strobe noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
arcticarrow(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

I recently installed Aero Leds wing tip strobes, beacon and wig wag landing lights. I hear no strobe noise with the engine off. However when its running I get noise from the wing tip strobes, wig wag and pitot heat, no noise from the beacon. Any ideas. All shielding according to installation instructions. One issue I suspect is the nearby location of the audio plugs to the circuit breakers powering these lights. But what difference does the engine running make? Any ideas.

Looking forward to your reply,
Bernie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: strobe noise Reply with quote

When the engine is off, the battery powers everything.
When the engine is running, the alternator powers everything.
If the voltage regulator is external, is it properly grounded?
Are the audio jacks mounted with insulating washers?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
arcticarrow(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Joe,
Yes on the insulation of the audio jacks. I will confirm the voltage regulator grounding.

Thanks
Bernie

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, at 12:16 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

When the engine is off, the battery powers everything.
When the engine is running, the alternator powers everything.
If the voltage regulator is external, is it properly grounded?
Are the audio jacks mounted with insulating washers?

--------
Joe Gores

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Might also be useful to 'visualize' the ground paths from the various appliances back to the bat neg, your audio devices ground paths back to bat neg, and the ground paths for the regulator & alternator (engine ground wire) back to bat neg. If any of the noise producers (alt, any 'switcher' type LED supplies, etc) share a ground path with your audio  gear....
Charlie
On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 4:07 PM Bernie <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bernie <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)>

Joe,
Yes on the insulation of the audio jacks. I will confirm the voltage regulator grounding.

Thanks
Bernie

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 13, 2020, at 12:16 PM, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>
>
> When the engine is off, the battery powers everything.
> When the engine is running, the alternator powers everything.
> If the voltage regulator is external, is it properly grounded?
> Are the audio jacks mounted with insulating washers?
>
> --------
> Joe Gores

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: strobe noise Reply with quote

Is the alternator "B" lead of adequate size and are its connections clean and tight?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

At 01:55 PM 10/13/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Bernie Willis <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com>

I recently installed Aero Leds wing tip strobes, beacon and wig wag
landing lights. I hear no strobe noise with the engine off.
However when its running I get noise from the wing tip strobes,
wig wag and pitot heat, no noise from the beacon.

When you say 'noise', how would you describe
it. Is it a musical note or whine that changes
pitch with engine rpm?

Quote:
Any ideas. All shielding according to installation instructions.

Shielding is almost NEVER an issue with the
symptoms you've described.

Quote:
One issue I suspect is the nearby location of the audio plugs
to the circuit breakers powering these lights.

Proximity to breakers/breaker wiring is also
and exceedingly rare prospect for root cause.

Quote:
But what difference does the engine running make?

I suspect alternator noise which can't happen
if the alternator is not putting out power.
Does the noise go away when you shut the alternator
OFF with the engine still running?

If you shut all the new systems off and bring
them on one-at-a-time, does the noise return
for any combination of functional/non-functional
systems?

What kind of airplane, engine and alternator?

Wired per any of the z-figures?

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
arcticarrow(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I’ll be back to the airplane in a couple days.

It is a 1956 G Bonanza. Plane power alternator. The strobes and wig wag noise is an alternating ping/hum. The pitot heat and landing lights are a steady hum. The LED beacon is quiet. I did found
an empty grounding lug on the regulator. All of the above elec. devices are grounded to a ground buss which is stainless bolted to a bulkhead. Older radios are grounded to various unknown places. The noise goes away when I shut down the engine but haven’t tried Turing off the alternator with the engine running. Hope to get to it tomorrow. In the mean time would a 16 gauge wire be appropriate to ground the alternator?
Bernie

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 13, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: strobe noise Reply with quote

Usually the negative wire needs to be the same size as the positive wire. The exception is when
the negative current has another path to ground, for instance through mounting brackets.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

At 10:33 AM 10/14/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I’ll be back to the airplane in a couple days.

It is a 1956 G Bonanza.

Hmmm . . . airplanes of this vintage are
renowned for high resistance airframes which
are fertilizer for ground loop issues.

Quote:
Plane power alternator. The strobes and wig wag noise is an alternating ping/hum. The
pitot heat and landing lights are a steady hum. The LED beacon is quiet.

Are all the 'hums' the same pitch and do they
rise and fall with alternator rpm?

Quote:
I did found an empty grounding lug on the regulator. All of the above elec. devices are grounded
to a ground buss which is stainless bolted to a bulkhead.

. . . all this happens behind the cabin?

Quote:
Older radios are grounded to various unknown places.
The noise goes away when I shut down the engine but haven't tried Turing off the alternator with
the engine running.

This is key . . . but I'm betting the noise
is unique to the alternator and will go
away with the alternator off. Where is
the battery in this airplane?

Quote:
In the mean time would a 16 gauge wire be appropriate to ground the alternator?

alternator? above you cited the regulator? If it's
the regulator then don't worry about it. A regulator
ground is never root cause of the constellation of
symptoms you've listed.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
arcticarrow(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Hello GuysMade some progress trouble shooting the LED strobe and wig wag noise. Grounded the regulator per the plan power installation directions with 16 ga. Wire to the firewall battery ground. Also cleaned all the ground lugs at this point.
Ran the engine and have the same noise except when the alternator field is tripped shutting down the alternator.
Next step will be to confirm the “B” lead is tight on both ends. Any other suggestions?
Thanks Bernie

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Just thought of some others things to try to isolate the noise source. With all the avionics on each one was turned off and on one at a time. No noise change
Changed phone plug from intercom Jack to aux jack that’s wired direct to the com through the audio panel, noise remains
Audio panel off, no change noise remains
Changed volume on ADF, KX155, intercom, no change in the Volume of LED based cyclic noise
The only way to eliminate the noise is to disable the alternator.
I can Check the integrity of the connection to the buss and the alternator B. What else should be checked?
Bernie

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 16, 2020, at 7:32 PM, Bernie <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

finn.usa(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Try to trace the path from the alternator case to the negative terminal of the battery.
Ground strap between engine and airframe?
As Bob pointed out, that old airframe may not provide a good ground path. If possible, temporarily for testing, a good size wire from alternator to battery negative terminal.
Perhaps another way of looking at it: is the ground path to the radio in any way carrying a current between alternator and battery ground?
Finn

On Oct 14, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com) wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: strobe noise Reply with quote

Continuing to work the strobe noise dilemma in the old Bonanza. The latest was an awg 8 wire from an alternator mounting bolt to the negative post of the battery..Perhaps the strobe noise is a little less but the wig wag wing lights are just as noisy. The strobes ground to the grounding forest but the wig wags are to the airframe. I think my next step is to move their ground to the grounding forest. This may have nothing to do with the problem but perhaps is worth mentioning. The original landing lights were PAR 46 incandescent. I made a minor alteration and changed them to PAR 36 LED with no noise. The noise occurred when I went to PAR 46 LED. I used the same wiring for both size LED Bulbs. Perhaps the extra current for the larger light is part of the problem. Again the noise doesn’t change with alternator speed or radio on or off.

Please continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,
Bernie

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, at 09:04, user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Usually the negative wire needs to be the same size as the positive wire. The exception is when
the negative current has another path to ground, for instance through mounting brackets.

--------
Joe Gores

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: strobe noise Reply with quote

Try increasing size of the alternator "B" lead to see if that helps.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Joe Gores
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours