Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between B&C Starter Contactors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Difference between B&C Starter Contactors? Reply with quote

At 11:21 AM 9/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know if there is any practical difference between the S702-1 & the S811-1, besides $10.00? I'm redoing the electrical system in my RV-7A (I'm not the builder) per Z101, and want to replace the existing contactors, which I believe are the ones Vans sells. The form factor on the B&C starter contactors is different, which will make it slightly more complicated to retrofit. Is it worth the effort?Â

Go here and get one of these

https://tinyurl.com/y5yzynuq

or get the same part from your
local Smiley Jack's Car Parts emporium:

Standard SS598T

Works good, lasts a long time.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Difference between B&C Starter Contactors? Reply with quote

At 12:17 PM 9/17/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi David,

It is my understanding that the S702-1 (sometimes called a "pancake" solenoid) is a solenoid that has been optimized for cranking duty. I believe that Ford created the design some time in the 70s specifically to start engines in Ford vehicles. Things like contact size and contact pressure were optimized for the specific task of short-duration high-current loads encountered when starting engines. I believe that this makes the design less likely to be a victim of the "weld shut" scenario that we occasionally hear about with older tin-can types. Based on this info I have decided to use it in my RV-7 and in a friend's RV-14.

The other "tin can" configuration is a more general-purpose solenoid. It seems to work fine as it is in thousands of little GA aircraft.

The all metal, contactors are available in an
intermittent duty style but they're hard to
find . . . and yes, they feature a large-area,
low-pressure contact not ideally suited to
hi-inrush loads. But they were used by the thousands
in all manner of vehicle including aircraft
for decades.

The more nimble footed, small-area, high-pressure
contact devices are more suited to this
application. They've become the gold-standard
for resistance to sticking . . . ESPECIALLY
with permanent magnet starters.

The Standard SS598T is but one example of dozens
in this class of device. Inexpensive and
very reliable in aircraft. Keep in mind that
aircraft engines get started what . . . maybe
50 times a year? My car gets started 50 times
a month!

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

SS598T.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.15 KB
 Viewed:  1180 Time(s)

SS598T.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: