Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lord engine suspension rubbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

My question concerns MT04 or Lord J 3608-1 suspension rubbers. I recall from perhaps a few years ago that there was some debate about these items and assertions that they were either too hard or too soft. Thus far I can't find any reference on the website to this controversy. Can anyone inform me about this, please?

Also I've been trying to call Karen at Europa without success for almost a week, to find out about availability. Is she furloughed?

Thanks for whatever information you can provide.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

Jonathan,
I got parts from the factory last Monday, but this was a very long process. It seems they are working part time due to the chineese stuff. I did not manage to talk to Karen but had a contact with Dave.
Regarding the MT04, I had trouble years ago with way too soft parts supplied by Europa. They supplied replacement parts which I installed 18 months ago, and they are fine.

Remi

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

Thanks Remi.

GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

Hello Jonathan,

I did get a response from Dave at Europa when I emailed Karen. I have
Been speaking to him this week and the number I used was 01603

Regards

Gordon

G-BWFH
erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

Hello Jonathan,

I just recently switched from the MT04 to the Lord J3608-1. Aware of the QC issues with the MT04 (which I understand have since been resolved), I elected to install the Lord mounts after reading the archived posts on the topic.

I can confirm the Lord mounts are much softer than the MT04s. Also, new spacers are required as the bore of the Lord mount is larger. I machined the new spacers such that they were the same length of the Europa supplied ones.  Quite a bit of shimming was required to raise the engine back to its original location and I found there was significant movement of the engine during a “botched start.” In hind sight I believe the spacers should be shortened a bit in order to provide more preload on the mounts, which should result in less shimming and engine movement.

I use the term “botched start” to describe an unsuccessful start of a warm/hot engine. Typically the engine is still warm from previous flight, say returning to the airport after flying in for lunch. Using the normal starting procedure (without choke) the engine fires but not quite on all cylinders, it seems. There is this jerky motion whereby the engine seems to stutter back and forth shaking violently. Its rather unnerving, and you can’t seem to the stop the engine quick enough.

BTW, the engine moved so much during the “botched start” that the propeller spinner contacted the cowl in two places. Ouch! In addition to the spinner contacting the cowl, I found that the S.B. airbox to carb rubber connecting hose had come off the aft end of the carb and the airbox had slid partly off the hose from the turbo. Now that’s a lot of shaking!

I now use the following hot start procedure anytime other than starting a cold soaked engine. Fuel pumps off and throttle wide open. As soon as the engine starts immediately move the throttle to idle, wait until the engine just starts to run out of fuel before turning on the fuel pump.

It seems that even a minor change can have significant unintended consequences. I was not successful in finding information on the internet regarding pre-load requirements/spacer length for the Lord mounts. If anyone has such information I would be mighty obliged.

Regards,
Erich
N28ET Classic Mono 914

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lord engine suspension rubbers Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Dave has kindly contacted me with the information I was seeking.

Jonathan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: