Nav Light CB Rating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Nav Light CB Rating Reply with quote

What is the suggested CB rating of a navigation light circuit on a 14 VDC
system?

The airplane is fiberglass so the Nav light circuit is 53 feet from the CB
to the switch to the Nav light fixture and back to the forest of grounds and
it is wired with 18 AWG wire? My current system has a 5 AMP CB that
services only the two navigation light bulb fixtures that each has two bulbs
(total of 4 incandescent light bulbs).

I do not know the manufacturer of the light fixture so I do not have any
idea what these light bulbs draw. It was suggested that I install a 5 AMP
CB and when I turn on the switch the lights all illuminate and they stay on
for about 20 minutes and then the CB pops. On hotter days the time before
the CB pops is more like 10 minutes so it seems that the thermal load on the
current 5 AMP CB is too great. Of course I can upgrade the CB but I would
prefer to know if a 7 AMP or 10 amp is preferred so that is why I am
reaching out to the experts on the subject.

As always THANKS for your help!!!.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jluckey(at)pacbell.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Nav Light CB Rating Reply with quote

Bill,
If you get the numbers from those bulbs you can look them up and find their current rating. That way you know for sure what you've got.
But #18 wire is fine at 10 amps, so just upgrade to a 10 amp breaker and call it good.
Remember, the CB is there to protect the wire not the load.

-Jeff

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)>

_/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Na= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS= --> /wiki.matronics.com" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
http://www.mat====

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest

Thanks Jeff…greatly appreciate the help!!!

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 01:25:16 PM PDT, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

mikepienaar09(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Nav Light CB Rating Reply with quote

I have Whelen position lights and current draw is 7.5 amp

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

_/Navigator?AeroElectric-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Na= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS= --> [/url]
[url=http://forums.matronics.com]/wiki.matronics.com" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com

http://www.mat====

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours