Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AV 30 Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmrjohn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: AV 30 Wiring Reply with quote

Now that the AV 30 has STC approval for certificated airplanes I have some questions on the wiring differences.

The experimental say power is to be from the battery or essential bus only, the "approved" manual says power is from the avionics bus or main master relay. Can the experimental version also be powered from the avionics bus?

The certified calls for a 3/16" braided ground strap from the of the d-sub back shell, maximum of 8". What would be a similar sized stranded wire, and would the also be a good idea for the experimental version?

On the wiring diagrams some of the shielded wire symbols have an X in them. Does this indicate twisted pair?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

AV30 Experimental.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.45 KB
 Viewed:  2477 Time(s)

AV30 Experimental.jpg

AV30 Cert..jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.07 KB
 Viewed:  2477 Time(s)

AV30 Cert..jpg

farmrjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AV 30 Wiring Reply with quote

Bump, primarily to re-ask the question about the diagrams with the "X" in the shield symbol. Thanks, John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: AV 30 Wiring Reply with quote

At 06:21 PM 9/8/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com>

Bump, primarily to re-ask the question about the diagram for the certified version with the "X" in the shield symbol. Thanks, John

I would infer that to indicate twisted conductors . . .
but then I think one would be hard pressed to find
a shielded pair that was not twisted.

Bob . . .

donjohnston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AV 30 Wiring Reply with quote

I would agree. On the second drawing, the only place TPS is shown is on those wires with the "X".

Although it does appear the shields are grounded in two places. I thought the idea was to always ground the shield at one end.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: AV 30 Wiring Reply with quote

At 04:28 PM 9/9/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com>

I would agree. On the second drawing, the only place TPS is shown is on those wires with the "X".

Although it does appear the shields are grounded in two places. I thought the idea was to always ground the shield at one end.

Yes . . . but.

If the design goal for shielding wires
is to BREAK and electro-static coupling
mode between potential antagonist/victim
wires, then yes . . . connect shield to
one ground only.

SOME installations exploit the shield as
part of the energy management goal. One
example can be seen in the Z-figures where
I recommend GROUNDING a p-lead shield at
the magneto end then using the shield
to provide a GROUND PATH for the switch
at the other end. Some authors have
suggested that p-leads need to be shield
grounded at BOTH ends which has no foundation
in physics and raises risks for some ground
loop issues.

I've also used the shield as a return
path for incandescent bulbs illuminating
a whisky compass. Providing a coaxially
concentric out-and-back path for bulb
currents cancels magnetic fields around
the wire and prevents illumination induced
heading errors.

The best thing to do is follow the
manufacturer's installation instructions.
I cannot assert they are always 'golden'
but there just might be a good reason
for doubling up shield terminations.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: