Static System Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
jnmeade

Joined: 27 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

Just a slight clarification of Kelly's comment. "Aircraft in question is
either ELSA or E-AMB, built
for VFR only." I'm just pointing out in case someone gets the wrong
impression that ELSA and E-AB may be IFR capable. My Flight Design CTSW
ELSA is legal for IMC and can be filed IFR. Granted, few ELSA seem to be
capable of IFR, but that doesn't mean they can't be if equipped per FAR
91.205. A fair number of E-AB are IFR capable, as can be seen by a visit
to VansAirForce web site. So the particular aircraft under discussion may
well be VFR only, but I just wanted to make sure the casual reader didn't
conclude that ELSA and E-AB are not or can not be IFR. Sorry for the
distraction.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

There is no difference between VFR and IFR capable aircraft in the requirements for testing altimetry systems, transponders, and encoders. If you're in rule airspace, you need to do the tests every two years.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 06:29 James Meade <jnmeade(at)southslope.net (jnmeade(at)southslope.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "James Meade" <jnmeade(at)southslope.net (jnmeade(at)southslope.net)>

Just a slight clarification of Kelly's comment.  "Aircraft in question is
either ELSA or E-AMB, built
       for VFR only."  I'm just pointing out in case someone gets the wrong
impression that ELSA and E-AB may be IFR capable.  My Flight Design CTSW
ELSA is legal for IMC and can be filed IFR.  Granted, few ELSA seem to be
capable of IFR, but that doesn't mean they can't be if equipped per FAR
91.205.  A fair number of E-AB are IFR capable, as can be seen by a visit
to VansAirForce web site.  So the particular aircraft under discussion may
well be VFR only, but I just wanted to make sure the casual reader didn't
conclude that ELSA and E-AB are not or can not be IFR.  Sorry for the
distraction.
===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

Interesting thought, and contrary to what a friend who does xpndr certs has to say about them. (Not the time interval, but the level of testing requirements.)
On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:39 AM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

david(at)carter.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

Always best to read the regs.  This article will point you to the respective regs for IFR-only altimeter checks & VFR/IFR transponder checks.
https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/maintenance-and-inspections/aircraft-inspections
On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
stein(at)steinair.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

Indeed. This shouldn’t even be a debate – though VFR and IFR both require a 24 mo inspection, WHAT they require is totally and utterly different – they are NOT the same.

We do hundreds of these per year, both IFR and VFR and can verify there is a substantial difference between the requirements for VFR and IFR checks.

Cheers,
Stein

[...]

rv10pro(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

Stein, Thank You for correcting this simple misunderstanding in the Experimental Community.  Could not say it better.  Know the regs, stay on good terms with your Avionics Rep.  ELSA have strict equipment requirements.  I am not up to speed on which ELSA are IFR qualified.  I do know of many IFR equipment Amatuer Built E-AB.
John Cox - Retire Airline Avionics Technician

--
Johnny C.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

My apologies, a while back I checked the FARs and it looked to me like they were the same as in Canada but I either got it wrong or looked in the wrong place. Thank you for the correction.

Which regs does the encoder come under? Altimeter or transponder?
On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 10:56 Stein Bruch <stein(at)steinair.com (stein(at)steinair.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Static System Test Reply with quote

If your friend is referring to RVSM requirements then that's true but I don't know many E-AB aircraft flying above 28 000'. Otherwise what requirements are different?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 08:52 Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Static System Test Reply with quote

[quote="rv10pro(at)gmail.com"]Stein, Thank You for correcting this simple misunderstanding in the Experimental Community.  Could not say it better.  Know the regs, stay on good terms with your Avionics Rep.  ELSA have strict equipment requirements.

Some further clarification may be in order.

Yes, ELSA Experimental Light Sport Aircraft must be built exactly like SLSA Special Light Sport Aircraft or start life as a factory built SLSA.

As soon as the ELSA airworthiness certificate is issued, the plane can be extensively modified (so long as the change is not so great as to requires a new Operating Limitation).

If you want to use a different tire or battery in your SLSA, you must have an MOA from the manufacturer. If you want to use a different battery, tire, radio, seat belt, EFS, etc in your ELSA you make a log book entry (again, so long as you don't materially change the characteristics of the aircraft).

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours