Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIS4 N343BS For Sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

I was sent this For Sale ad (N343BS).
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/avo/d/butler-kis-cruiser-tr-4/7090151098.html  

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Just as an FYI, this was the plane originally built by Bill Schertz and is a very beautiful build. Check it out. Very attractive price.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 10:51:52 AM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

randy.ott(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

That is going to be a hard sell. Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ...No.
New owner ..... No.
Auto mechanic ...... on aircraft? They will run faster than the plane flys.
A&P Aircraft mechanic ....No
Who is going to do the annual conditional inspections.....No one!
Its a pretty bird ...... but I don’t think it is manageable.
Hate to be a downer.... but with that engine and reduction drive and overhaul after a hundred hours cries out WARNING WILL ROBINSON!
Would not touch this with a 599 ft pole.
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net> wrote:

Just as an FYI, this was the plane originally built by Bill Schertz and is a very beautiful build. Check it out. Very attractive price.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 10:51:52 AM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

The Mazda engine is a drawback but at the price it would still be a good deal for an engine swap with say a Superior IO-360.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:59 PM, Randy Ott <randy.ott(at)gmail.com> wrote:

That is going to be a hard sell. Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ..No.
New owner ..... No.
A&P Aircraft mechanic .....No
Who is going to do the annual conditional inspections......No one!
Hate to be a downer.... but with that engine and reduction drive and overhaul after a hundred hours cries out WARNING WILL ROBINSON!
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Bob Reed

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Actually the operating experience with most of the people that have put Mazda Rotary Engines in planes has been quite good. This failure that required a rebuild was unusual, but things do happen.  

That said, You could literally unbolt the engine mount and the mounting locations used for this installation are the same as for a Lycoming.
It is less salable with a rotary than with a Lycoming, but it was a challenge and fun to make it work and build the plane and installation.
Bill Schertz
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:34 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
The Mazda engine is a drawback but at the price it would still be a good deal for an engine swap with say a Superior IO-360. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:59 PM, Randy Ott <randy.ott(at)gmail.com (randy.ott(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

That is going to be a hard sell.   Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ...No.
New owner ..... No.
Auto mechanic ...... on aircraft?  They will run faster than the plane flys.
 Its a pretty bird ..... but I don’t think it is manageable.
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Just as an FYI, this was the plane originally built by Bill Schertz and is a very beautiful build.  Check it out.  Very attractive price.
Bob Reed

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 10:51:52 AM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Bill, my drawback comment was only directed at the salability aspect and not the fly ability or quality of your build. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 10:52 PM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Actually the operating experience with most of the people that have put Mazda Rotary Engines in planes has been quite good. This failure that required a rebuild was unusual, but things do happen.

That said, You could literally unbolt the engine mount and the mounting locations used for this installation are the same as for a Lycoming.
It is less salable with a rotary than with a Lycoming, but it was a challenge and fun to make it work and build the plane and installation.
Bill Schertz
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:34 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:59 PM, Randy Ott <randy.ott(at)gmail.com (randy.ott(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

That is going to be a hard sell. Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ...No.
New owner ..... No.
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:35 AM, Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Bob Reed

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 10:51:52 AM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

aeromomentum(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

While I am not a fan of the Wankel engine for a few reasons including thermodynamic efficiency and low inherent rotational moment of inertia and I know nothing about that specific installation but the installation and aircraft look good so I think it is worth a look. I also would like to disclose that I my company (aeromomentum.com) makes non Wankel auto conversion engines.

Keep in mind that the original factory KIS Cruiser with a factory new Lycoming O-360 suffered a catastrophic engine failure at about 150 hours. The rod went through the side of the case and the engine was totaled. The plane landed in a wet field and flipped over causing very substantial damage. So in this direct comparison, the used Wankel did far better than the brand new Lycoming. My TR-1 was originally equipped with a used Lycoming O-235 and it needed rebuilding within 250 hours due to low compression.

There is actually a community of Wankel builders and pilots and I am sure they can help with finding mechanics. Lots of speed shops will work on the engine if it is removed for major work. There are lots of A&P's that will do the annual on an EAB with any engine as long as there are recommenced procedures. Many EAB aircraft like Sonex and Zenith mostly have non "aviation" engines and they do not seem to have an issue finding mechanics.

I am also not a fan of playing with hard to start IO-360's, carburetors, manual mixture control, magnetos, air cooling, expensive Lycoming parts, etc. All of this is unreliable old technology compared to modern cars. Yes it was better than cars in the 1940's and cars from back then were very unreliable and short lived compared to today. But today, Lycoming is obsolete and not nearly as reliable as modern cars.

If someone is interested in N343BS but the Wankel is a big problem for them keep in mind that the kit was $35K+ 20 years ago and this one has well over $15K of avionics and additional parts. Plus it is built and the build is nice. So $45K is a fantastic deal for a well built airframe even if it did not have an engine. There are many Lycomings available new and used. I have one for sale that is set up prefect for the TR4 for $9700 including the correct Sensenich prop.

