Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb Ultrastar - Landing Gear Legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaghakhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Kolb Ultrastar - Landing Gear Legs Reply with quote

Can someone please shed some light on the specific length of the landing gear legs on the Ultrastar. They are recommended around 22". If they were to be extended anywhere from 4 to 6", will it make the Ultrastar too unstable and way more prone to ground loop? Will it become overly unstable or relatively a little more unstable on landings/cross wind landings?
I am sure you can guess the reason which is prop size and ground/boom clearance distance!
Your expert insights and wisdom is much appreciated!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slingshot003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb Ultrastar - Landing Gear Legs Reply with quote

Hello UltraStar Owner,

I raised landing gear 12" & lowered the engine mount 6" to have better ground clearance and also run a 60" 3 blade prop. Had no problem what so ever with ground handling; I could land at a steeper angle of attack; and bungee suspension absorbed the shock instead of breaking as I had done several times!
The huge increase in thrust also greatly increase my climb rate and lowered the cruise rpm, With the addition of full length flaperons that could go down 45 degrees, I could descend almost vertical with full control. I sold it to a guy in Miami in the late 90's. I often wonder if it is still flying somewhere. I have owned and flown a bunch of Kolb models and that UltraStar with its low center of thrust was in a league of its own. (Can you tell I was attached to that plane?) -Richard Swiderski

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

slingshot003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb Ultrastar - Landing Gear Legs Reply with quote

Hello UltraStar Owner,

I raised landing gear 12" & lowered the engine mount 6" to have better ground clearance and also run a 60" 3 blade prop. Had no problem what so ever with ground handling; I could land at a steeper angle of attack; and bungee suspension absorbed the shock instead of breaking as I had done several times!
The huge increase in thrust also greatly increase my climb rate and lowered the cruise rpm, With the addition of full length flaperons that could go down 45 degrees, I could descend almost vertical with full control. I sold it to a guy in Miami in the late 90's. I often wonder if it is still flying somewhere. I have owned and flown a bunch of Kolb models and that UltraStar with its low center of thrust was in a league of its own. (Can you tell I was attached to that plane?) -Richard Swiderski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: