Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you turn 13 D-Sub pins into 5 wires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigoris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: How do you turn 13 D-Sub pins into 5 wires? Reply with quote

Hi Group I have 13 pins on a D-Sub connector coming from Avionics that need to go to single point ground firewall field of tabs. I need to turn into ~ 5 wires that will go to field of tabs. I think I remember seeing how to do this but can't find it. Thx. Ron P.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: How do you turn 13 D-Sub pins into 5 wires? Reply with quote

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:58 PM rparigoris <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)>

Hi Group I have 13 pins on a D-Sub connector coming from Avionics that need to go to single point ground firewall field of tabs. I need to turn into ~ 5 wires that will go to field of tabs. I think I remember seeing how to do this but can't find it. Thx. Ron P.
Hi Ron,
Are you talking about the 'panel ground' Dsub described in Z15L1 in the book?  
I used a slightly different technique. I used a solder style female connector for the ground buss, and soldered a larger gauge wire bridged across all the pins, with a larger gauge wire soldered to each end of the Dsub, and run to the firewall ground. Not '5 wire' redundant, but still redundant, and all panel ground currents can be safely/adequately carried by either of the two bigger wires to the firewall.
Regardless of the number of ground wires going back to the firewall, the drawing shows all tied to a ground 'bus'. That would mean that all the pins in the Dsub should be common to each other at the Dsub. If you used a regular crimp style Dsub on the panel, you can get to the same point by using 'ballast' wires, ~6" long, from each pin. All the wires would be brought together at their free ends, and the 5 ground wires would attach there. For something that big, I'd solder/heat shrink. But if you prefer all-crimps, you can do it in 'stages', but having multiple 'Y's with a convenient number of wires (3 or 4) in each crimp, and those 'outputs' gathered into a last crimp to mate with your 5 ground wires to the firewall. Only downside to this is that the final sum-point to the 5 ground wires is a single point of failure (if you do a really lousy job in making up that joint). Smile
Note that if you used subgroups of 3 or 4 pins to each  of the 5 grounds back to the firewall (without tying all the pins together at/near the panel ground Dsub), and one of the 5 wires breaks, you'd lose ground for all the devices grounded through that particular wire.
Hope that gives you some ideas on how to proceed,
Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

johnbright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you turn 13 D-Sub pins into 5 wires? Reply with quote

Ref "Avionics and Panel Ground System" in chapter 18, page 18-11, of the Aeroelectric Connection book.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Books/Connection/

N1921R links
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: