Post curing response

tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathan, Bud, William, and Lance,
I trialed my setup using my refrigerated van modified camper, cranked it up to 48 degrees Celsius, and now ready to do it properly after considering and making a few changes, like changing my heating source from radiant to ceramic and fan assisted, to minimize any thermal gradient effecting the closest component, even though I am using a fan to swirl around the interior airflow. I do plan on following Gurit’s technical data sheet for Ampreg 20, 16 hours at 50 degrees Celsius.
I vaguely recall and would like to ask, can the post cure wait till after wing filling?
I believe not, but have this lingering memory that possibly it could wait.
Thanks again fellas.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 22 May 2020, at 5:02 pm, Europa-List Digest Server <europa-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

*

Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete Europa-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Europa-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter 20-05-21&Archive=Europa

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter 20-05-21&Archive=Europa

EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

Europa-List Digest Archive
---
Total Messages Posted Thu 05/21/20: 4

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 02:52 AM - Post curing question re trailing edges (Tony Renshaw)
2. 05:21 AM - Re: Post curing question re trailing edges (JonathanMilbank)
3. 04:24 PM - Re: Post curing question re trailing edges (budyerly(at)msn.com)
4. 07:09 PM - Re: Post curing question re trailing edges (William Daniell)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________

Time: 02:52:27 AM PST US
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com>
Subject: Post curing question re trailing edges

> Gidday,
I am considering post curing my tailplanes, ailerons and flaps and am wondering
if people believe I should support the trailing edges, Im very happy with how
straight they are at the moment, and I dont want to wreck them. I have T shaped
aluminium straight edges I could use with double sided tape to stabilise them,
or do people believe with 50 degrees for 15 hours it should be materially
stable already and should just boil off the hardener? Any advice or suggestions
about supporting these components would be appreciated, even whether I can simply
prop them up so air can get completely around them, without any hotspots.
Im concerned even whether having them rest on specific hard points could be
an issue at 50 degrees.... personally I think not, but I dont want to find out
the hard way.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________

Time: 05:21:11 AM PST US
Subject: Re: Post curing question re trailing edges
From: "JonathanMilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk>

Hi again Tony,

When I did my post curing about 25 years ago, I didn't support the trailing edges
as far as I can remember. But then I had the leading edges pointing down, so
the trailing edges were up and unlikely to sag. Also I didn't post cure at 50
degrees C, rather at 45 to leave a safety margin in case the heat control was
inaccurate. The end result seemed / is satisfactory.

To the best of my limited understanding the hardener doesn't "boil off", but simply
continues to react with the resin while facilitating the hardening process.
I'm ready to be corrected in this matter. Ampreg 20 is the product which I
was using.

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________

Time: 04:24:38 PM PST US
From: "budyerly(at)msn.com" <budyerly(at)msn.com>

Being in Florida in a hot barn I never have done a heater post cure on the stock
XS E glass aircraft, during the summer, but on the carbon fiber spar work in
the winter, I did as the Gurit literature states to do a post cure to achieve
proper cure of its slower hardeners.

Never lay a freshly cured aileron flat between supports, it will sag. Always allow
a component to cure above 75F-80F for 8-12 hours minimum. Even Gurit medium
hardener cures fully at these temperatures. To get a bit more stiffness one
should post cure Ampreg 20 series epoxy used in thin components laid up with
thin glass over foam. Aeropoxy 2032/PH3660 fully cures at room temp in 8-12
hours and for those very thin components exposed to desert sun, a heat cure to
120 F is recommended. Paint the component any color you want as long as it
is white and you won't have issues with the glass parts deforming. Dark colored
painted surfaces should be heat cured in a well supported mold or surface
to preserve their final shape before heat curing in an oven (normally heated
to about 140-150F) as the surface temperature will be quite hot for a dark blue
painted surface, but a white painted surface will be cool to the touch even
in direct sunlight, therefore high temp heat cure is not necessary for white finished
Aeropoxy parts.

In Florida my metal building in the hot sun post cures even Ampreg 20 series within
one day at roughly 100-110F for 8 hours. Over a few weeks at these temps
it really hardens the cure. For those in a hurry Gurit says 50C or 120F for
16 hours is sufficient for slow cure hardener (which really stays sticky for a
long time and does not deep cure without heat ((NASTY). Dark painted surfaces
should be cured at a slightly higher temp for about 8 hours. The Gurit rep
I contacted was comfortable with a room temp layup and cure of their medium hardener
if the temps throughout the layup time and cure was accomplished over a
few days at this warm room temp. But even if post cured at 50C, the thin glass
structures like an aileron will not be stiff enough to be stored only supported
on its ends in a horizontal position if stored in high heat. He suggested
that thin parts be stored long axis horizontal with the parts either vertical
(TE down or up) if supported only on its ends or just stack it vertical leaning
against the wall perfectly vertical.

PTW Aeropoxy preferred all components be supported fully if stored at high temperatures
(like dessert sun in a hot metal building) even if heat cured to 120
F.

Gurit has declared their Ampreg 20 series epoxy laminating systems obsolete. Their
new 3X series fully cures at a warm room temp 20C like Aeropoxy 2030. Post
curing the laminate will greatly increase mechanical/thermal properties. The
system will achieve similar properties with a cure of 5 hours at 70 - 80C or
16 hours at 50C. The latter temperature is easily achievable with low cost heating
and insulation techniques.
The post cure need not be carried out immediately after laminating. It is possible
to assemble several composite components and post-cure the
entire assembly together. It is recommended, however, that elevated temperature
curing should be completed before any further painting /
finishing operations. Furthermore, care should be taken to adequately support the
laminate if it is to be post cured after demoulding, and the
laminate must be allowed to cool before the support is removed.

Bottom line: Properly support your components while curing, post curing, and in
storage.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

________________________________ Message 4 _____________________________________

Time: 07:09:33 PM PST US
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com>

I made supports/cradles from eps

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

>>> On Thu, May 21, 2020, 05:55 Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Gidday,
> I am considering post curing my tailplanes, ailerons and flaps and am
> wondering if people believe I should support the trailing edges, I
=99m very
> happy with how straight they are at the moment, and I don=99t want
to wreck
> them. I have T shaped aluminium straight edges I could use with double
> sided tape to stabilise them, or do people believe with 50 degrees for 15
> hours it should be materially stable already and should just boil off the
> hardener? Any advice or suggestions about supporting these components wou
ld
> be appreciated, even whether I can simply prop them up so air can get
> completely around them, without any hotspots. I=99m concerned even
whether
> having them rest on specific hard points could be an issue at 50
> degrees.... personally I think not, but I don=99t want to find out
the hard
> way.
> Regards
> Tony Renshaw
===========
===========
===========
===========
===========

flyingphil2

Joined: 04 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Tony, just out of interest, when were the control surfaces laid up?

I remember having a conversation with Andy Draper about this and I've just read the Gurit 'Guide to Composites'. As I understand it, post curing is only necessary if you are in a rush and want to crack on with the build. Otherwise you have to wait but the resin will eventually go off at room temperature and according to the Gurit document that may take 'several hours or even days at room temperature'. If your control surfaces were built more than a few weeks ago then I believe you can assume the resin is cured if it was mixed correctly.

Have I understood that correctly? I have some control surfaces in my possession that were laid up in 2001. They've not been post cured but I'm pretty sure the resin has cured after 19 years!

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Fwiw, It was my understanding that a post cure raised the Tg (glass transition temp, when it ‘gets soft’ and expands) of the finished product.

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On May 28, 2020, at 11:22 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Tony, just out of interest, when were the control surfaces laid up?

I remember having a conversation with Andy Draper about this and I've just read the Gurit 'Guide to Composites'. As I understand it, post curing is only necessary if you are in a rush and want to crack on with the build. Otherwise you have to wait but the resin will eventually go off at room temperature and according to the Gurit document that may take 'several hours or even days at room temperature'. If your control surfaces were built more than a few weeks ago then I believe you can assume the resin is cured if it was mixed correctly.

Have I understood that correctly? I have some control surfaces in my possession that were laid up in 2001. They've not been post cured but I'm pretty sure the resin has cured after 19 years!

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Yes Pete,
That is the intension of post cure to “stiffen” the glass up to the post cure temp.
It can in some epoxy/glass increase the tensile strength but little for the compressive strength.

Thanks,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>

Fwiw, It was my understanding that a post cure raised the Tg (glass transition temp, when it ‘gets soft’ and expands) of the finished product.

Cheers,
Pete

> On May 28, 2020, at 11:22 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "flyingphil2" <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com>
>
> Tony, just out of interest, when were the control surfaces laid up?
>
> I remember having a conversation with Andy Draper about this and I've just read the Gurit 'Guide to Composites'. As I understand it, post curing is only necessary if you are in a rush and want to crack on with the build. Otherwise you have to wait but the resin will eventually go off at room temperature and according to the Gurit document that may take 'several hours or even days at room temperature'. If your control surfaces were built more than a few weeks ago then I believe you can assume the resin is cured if it was mixed correctly.
>
> Have I understood that correctly? I have some control surfaces in my possession that were laid up in 2001. They've not been post cured but I'm pretty sure the resin has cured after 19 years!
>

> Read this topic online here:

flyingphil2

Joined: 04 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Ah!
So does it mean that the 'Tg' is essentially room temperature unless you post cure it and raise it to a higher figure?

Does that also mean that unused control surfaces that are 19 years old should still be post cured then?

How many builders did this? There's no mention of post curing in the build handbook is there?

Thanks,
Phil

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

No, tg is in the lower hundreds from a room temp cure typically. Post curing typically raises it some 10’s of degrees. So it’s not mandatory, but does help somewhat in hot climates.

Best to reference the epoxy spec sheets for specifics.

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On May 28, 2020, at 5:30 PM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Ah!
So does it mean that the 'Tg' is essentially room temperature unless you post cure it and raise it to a higher figure?

Does that also mean that unused control surfaces that are 19 years old should still be post cured then?

How many builders did this? There's no mention of post curing in the build handbook is there?

Thanks,
Phil

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Pete,
One more thing. Sorry, I’m out in the field and that answer was too short.

Ampreg 20 series also has a hard time fully curing fully without heat. If not brought up to its cure temp it does not come up to its design strength. So an epoxy cured below its design cure temp will cure very slowly and over time will cure, but if the component is put into storage or stressed or worse yet put into service before fully cured it will deflect under load more than a glass structure fully cured.

I’m afraid I dwell on simple things. Epoxy should cure at a room temp without the need for heat. That is why I prefer the epoxy I do and am glad Ampreg has changed their formula.

Post cure is to stiffen the glass and raise the Tg for sure. But it is beyond a homebuilders ability to improve the Tg. However, in testing we found that for those folks in cold climates, the increased post cure of the manufacturers assured full cure of the epoxy which is more important. Many believe that the post cure made the epoxy stronger and that it will not “liquify” or loose it structural integrity above the glass transition point. That is not necessarily true.

Bruce Neiderer at West Systems did a nice job of explaining how Tg is determined and convinced me that it is more important to get a full cure IAW the manufacturers guidance than curing in cold temps and then post curing at a lower temperature later on. There is a time when an epoxy lay up will be fully cured if left at a specific temperature. This has nothing to do with the Glass Transition Temperature. Tg is the point where the glass begins to become rubbery. This is a very high temperature normally and defines high heat exposure in an aircraft cowl for instance where we must consider protecting the structural epoxy from becoming rubbery.

As when I talked to Bruce, we normally as builders need to know the following:
Fully cure the epoxy IAW the manufacturers requirements.
Don’t worry about the strength from post cure, it is more important to get an assured curing of the epoxy and has nothing to due with overall strength or frankly stiffness. It’s all about the cure out…
IF the epoxy / glass structure is exposed to high heat then consider the Tg of the glass, otherwise to a light aircraft or glider builder it is irrelavant...

Feel free to read his article https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=363
In his article he explains the Glass Transition Temperature and how it is tested. Good reading.

There are also some extensive tests done on high temp vacuum bag cure which is all the rage now as it does two things. It assures a full cure, no out gassing or bubbles in the cure of the product which reduces strength, and allows the part to immediately go into service. Great stuff but beyond our home building capabilities.

Sorry for the short answer before. One must always adhere to the epoxy manufacturers recommendations. It is absolutely essential to get a proper cure out of the epoxy, especially if post heating is necessary to assure a proper cure. If one cannot meet their cure requirements, use a different epoxy. I’m glad all you overseas can use the new Ampreg 3 series and have a more comfortable glass and cure experience without fear of the epoxy not properly curing out.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>

Fwiw, It was my understanding that a post cure raised the Tg (glass transition temp, when it ‘gets soft’ and expands) of the finished product.

Cheers,
Pete

> On May 28, 2020, at 11:22 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "flyingphil2" <philipjtiller(at)gmail.com>
>
> Tony, just out of interest, when were the control surfaces laid up?
>
> I remember having a conversation with Andy Draper about this and I've just read the Gurit 'Guide to Composites'. As I understand it, post curing is only necessary if you are in a rush and want to crack on with the build. Otherwise you have to wait but the resin will eventually go off at room temperature and according to the Gurit document that may take 'several hours or even days at room temperature'. If your control surfaces were built more than a few weeks ago then I believe you can assume the resin is cured if it was mixed correctly.
>
> Have I understood that correctly? I have some control surfaces in my possession that were laid up in 2001. They've not been post cured but I'm pretty sure the resin has cured after 19 years!
>

> Read this topic online here:

rparigoris

Joined: 24 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Hi Group Here's some things Aeropoxy has to say about their Epoxy:
https://www.ptm-w.com/aeropoxy/aeropoxy-faq.html#14
and another:
https://www.ptm-w.com/aeropoxy/AEROPOXY%20Product%20Bulletins/AEROPOXY%20PR2032%20Bulletin%20w-4%20Hardeners%2024Jun08.pdf
Ron P.

Kelvin Weston

Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Gents

The Europa Build Manual calls for a post-cure, see Chapter 37, Page 2, which states:

"The first thing that you need to do with your flying surfaces is post-cure them at a temperature between 40 - 50C. This will improve their strength and cook off any remaining volatiles and moisture within the epoxy system.
Make a simple oven with foam blocks, timber or sheets and an electric fan heater and cure your flying surfaces for 8-10 hours.
Do take care not to get them too hot and make sure that they are fully supported."

The Ampreg 20 and 21 datasheets from Gurit shows an initial cure at a minimum of 18C (ideally 24hrs at 21C) followed by an elevated post-cure of 5 hours at 70 - 80C or 16 hours at 50C.

The datasheet also states:
“The post-cure need not be carried out immediately after laminating. It is possible to assemble several composite components and post-cure the entire assembly together. It is recommended, however, that elevated temperature curing should be completed before any further painting / finishing operations.
Furthermore, care should be taken to adequately support the laminate if it is to be post-cured after demoulding, and the laminate must be allowed to cool before the support is removed.
When post-curing it is recommended to use a ramp rate of 10 degC/hour when heating from ambient to the post-cure temperature, to ensure that the thermal performance of the laminate stays ahead of the oven temperature. Higher ramp rates may result in the resin softening and distortion of the part.”

The resulting specs with standard hardener for Ampreg 20, 21 and 30 are all very similar and result in a Tg of around:
58C - Room temperature cure (28 days at 21C)
73C - Elevated post cure (16hrs at 50C)

The ultimate Tg for Ampreg 20 and 30 is stated as around 98C. Ampreg 21 was slightly lower at 91C

Regards

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

A word of caution for those post-curing flying surfaces with blue foam cores: stick to the upper temperature limit of 50C in the Europa Build Manual quoted below. While the Gurit datasheets for Ampreg 20 and 21 also specify elevated post-cure of up to 80C, this may be used for other parts but is too high a temperature for the blue foam.

Some years ago the operator of a commercial oven was being sued because they had heated a Classic wing to 80C for 5 hours instead of the 50C for 8 hours that had been specified by the owner. The result was a wing sagging over the supports, just like the cautionary tale of the Quickie builder mentioned on Page 37-3 of the Manual.

Regards,

Mike
Dr Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer
01480 451655
07885 355765

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

A word of caution for those post-curing flying surfaces with blue foam cores: stick to the upper temperature limit of 50C in the Europa Build Manual quoted below. While the Gurit datasheets for Ampreg 20 and 21 to

flyingphil2

Joined: 04 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses and it looks like I need to post cure the control surfaces then!

I'm still a little confused. There are other layups on the Europa - in the wings and in the fuselage (including the u/c layups if you build a tri-gear). How come these are not required to be post cured?

John Wighton

Joined: 18 May 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Post-curing is essential to achieve optimal bond strength. This applies to laminated parts and also part to part glued joints. The regime for the post-curing depends on the system used. Some systems achieve full strength when exposed to RT (ambient 20 deg C) other require higher temperatures. Generally higher temperatures result in full post-cure properties being achieved in a shorter time.

Ideally, Europa (composite airframes in general) should be post-cured in their entirety - achieved in an oven with a controlled environment. A Paintshop facility can provide these conditions.

It should be noted that the Achilles heel of composite aircraft (at least those approved via the LAA) has been the requirement to use a 'Composites Super-Factor' (see LAA TL 1.17). This takes into account the significant variability in composite strength, stiffness, etc at non-RT conditions. It also includes a variability factor that accounts for variations in the processes of laminating, jointing, etc. This CSF can be as high as 1.50. A reduction in CSF may be negotiated, this is more likely if documented processes and post-cure is followed. Recent discussions with LAA Engineering indicate that CSF of 1.20 may be possible in some circumstances. This can have a significant influence on RFs (margins of safety) calculations and even MAUW determination.

My advice to Europa builders is to post-cure their entire airframe. Survey the airframe to ensure no items are present that will degrade at the chosen post-cure temperature.

A typical post-cure process will look something like the following (BUT adhere to the supplier instructions and limitations):

1. RT to xxC, ramped up at 1-2C per minute.
2. Hold (dwell) for 120 mins (typically 80C).
3. Ramp down at 1-2C/min.

The structure should be free (no clamping or holding things down), I would assemble the airframe but this is rarely possible.

John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD
brian.davies44(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Hi John,

I recognise your superior knowledge on this subject but is it wise to
recommend that Europa builders in particular post cure their entire
fuselage? There is now considerable in service experience with Europas that
have not been subject to this treatment and I am not aware of any safety
issues resulting from lack of post cure of the fuselage. I would also apply
the same logic to the XS wings that use factory moulded parts.

Regards

Brian Davies

John Wighton

Joined: 18 May 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Post curing response Reply with quote

Brian, thanks for your comment.

I am not aware of any negative influence that a fully cured structure can provide.

Post-curing of most Europa builds will occur in-service, hot days and heat soak can reach surface temperatures easily exceeding 55C. Prolonged exposure would compensate for the lack of higher temperatures, eventually. Hence most Europa will achieve something close to full strength over time. But that is hardly a controlled process.

Due to the adoption of generous CSF our Europa aircraft are designed to load levels rarely, if ever, encountered in service. Crashworthiness aside, the Europa is somewhat over-engineered.

Given that temperature exposure up to and beyond the Tg is not desireable, as chemical changes occur. Core temperature range is often cited as a limitation. However, aircraft materials should have the ability to work from -30C to +80C without degradation. Otherwise operational limitations will apply.

It's a bit like having a car paint job and driving off before the paint has fully cured. Why would you? Sure, the paint will cure eventually, but in the meantime it is soft and will incur scratches and other damages. Maybe an imperfect comparison but hopefully you see what l am talking about.

The tub to lower shell joint, top to bottle shells and wing pin reaction locations all need to achieve full strength. Post-curing to the manufacturer's process instructions is therefore my recommendation.

John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD
kjburns(at)btinternet.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Post curing response Reply with quote

Phil ,
All layups are post hardened, either with local temperature controlled heating (and logger in case of power failure etc.. for a few pounds .. graph can be downloaded on to computer ) ..that is what I did for Tri Gear bracing ( converted from Mono after 30 hours) ..
You can go the alternative route and build an insulated box for fuselage , and post harden (cure) everything in one go..(control surfaces ,wings , then fuse depending on stage completion ).

Use peel ply on internal areas like fuel filler cobra to extract excess resin / as post build temperature differences can “pull” and deform slightly showing as a slight deformed external skin.

Correct support of components is important, as is keeping within Europa build manual temperatures, ( and resin manufacturers guidelines as there may be differences due to specification changes over the years) ... do not be tempted to bump up the temperature beyond spec .

Statement above is important of you could end up with warping twisting , deamination and damage to cores ..

Manufacturers specifications are the primary references.

Make a mini test oven for your heaters controllers and loggers , make some test components...chocks , cradles , special rigging kit .. and test and tune before doing critical parts.

Post hardening allows lay ups to be worked without clogging tools.
Also when filling control surfaces ..sanding back the filler is less draggy craggy on your favourite abrasives.

These practices are from the hard stuff Slingsby glider repair manual , the UK bible for composite construction and maintenance , cure cycles of 18 to 24 hours are usual ..
Enjoy

Kevin Burns

Sent from my iPad