How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear

erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

Hello again,

One hopefully simple question: How do you best hoist (or jack) a Europa
Trigear for landing gear maintenance?

At some point on the fuselage? On big cushioned plates under the wings,
centered under the main spar?

Also, is it safe to lift the nose wheel by pushing down the rear part of
the fuselage, perhaps using a wide collar placed just ahead of the
thinnest point, strapped to a weight or attaching point on the floor?
Sincerely,

Erik Gunneland Dahlbäck

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

HI Erik,
Use an aluminium or steel rod, can't remember the diameter, and push into the leg, first remove the cotter pin. Length should be at least 50cm. then jack it up with your hydraulic jack. You can now remove the wheel up to the jack.
Now place a block of wood under the leg end and lower the jack and remove it, and the wheel.
For the nose gear I had an eye bolt mounted in the garage floor. Then used a ratcheting strap just
ahead of the fin, looped through the eye bolt, and lowered the tail that way. Or get someone to push down the tail.
Karl

--> Europa-List message posted by: =?UTF-8?Q?Erik_Dahlb=c3=a4ck?= <erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com>

Hello again,

One hopefully simple question: How do you best hoist (or jack) a Europa
Trigear for landing gear maintenance?

At some point on the fuselage? On big cushioned plates under the wings,
centered under the main spar?

Also, is it safe to lift the nose wheel by pushing down the rear part of
the fuselage, perhaps using a wide collar placed just ahead of the
thinnest point, strapped to a weight or attaching point on the floor?

Sincerely,

Erik Gunneland Dahlbäck

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

an option to get everything off the ground (if ever needed) is to hoist the plane from the top two engine mounts (on the  fuse frame side of the rubbers) using straps, and support the tail.
Cheers,
Pete

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 4:24 AM Erik Dahlbäck <erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com (erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: =?UTF-8?Q?Erik_Dahlb=c3=a4ck?= <erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com (erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com)>

Hello again,

One hopefully simple question: How do you best hoist (or jack) a Europa
Trigear for landing gear maintenance?

At some point on the fuselage? On big cushioned plates under the wings,
centered under the main spar?

Also, is it safe to lift the nose wheel by pushing down the rear part of
the fuselage, perhaps using a wide collar placed just ahead of the
thinnest point, strapped to a weight or attaching point on the floor?

Sincerely,

Erik Gunneland Dahlbäck

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

Thanks,

Am I correct in assuming that the aforementioned metal rod (would a sturdy tube do?) goes in where the attachment for the wheel pants goes in? Or does that one somehow fit into something else that is mounted within the wheel axis? (please see attached photo)

Any other options BTW? What if you needed to work on the landing gear strut for an example, and didn't want the fuselage to be standing on it?

I saw that suggestion about suspending the fuselage from the engine mounts and the tail. My local mechanic who's helping me with all this wasn't very fond at all of that idea.

/ Erik

[...]

main_gear_wheel.jpg
 Filesize:  331.82 KB
 Viewed:  3803 Time(s)

main_gear_wheel.jpg

Back to top
dpark748(at)me.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

To raise the nose wheel I use at least two 30 liter cans of fuel/water to weigh down the tail with a padded strop over the fuselage in front of the fin.
To service main wheels I use the method described using a piece of steel tube pushed in to the axle, a jack and a piece of 1 inch ply to support the leg

John Wighton

Joined: 18 May 2010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

To supplement the taildragger modification we have developed (apologies to those who await more information on this topic), we developed a clamp on jacking stand. The problem with using the axle hole is that you cannot get the wheel and brakes completely off the aircraft.

We have a design that clamps on, using the slight taper (of the original Europa legs or the Acroflight ones) to ensure it doesn't slide.

Picture attached.

It can be used with a trolley jack or small bottle jack.

Europa main gear clamp 001.png
Main gear clamp (tri-gear or taildragger)
 Filesize:  204.36 KB
 Viewed:  3792 Time(s)

Europa main gear clamp 001.png

_________________
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD
kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

Hi JOhn,
A very neat design, but wouldn't work with leg fairings in place and requires a certain amount of expertise and time to manufacture. The axle hole solution is very simple and cheap, and gets the wheel off completely in a matter of minutes. Either way, it is useful to have a means of changing a wheel when touring.
Karl

--> Europa-List message posted by: "John Wighton" <john(at)wighton.net>

To supplement the taildragger modification we have developed (apologies to those who await more information on this topic), we developed a clamp on jacking stand. The problem with using the axle hole is that you cannot get the wheel and brakes completely off the aircraft.

We have a design that clamps on, using the slight taper (of the original Europa legs or the Acroflight ones) to ensure it doesn't slide.

Picture attached.

It can be used with a trolley jack or small bottle jack.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/europa_main_gear_clamp_001_262.png

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

In my effort to prepare info for second hand owners of the Europa, I found the following info I did some time ago.

I quickly updated it to add some newer information for folks to consider as most A&P mechanics have no idea what to do with a Europa when the pilot/owner non builder is confronted with something as simple as a tire change or annual service.

I hope this attachment is of some service.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.

Tire change of a Europa.pdf

Download
 Filename:  Tire change of a Europa.pdf
 Filesize:  491 KB
 Downloaded:  228 Time(s)

erik(at)erikdahlbeck.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: How to properly hoist a Europa Trigear Reply with quote

Many thanks, Bud

Last week me and our local mechanic used just that tube/bar into the
wheel method and it worked great for getting the mains off and back on.
This week it's time for the nose wheel.

Now, my Europa has a self-retracting (spring-loaded) tail tie-down. I'm
unsure whether this is standard or something that the builder came up
with himself (as I recall, it might be custom for this a/c individual).
Any idea if such a tie-down would be safe to use for raising the nose gear?

I'll sure check with the builder as well, but any thoughts would be welcome.

/ Erik

Quote:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/tire_change_of_a_europa_166.pdf