Mod 57 Bushing issues on my Europa XS

jeffwill55(at)sbcglobal.n
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Mod 57 Bushing issues on my Europa XS Reply with quote

I am getting to the end of the build process, and I needed to complete the mandatory Mod 57, nose gear leg to housing reinforcement.

I finally got a welder willing to do the job on site, and it was completed last night. We followed the instructions exactly, and it went pretty well -- as far as welding on the gussets were concerned.

However, with the nose up in the air and nothing supporting the gear housing assembly, the applied heat expanded the housing to the point the lower bushing dropped out, followed by the thinner, taller middle bushing (with the hole drilled in it). That was a surprise. Nothing indicated those should be clamped in place doing this process.

I don’t imagine I am the only one to whom this has happened, but I do need to know how to reassemble the pieces. The hole drilled in the taller middle piece is not centered. It is about 12 mm to the end of the cylinder on one side and about 15 mm from the other end. Does it make a difference which end is up?

It appears the lower bushing is a press fit. I have a call into Europa at the moment, but f I don’t hear otherwise, I plan to freeze the bushing, heat the housing with a propane torch, then then slide them into positions as quickly as possible. If anyone has a betting idea, please let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Williams,
Builder A157

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Mod 57 Bushing issues on my Europa XS Reply with quote

Jeff,
Note the hole in the bush and the grease zerk. Unscrew the zerk and the flip the center piece to align the holes and that will do it.

I’ve had the bushings fall out without welding.

Please review the O ring placement carefully. I’ve had to shop for an O ring that is slightly thicker to prevent common wheel grease in the recess around that inner bush from weeping out onto my plastic friction disk lubricating my so called friction plate. Here in Florida, in the hot summers, thinner greases deteriorate and the oil in the grease thickening agent simply flows past an ill fitting O ring.

I also do not use a grease gun to lube my nose gear on the annual because high pressure grease will blow past the O ring, again ruining your friction setting. I hand grease mine and change my O ring if I see any wear or deterioration.

You can discuss with others the advantages of Nye grease (PTFE 700 and 800 series) as it works well in high pressure and wide temp ranges yet still lubricates and maintains its high viscosity. It costs a bit but, stays thick and brings back memories the WWII sticky bombs.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--> Europa-List message posted by: Jeffrey Williams <jeffwill55(at)sbcglobal.net>

[...]

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -