Re : IFR certification

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:24 AM John Wigney <johnwigney(at)windstream.net (johnwigney(at)windstream.net)> wrote:

From: Jeff B <topglock(at)cox.net> (topglock(at)cox.net)

Subject: IFR certification Good morning all, I'm wondering if someone out there has any information on certifying the Europa for IFR flight (in the USA). Is there a statement in the operating limitations that might mention this? I've a person interested in my bird who is asking about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, -- Jeff

ehkjefpnnmjodmme.png

dikifmecfindfhgo.png
 Filesize:  233.49 KB
 Viewed:  3412 Time(s)

dikifmecfindfhgo.png

Back to top
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

Great write-up Paul, thx!
Question, why not leave the gear up till minimums to keep the speed up?

Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,
I hope you don't mind me offering a counter opinion. I didn't find my Europa a very good IFR platform. It was okay but I always maintained high personal minimum, 600' on the ILS and 800' for non precision approaches. I live in the mid west of the US and icing was always a concern. While one should never fly into know icing conditions I had inadvertently picked up ice in other aircraft I have flown and although concerning the aircraft performed well enough to land it. Even then I new that all that had happened was "I got away with it"

I did catch a small skim of ice on the Europa once and the aircraft immediately lost 20 knots and I was worried that it would just quit flying there and then! A flapless landing in a mono isn't possible and I was really (really) nervous lowing the gear. I know we can all say that we should avoid icing conditions but I encountered unforcasted ice many times. Over the years I got smarter at figuring out potential or possible conditions but I could never get comfortable. The other challenge is that its slow approach speed isn't an advantage for instrument approaches. You feel like you are hanging out on the ILS forever in wet moist clouds.
I haven't flown my aircraft for some time but in latter years all my IFR flying was in VFR conditions. It is nice to be able to fly away from somewhere crummy to somewhere nice, and I find the National Aerospace System (NAS) a delight to use.
Just my 2 cents worth, and as they say "Your mileage may vary"
Cheers, Paul

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:24 AM John Wigney <johnwigney(at)windstream.net (johnwigney(at)windstream.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Jeff,

There is a good link on this subject at https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/equipping-a-homebuilt-for-ifr-operations
I am not an IFR pilot but I have done 40 plus hours of training in my monowheel. My instructor was very happy with the plane and called it "a good IFR platform". I chose not to take the check ride as I decided not to fly single pilot IFR. A major reason for that is that I found the plane to be fairly neutral on heading and I was not happy to find myself 10 to 15 degrees off course if I groped around in the back for something. I have now fitted a heading autopilot driven by my Dynon D10A which works very well following the pink line on my Garmin 430 so that addresses that primary concern. I really have no need for IFR and am happy to leave it that way.

Anyway, I am not aware of any certification requirement apart from an entry in the logbook regarding compliance with 14 CFR Part 91, section 91.205.
Cheers, John
<ehkjefpnnmjodmme.png>
<dikifmecfindfhgo.png>

From: Jeff B <topglock(at)cox.net> (topglock(at)cox.net)

cakeykev(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

I did my imc training in my trigear

No problems at all.

I know some aircraft are more stable but to say it’s not a good IFR aircraft is not what I have found.

Kevin Challis
G ODJG
[quote] On 16 Jun 2020, at 18:06, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> I am not an IFR pilot but I have done 40 plus hours of training in my monowheel. My instructor was very happy with the plane and called it "a good IFR platform". I chose not to take the check ride as I decided not to fly single pilot IFR. A major reason for that is that I found the plane to be fairly neutral on heading and I was not happy to find myself 10 to 15 degrees off course if I groped around in the back for something. I have now fitted a heading autopilot driven by my Dynon D10A which works very well following the pink line on my Garmin 430 so that addresses that primary concern. I really have no need for IFR and am happy to leave it that way.
>>
>> Anyway, I am not aware of any certification requirement apart from an entry in the logbook regarding compliance with 14 CFR Part 91, section 91.205

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

Pete, for a while I did my practice currency this way. I could actually fly
an approach at 90 knots and still get it slow enough to get the gear out
and land. The trouble with this was that you only needed the slightest
distraction and you would be joining the ranks of “those who have”

The other challenge is that it was rare to break out in the clear, cloud
bottoms would be straggly and when you are at minimums you have to quickly
decide if the RVR is sufficient, you have enough of the environment in view
and the the runway will provide enough breaking action.

To be honest I always found single pilot IFR really tough and during my
brief stint of professional flying I thought I had died and gone to heaven
with 2 crew operations.

Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers, Paul

wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> There is a good link on this subject at
> https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/equipping-a-homebuilt-for-ifr-operations
>
> I am not an IFR pilot but I have done 40 plus hours of training in my
> monowheel. My instructor was very happy with the plane and called it "a
> good IFR platform". I chose not to take the check ride as I decided not to
> fly single pilot IFR. A major reason for that is that I found the plane to
> be fairly neutral on heading and I was not happy to find myself 10 to 15
> degrees off course if I groped around in the back for something. I have now
> fitted a heading autopilot driven by my Dynon D10A which works very well
> following the pink line on my Garmin 430 so that addresses that primary
> concern. I really have no need for IFR and am happy to leave it that way

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

Pretty valuable pennies! Thx!
Pete Smile

Quote:

From: Jeff B <topglock(at)cox.net> (topglock(at)cox.net)

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Re : IFR certification Reply with quote

I think our IFR experience in our Europa is like John’s. Granted we mostly use IFR to climb or descend thru a cloud deck and for ATC services, especially in congested or unfamiliar airspace. Since there is no snow removal at our airport, we do not fly much in January or February.

However, we have found our Europa carries ice without adversely changing the performance. Obviously we try to avoid icing and usually do. We have a conventional heated pitot which draws about 8 amps but with our modified voltage regulator, we have capacity so it can be used if necessary. There are more efficient pitots available today.

Since fitting an adjustable cowl flap, cabin heat and windscreen defogging is much less a problem than originally.

Jim, with the guidance of his regular CFII, has developed detailed IFR procedures that provide consistent results. He flies approaches frequently enough to maintain “legal” proficiency and he now completes both a Biannual Flight Review and Instrument Proficiency Check every twelve months (helps with insurance).

Our Europa flies “hands off” when properly trimmed (both pitch and aileron trim) and we have no autopilot, so all piloting is by hand. Approaches are flown at cruise settings until reaching the Final Approach Fix (FAF) at which point the airplane is changed to landing configuration (gear/flaps down, power and pitch for appropriate rate of descent (usually 500 fpm) and 60 kts).

Having an EFIS makes the mechanics of approaches easier because the information is presented efficiently. The velocity vector feature of our GRT EFIS reduces “chasing” the needles. Our navigation source is a Garmin GNS 430, so all approaches are setup and performed in a similar manner. Understanding how the GNS 430 operates and having the skill to use its features is key to IFR flight.

Jim & Heather