FWF kit.  Not planning to use it.
Mike Cowan

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 2:34 AM Brian Anderson <briana(at)xtra.co.nz (briana(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Pulsar-List message posted by: Brian Anderson <briana(at)xtra.co.nz (briana(at)xtra.co.nz)>

It was Rick Thomason who designed and made the alternative version. Quite a long time ago now, but I think he may also have published some drawings so that builders could make a copy.

Rick used to be active on this forum. It is also possible to find his email address with a quick name search.

Brian

> On 2/07/2019, at 1:13 PM, Cliff McChesney <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz (freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz)> wrote:
>
> --> Pulsar-List message posted by: Cliff McChesney <freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz (freedom4life(at)xtra.co.nz)>
>

> Hi Mark
>
> I know exactly what you are talking about with cracked mufflers all the time. I copied what one of the builders on here had done and now have over 2000 hours on these now without any further cracking. Someone on the forum will tell you who made them. If you have someone who is good with a tig welder on stainless you shouldn't have too much bother making some yourself like I did.
>
> Cliff
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I have the original exhaust mufflers from 1994 kit - first flight 1996. Over the years I have had them crack 4 times but the most recent has been twice within 8 hours Sad
>>
>> I have added gussets to strengthen them and a bar stock connecting the muffler to the engine to sync vibration with the motor many years ago. This has worked great for 7-8 year blocks..I put in a new radiator on last year. The old one required the coolant hose to sit against the exhaust. I built a ventilation path to keep it cool that worked.
>>
>> Anyway the new radiator doesn't have that rubber hose to dampen the vibration so I think that is the change that caused 2 failures back to back.
>>
>> Now there isn't really enough basic metal to weld to anymore Sad
>>
>> I know a decade or so ago this group was working on stainless steel ones with some moderate luck.
>>
>> Bottom line -  what is everyone using now for the pulsar XP exhaust? Did someone finally find a design at works and has them for sale ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark L. Fox
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

===========
ar-List" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
lank" rel="noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

_________________
Mike Cowan
DiscoverPulsar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
There is a Yahoo Pulsar Group with drawings of Rick Thomson’s exhaust. Here is the link to the first drawing but you may need to join the group to access it. I’m not sure.
Hope this helps,
Ned
https://xa.yimg.com/df/Pulsar-Aviators/Pulsar+Exhaust+drawings_0001.jpg?token=GuvANfOvM09_lrPWgTwlKBFRJkMD8F2hZVUAiBZkm3sTDdoufsx3aOujQeX6BQiQVm7L4Y6_xcqqxUX2MozaIpjQllUI8bwXwgcZqX6153sNpFqUYzNWr6JDkiRqNgv2PUp1YZLEnifEWCfhWAhB72wIb4cB51fgLqUvlLpJquIWzqzmwBnmABA&type=download

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:03 PM, Mark Fox <saafbusiness(at)gmail.com (saafbusiness(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Here is the group home page
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Pulsar-Aviators/info
And here are the 3 photos of Thompson’s drawings
[img]cid:252B6553-7DE3-49DF-AAF2-7C9BD925693A[/img][img]cid:7787096E-A59B-4D68-8883-C2F5B68A8094[/img][img]cid:176A3E68-8F05-40F5-9AED-DE551C1D1932[/img]

[...]

image1.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  8986 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Filesize:  1020.68 KB
 Viewed:  8986 Time(s)

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
 Filesize:  2.13 MB
 Viewed:  8986 Time(s)

image3.jpeg

kenw

Joined: 01 Oct 2015
Location: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Do any members have pics of Rick Thomason mufflers .?
Thank you in advance.

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

_________________
kenw
ghf4986(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Knew,
There was an engineering drawing made and it is in the files, unfortunately I can not direct you to it but you should be able to find it.
Dennis

Sent from an IPad

On Feb 12, 2021, at 3:51 PM, kenw <worthken67(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Do any members have pics of Rick Thomason mufflers .?
Thank you in advance.

--------
kenw

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Back to top
phil(at)ishml.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Drawings and pics are at the groups.io site...
https://groups.io/g/Pulsar-Aviators

Phil

--

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Back to top
kenw

Joined: 01 Oct 2015
Location: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Thank you Sir ! That’s helpful.
I was able to find 1 pic.

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List

F44646AE-2D48-4BEA-BFC4-0CA562A74D7F.png
 Filesize:  31.72 KB
 Viewed:  6491 Time(s)

F44646AE-2D48-4BEA-BFC4-0CA562A74D7F.png

_________________
kenw
Eclat2

Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

Look in the Photos section. The 2nd folder is "Exhaust", and I just put 3 JPEGs in there. They're sketches of Ricky Thomason's exhaust for the 912.

It made more sense to me to put them in the Files section, since they were more 'tech' than 'pretty'. But the system wouldn't allow 'photos' in the Files section, and told me to put them in the Photos section.

Regards,
Tim Engel
02/12/2021, 5:33PM, Phil Ishmael, phil(at)ishml.com wrote:
Quote:

Drawings and pics are at the groups.io site...
https://groups.io/g/Pulsar-Aviators

Phil

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Eclat2

Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Original Mufflers Reply with quote

I just did a little browse of the Files section on Groups.io, and found duplicates of the three sketches that I just uploaded in the Photos section.

Photos:
https://groups.io/g/Pulsar-Aviators/album?id=260646

Or, go to 'Files. Then scroll down & open the "Modification - Airframe & Engine" folder, and finally, open the "Exhaust - 912 XP by Ricky Thomason" folder.

Files:
https://groups.io/g/Pulsar-Aviators/files/Modification%20-%20Airframe%20&%20Engine

They're large files, burning up storage space. So rather than leaving duplicates, I'll delete mine from the 'Photos' section in a few days... after Ken has had a chance to find & download what he needs.

Regards,
Tim Engel
02/12/2021, 5:45PM, Tim Engel, tsengel(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:

Look in the Photos section. The 2nd folder is "Exhaust", and I just put 3 JPEGs in there. They're sketches of Ricky Thomason's exhaust for the 912.

It made more sense to me to put them in the Files section, since they were more 'tech' than 'pretty'. But the system wouldn't allow 'photos' in the Files section, and told me to put them in the Photos section.

Regards,
Tim Engel

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours