What's all this 'maintainer' stuff anyhow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: What's all this 'maintainer' stuff anyhow? Reply with quote

The Battery Tender Jr. (BTJr) saga continued . . .

I let the BTJr recharged battery set for 24+ hours
and this morning I read 12.74 volts open circuit.

Recall that our BTJr charger-maintainer 'relaxed'
to a maintenance level of 13.3V. Okay, I put
the battery on a bench supply set for 13.3 volts.
The test article battery immediately presented
a 'load' of 25mA.

Now, if this value represents the battery's
internal leakage, then one might predict
that the battery would self-discharge to
less than useless in 12000mAh/25mA = 480H
or thereabouts ~ 20 days.

This particular battery is a Orscheln Farm & Home
lawn tractor battery. I think it retails for
about $35 and this particular subject is 3+
years old but kept on the same maintainer that
were using to do the BTJr recharge studies.

I'll leave it on the bench for awhile to see if the
'maintenance' current changes.

The next step is to cap check the battery again
to see how well the BTJr stuffed the energy
back in.

Watch this space . . .

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: What's all this 'maintainer' stuff anyhow? Reply with quote

The Battery Tender Jr. (BTJr) saga continued . . .

> Recall that our BTJr charger-maintainer 'relaxed'
> 'load' of 25mA.
> Now, if this value represents the battery's
> internal leakage, then one might predict
> that the battery would self-discharge to
> less than useless in 12000mAh/25mA = 480H
> or thereabouts ~ 20 days.

After 24+ hours, the maintenance current
is down to 19mA . . . which raises another
question . . . what is the long term behavior
of maintenance current for this battery?
I'll explore that later.

Now for the second cap-check.

Watch this space . . .

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rv8iator

Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Location: Newberg, OR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: What's all this 'maintainer' stuff anyhow? Reply with quote

Quote:
The Battery Tender Jr. (BTJr) saga continued . . .
Thanks Bob!  Very illuminating info for the BTjr.   Have you run same for Schumacher SC 13xx maintainers?
...chris stone

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 4:38 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 10:40 AM 6/20/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
The Battery Tender Jr. (BTJr) saga continued . . .

  I finished plotting and annotating some
  Battery Tender Jr. performance compared
  to a laboratory-grade charging profile
  with a bench power supply.

  I hope the plots are self explanatory:

https://tinyurl.com/ybzv8t8n

  It's interesting that in spite of the fact
  that the BTJr wall-wart does not feature
  an oft recommended 'top-off' feature, the
  energy pumped into our test article battery
  was not substantially different than application
  of the 'lab-grade' recharging profile.

  I've got a couple BTJr C-Ms shepherding
  100AH truck batteries out in the shop. They've
  been on maintenance for over a year. Just
  for grins, I'll go measure the maintenance
  current on them tomorrow.

  Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
C. Stone (RV8iator)
skywagon185(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: What's all this 'maintainer' stuff anyhow? Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the plot information...Maintainers and their profiles.
Your details brought up a question.
Would you have a suggestion for a simple setup for measuring internal cell/battery resistance, IR, of lithium based cells.
Modelers use a lot of Lipo based batteries.  And there is a strong need to keep track of their condition and it seems like tracking IR could be the best option. A practical way to run the tests is sorely needed.
Your suggestions are always appreciated. D

At 10:40 AM 6/20/2020, you wrote:
[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours