Is 160F too cold.

creightonious

Joined: 10 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Is 160F too cold. Reply with quote

I have a classic with an 80hp.
After several years of experimentation I have settled upon a cowl flap/exit air restrictor and, most important, a Laminova water-oil heat exchanger.
The cowl flap keeps the coolant temperature under control (210-220F) and the heat exchanger keeps the temps in lockstep in cruise. In climb, the oil temp stabilizes at 15-20degF over coolant temp. (I attribute this to heat load in the gearbox.)
If you Choose the Laminova, get the largest of the 3 standard sizes. It will not overcool.
(I started with the smallest, moved to the medium and had to install a coolant restrictor to force more coolant through the heat exchange section)
They are not returnable so go for the big one, it’s not a great deal lerger or more expensive.
In descent temps go to 170-180F. Cowl flapp closed.
It has been a lot of work, but I love my Laminova. I am in Vermont currently, with surface temperatures in the 20-25F range. (-5C)
Warmup is a bit quicker, too.

Creighton. 96EG. A009
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, at 02:35, Europa-List Digest Server <europa-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

*

Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete Europa-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Europa-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter 21-01-11&Archive=Europa

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter 21-01-11&Archive=Europa

EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

Europa-List Digest Archive
---
Total Messages Posted Mon 01/11/21: 5

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 08:53 AM - Re: Is 160 F too cold? (Erich Trombley)
2. 03:38 PM - Mono Slave Cyl O-ring (Kingsley Hurst)
3. 03:39 PM - Mono Slave Cyl O-ring (Kingsley Hurst)
4. 07:26 PM - Re: Re: Is 160 F too cold? (William Daniell)
5. 09:10 PM - Buy (20Pieces) Apple iPhone 12 5G 64GB Mini Unlocked $10,580 (matt63867)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________

Time: 08:53:59 AM PST US
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley(at)juno.com>
Subject: RE: Is 160 F too cold?

Hi William,

As far as engine damage, I cant say. However, it is outside the recommended temperature
range specified by Rotax. I had contemplated installing an oil thermostat
to solve the same issue, and decided to fabricate a cowl flap instead.
Works very well.

I close it off completely for engine start and initial warm up. I then either
open or close it to maintain CHT/oil temps in the specified range. As a bonus
I pick a few knots in cruise, especially in the winter months when, I have it
almost completely closed.

In use a small electric actuator to move the flap. I dont have the standard Europa
firewall forward, so my installation is different. However, Jim Butcher
fabricated a similar cowl flap for the Europa XS. He usually monitors the forum.

Regards,
Erich

House Democrats Introduce Article of Impeachment
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823ab415123917e5st01duc1
Promotion for Kim Jong Un, With Possible Dis for Sis
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823ad8e4223917e5st01duc2
In Letter on Capitol Riot, Melania Trump Swings Back
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823b91ca23917e5st01duc3

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________

Time: 03:38:52 PM PST US
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au>
Subject: Mono Slave Cyl O-ring

Could someone advise the size/Part No of the Mono slave cylinder O ring please.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________

Time: 03:39:36 PM PST US
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au>

Could someone advise the size/Part No of the Mono slave cylinder O ring please.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz

________________________________ Message 4 _____________________________________

Time: 07:26:08 PM PST US
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Is 160 F too cold?

Thanks everyone for the responses. A lot to think of. For now i have
ordered some high temp tape...while i consider my options.
Appreciate all the options offered
Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021, 11:57 Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley(at)juno.com> wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> As far as engine damage, I can=99t say. However, it is outside the
> recommended temperature range specified by Rotax. I had contemplated
> installing an oil thermostat to solve the same issue, and decided to
> fabricate a cowl flap instead. Works very well.
>
> I close it off completely for engine start and initial warm up. I then
> either open or close it to maintain CHT/oil temps in the specified range.
> As a bonus I pick a few knots in cruise, especially in the winter months
> when, I have it almost completely closed.
>
> In use a small electric actuator to move the flap. I don=99t have
the
> standard Europa firewall forward, so my installation is different.
> However, Jim Butcher fabricated a similar cowl flap for the Europa XS. He
> usually monitors the forum.
>
> Regards,
> Erich

=rss_taglines_more

> House Democrats Introduce Article of Impeachment
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823ab415123917e5st01duc1
> Promotion for Kim Jong Un, With Possible Dis for Sis
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823ad8e4223917e5st01duc2
> In Letter on Capitol Riot, Melania Trump Swings Back
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5ffc823b91ca23917e5st01duc3

===========
===========
===========
===========
===========

________________________________ Message 5 _____________________________________

Time: 09:10:40 PM PST US
Subject: Buy (20Pieces) Apple iPhone 12 5G 64GB Mini Unlocked $10,580
From: "matt63867" <matt63867(at)gmail.com>

Available Now, View Our Site For Best Price List!!!

Company Name: Halgatetech
3500 WILSHIRE BLVD
Los Angeles CA 90010 USA
Email: sales (at) halgatetech . com
Website: www . halgatetech . com
Tel: +1-213-432-4350
Whatsapp: +1-213-460-5996

Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $3,645, 128GB $3,895, 256GB $4,395)

Buy 10 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $6,290, 128GB $6,790, 256GB $7,790)

Buy 20 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $10,580, 128GB $11,580, 256GB $13,580)

Buy 30 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $12,870, 128GB $14,370, 256GB $17,370)

Buy 50 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $16,450, 128GB $18,950, 256GB $23,950)

Buy 100 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
(64GB $22,900, 128GB $27,900, 256GB $37,900)

Creighton Smith
A 036
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Is 160F too cold. Reply with quote

Curious what the hottest ambient you’ve flown in?
Cheers,
Pete
C-GNPZ

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, at 12:23 PM, crouton <crouton(at)well.com> wrote:

> [...]

> From: "matt63867" <matt63867(at)gmail.com>
>

> Available Now, View Our Site For Best Price List!!!
>
> Company Name: Halgatetech
> 3500 WILSHIRE BLVD
> Los Angeles CA 90010 USA
> Email: sales (at) halgatetech . com
> Website: www . halgatetech . com
> Tel: +1-213-432-4350
> Whatsapp: +1-213-460-5996
>
> Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $3,645, 128GB $3,895, 256GB $4,395)
>
> Buy 10 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $6,290, 128GB $6,790, 256GB $7,790)
>
> Buy 20 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $10,580, 128GB $11,580, 256GB $13,580)
>
> Buy 30 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $12,870, 128GB $14,370, 256GB $17,370)
>
> Buy 50 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $16,450, 128GB $18,950, 256GB $23,950)
>
> Buy 100 Pieces Apple iPhone 12 Mini 5G
> (64GB $22,900, 128GB $27,900, 256GB $37,900)

Olivier.hequet@neuf.fr

Joined: 21 Aug 2017
Location: France

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is 160F too cold. Reply with quote

hello,

do you have some pictures of your installation? Did you install an other water radiator for eliminate the warm?

many thanks
Olivier