Mark Kettering

Quote:

Bob Reed

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

BobNo problem, I recognized the effect on selling when I built it. 
What is the status of your plane?
Bill 
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:02 AM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Bill, my drawback comment was only directed at the salability aspect and not the fly ability or quality of your build. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 10:52 PM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Actually the operating experience with most of the people that have put Mazda Rotary Engines in planes has been quite good. This failure that required a rebuild was unusual, but things do happen.  

It is less salable with a rotary than with a Lycoming, but it was a challenge and fun to make it work and build the plane and installation.
Bill Schertz

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

That is going to be a hard sell.   Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ...No.
New owner ..... No.
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Just as an FYI, this was the plane originally built by Bill Schertz and is a very beautiful build.  Check it out.  Very attractive price.
Bob Reed

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Thirty two hours into testing but stalled out on combination of weather and building my new house. Still working part time and trying to do all cabinets and woodwork in a new house two hundred miles away is taking everything I have to give. Starting today on four weeks of 12 hour 7 days a week push to get finished.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 14, 2020, at 9:02 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Bill
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:02 AM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 10:52 PM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Actually the operating experience with most of the people that have put Mazda Rotary Engines in planes has been quite good. This failure that required a rebuild was unusual, but things do happen.

It is less salable with a rotary than with a Lycoming, but it was a challenge and fun to make it work and build the plane and installation.
Bill Schertz

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

New owner ..... No.
Its a pretty bird ..... but I don’t think it is manageable.
Hate to be a downer... but with that engine and reduction drive and overhaul after a hundred hours cries out WARNING WILL ROBINSON!
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Bob Reed

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Wow, interesting schedule! Where are you building?

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Thirty two hours into testing but stalled out on combination of weather and building my new house. Still working part time and trying to do all cabinets and woodwork in a new house two hundred miles away is taking everything I have to give. Starting today on four weeks of 12 hour 7 days a week push to get finished. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 14, 2020, at 9:02 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bill 

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Bill Schertz

Quote:

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

New owner ..... No.
Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Bob Reed

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Building in Elkins Lake community just south of Huntsville Tx. It's a part of the Sam Houston National Forest and very heavily wooded. There are three lakes, 27 holes of golf, tennis, swimming, and extensive walking trails. The community was designed to give the wildlife access throughout with deer runs in, and around the area. My lot backs up to a two and 1/2 acre deer run that is a favorite of the local herd. I also have a small creek (ravine) running through the middle of my lot and have constructed my house on just one side of the lot. (12,000 sq.ft. lot) The deer are constantly passing through the area. Looked up from working on some cabinets the other day and had several outside my window watching me. I counted 15 of them that morning.
Only problem for me now is that I have been on the waiting list for a hangar at the local airport for more than three years and still waiting. (Just to keep the thread on topic.)
Bob

On Thursday, May 14, 2020, 11:30:56 AM CDT, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Thirty two hours into testing but stalled out on combination of weather and building my new house. Still working part time and trying to do all cabinets and woodwork in a new house two hundred miles away is taking everything I have to give. Starting today on four weeks of 12 hour 7 days a week push to get finished. Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
On May 14, 2020, at 9:02 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:BobNo problem, I recognized the effect on selling when I built it. 
Bill

Quote:
Bill, my drawback comment was only directed at the salability aspect and not the fly ability or quality of your build. Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 10:52 PM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:Actually the operating experience with most of the people that have put Mazda Rotary Engines in planes has been quite good. This failure that required a rebuild was unusual, but things do happen.

Bill Schertz

Quote:
The Mazda engine is a drawback but at the price it would still be a good deal for an engine swap with say a Superior IO-360. Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
On May 13, 2020, at 9:59 PM, Randy Ott <randy.ott(at)gmail.com (randy.ott(at)gmail.com)> wrote:That is going to be a hard sell. Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!Original owner ...No.
New owner ..... No.
A&P Aircraft mechanic ....No
Randy
Sent from my iPad
Quote:

Bob Reed

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: KIS4 N343BS For Sale Reply with quote

Hello Bill,

How are you keeping, I remember meeting you in Oshkosh in 98, always grateful for the list you ran back then, don’t think I would have managed without it.

Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of William Schertz
Sent: May 14, 2020 9:28 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: KIS4 N343BS For Sale

Quote:

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

On May 14, 2020, at 9:02 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bob
No problem, I recognized the effect on selling when I built it.

Bill

Quote:

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Bill Schertz

Quote:

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

That is going to be a hard sell. Mazda engine..... who is going to work on it!
Original owner ...No.

New owner ..... No.

Randy

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Bob Reed

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: