Want to join the club, but.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
444tx

Joined: 31 May 2017
Location: San Antonio, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

Thinking of a tail wheel YAK 52TW or 52TD. Hard to find and little information. They say that parts are readily available and cheap, but I do not see anything on line. I do not find any forums, information, user groups, support, anything on the planes. Where does one start to gain knowledge.

I am not new to aviation. Have 3000+ GA hours, A&P/IA, 2500+taildragger, built an RV8, have a Cessna 180 plus 3 other planes, and would like a round engine plane and a warbird. So T6 or YAK.

What to do? Any thoughts and recommendations. Where do I go for support, parts, manuals, special tools, etc. Looking at a plane, but there have been some mods I do not care for. How to go back. Parts and support?

Help. Please don’t be like the CAF.

George

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
GeorgeCoy

Joined: 02 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

Good morning,

The TW version of the Yak-52 was my innovation. I had the Aerostar factory who made the Yak-52 re-design the aircraft to the TW version. I subsequently contracted for 38 of them. It is a great airplane, easy to fly and very good performance.
The TD version was a Lithuanian version of the same thing.
The parts are pretty much not available. The factory ceased production and 5 years later destroyed the jigs, dies and tooling. I know this as I tried to buy them.
That said most of the TW or TTD parts are the same as the standard Yak-52 and there are a lot of them and parts around.
The engine is still in production and well supported.
Most of the accessories and some of the airframe parts were from U.S sources and they are still available. (wheels, tires, brakes, electrical equipment etc)

George Coy
CAS Ltd.
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488 USA
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com
SKYPE george.coy

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
bmacey916(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

Message or call me 303.400.1900
On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 2:15 AM 444tx <georgesautorepair(at)sbcglobal.net (georgesautorepair(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "444tx" <georgesautorepair(at)sbcglobal.net (georgesautorepair(at)sbcglobal.net)>

Thinking of a tail wheel YAK 52TW or 52TD. Hard to find and little information. They say that parts are readily available and cheap, but I do not see anything on line. I do not find any forums, information, user groups, support, anything on the planes. Where does one start to gain knowledge.

I am not new to aviation. Have 3000+ GA hours, A&P/IA, 2500+taildragger, built an RV8, have a Cessna 180 plus 3 other planes, and would like a round engine plane and a warbird. So T6 or YAK.

What to do? Any thoughts and recommendations. Where do I go for support, parts, manuals, special tools, etc. Looking at a plane, but there have been some mods I do not care for. How to go back. Parts and support?

Help. Please don’t be like the CAF.

George

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
444tx

Joined: 31 May 2017
Location: San Antonio, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

George C

Thanks for the reply. I was a young and poor pilot when the TW was new, only dreaming of owning one. It must have taken a lot of effort to help bring it to life in the US. Dealing with eastern block countries can be difficult.

I have many questions on the differences between different 52’s. Were any of the TD’s new, or were they rebuilt 52’s. I see the TD’s have air brakes and the TW’s have hydraulic brakes. Is the gear something special or a modified stock gear. Is there anything that is near impossible to repair and/or replace. Would you please provide information on some of the differences.

I have been watching for a TW and have seen none for sale. With only 38 built it may be a long wait to even have a chance at one.

George M

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Viperdoc

Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Location: 08A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

http://www.termikas.com/Termikas can answer many of your TD questions since they did the R& D and marketing of the TD.
We assembled Dave “Goatboy” Jester’s TD in my hanger in the Early mid 2005 ‘ish.
Tim Williams Had his TW up for sale about a year ago but I do not know the outcome. Haven’t been over to his hanger in about 7 mo. On Lake Martin. He bought a T 28 and was planning on swelling the TW.
My 52 may well be on the market in the neat future as I gear down for retirement.
Doc Kemp

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

<================================================

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Viperdoc
wdjester(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

Call me to talk about the TD....

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Jul 21, 2020, at 8:41 PM, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com> wrote:

http://www.termikas.com/
Termikas can answer many of your TD questions since they did the R& D and marketing of the TD.
We assembled Dave “Goatboy” Jester’s TD in my hanger in the Early mid 2005 ‘ish.
Tim Williams Had his TW up for sale about a year ago but I do not know the outcome. Haven’t been over to his hanger in about 7 mo. On Lake Martin. He bought a T 28 and was planning on swelling the TW.
My 52 may well be on the market in the neat future as I gear down for retirement.
Doc Kemp

Sent from my iPad

>> On Jul 19, 2020, at 9:18 PM, 444tx <georgesautorepair(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

> George C
>
> Thanks for the reply. I was a young and poor pilot when the TW was new, only dreaming of owning one. It must have taken a lot of effort to help bring it to life in the US. Dealing with eastern block countries can be difficult

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
easy_driver

Joined: 25 Jul 2020
Location: Alexandria, VA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

George,

i know people here in VA were offering something like Yak-54 ( if i'm not mistaken ) for far less than 52TW.
Nino, VA
444tx wrote:
Thinking of a tail wheel YAK 52TW or 52TD. Hard to find and little information. They say that parts are readily available and cheap, but I do not see anything on line. I do not find any forums, information, user groups, support, anything on the planes. Where does one start to gain knowledge.

I am not new to aviation. Have 3000+ GA hours, A&P/IA, 2500+taildragger, built an RV8, have a Cessna 180 plus 3 other planes, and would like a round engine plane and a warbird. So T6 or YAK.

What to do? Any thoughts and recommendations. Where do I go for support, parts, manuals, special tools, etc. Looking at a plane, but there have been some mods I do not care for. How to go back. Parts and support?

Help. Please don’t be like the CAF.

George

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Harv

Joined: 01 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Want to join the club, but. Reply with quote

Here's one that's for sale, I'm sure the seller would answer any question

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1588948-YAK-52TD.html?catid=23451

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours