Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

Gidday,
I have my instrument panel such that it sits on small rubber mounts, the type that is a 1/2 wide rubber mount with a flat washer either side, which have centrally located threaded 1/4” shanks out each side. These ones are pretty hard though, hard to tell if they would do much. With these in place my panel will be suspended on them, and sit somewhat on a small soft rubber pad on top of my tunnel. I am wondering if I should be bothered, whether I should ditch this idea and mount the panel to the firewall directly like I believe the instructions dictate. I’m keen on knowing what people think of attempts to isolate the high frequency vibration, whether it's worth the effort. I am going to have an electronic panel as best as I can, and my sub panels screw straight onto lugs on my panel carcass. I’ve also been advised to cut the lip off the top of the panel which I have addressed by building an inverted, internal flange, so I can do this, but other than weight saving I’m wondering if that is a common thing to do. It wouldn’t hurt to put my panel forward an extra 1/2” but it’s not an imperative, and I do already have the mounts attached to the firewall, albeit with nylocs on the engine side, to be changed for conventional nuts before I go too far and forget.
Any tips gratefully accepted.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
BobD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Whilst building, like you, I considered some of the MODS to dampen the vibrations of the Control Panel. However, I decide to follow the instructions from the original build manual, and I am glad that I did, as I have never noticed a problem in the couple of years my aircraft has been flying. Obviously some pilots have had a problem (hence the MODS), but it has been my experience that it is best to build the aircraft as designed, only making changes when experience has proved them necessary.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my panel, one showing the attachment points during the build, and one of the finished article.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sg_cockpit1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.83 KB
 Viewed:  4354 Time(s)

sg_cockpit1.jpg

panel_01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.45 KB
 Viewed:  4354 Time(s)

panel_01.jpg

dpark748(at)me.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

G-LDVO BUILT AS PER MANUAL NO RUBBER INSTALLED AND NOT HAD A PROBLEM IN 180 hours FLYING.

Dave Park
Quote:
On 23 Apr 2020, at 06:26, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Gidday,
I have my instrument panel such that it sits on small rubber mounts, the type that is a 1/2 wide rubber mount with a flat washer either side, which have centrally located threaded 1/4” shanks out each side. These ones are pretty hard though, hard to tell if they would do much. With these in place my panel will be suspended on them, and sit somewhat on a small soft rubber pad on top of my tunnel. I am wondering if I should be bothered, whether I should ditch this idea and mount the panel to the firewall directly like I believe the instructions dictate. I’m keen on knowing what people think of attempts to isolate the high frequency vibration, whether it's worth the effort. I am going to have an electronic panel as best as I can, and my sub panels screw straight onto lugs on my panel carcass. I’ve also been advised to cut the lip off the top of the panel which I have addressed by building an inverted, internal flange, so I can do this, but other than weight saving I’m w!
ondering if that is a common thing to do. It wouldn’t hurt to put my panel forward an extra 1/2” but it’s not an imperative, and I do already have the mounts attached to the firewall, albeit with nylocs on the engine side, to be changed for conventional nuts before I go too far and forget.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

John Wighton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

Mine is hard mounted and 500+ hours, no issues. However, I do not have sub-panels which necessitates the complete removal of the panel whenever l need to work on it. This is not recommended at all unless you are Olga Corbet sized and equally gifted at cockpit gymnastics.

Modification to add 2 x sub-panels is on my bucket list.

cakeykev(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

Nearly 1000 hours no problems

Kevin Challis
G ODJG
Quote:
On 23 Apr 2020, at 06:25, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Gidday,
I have my instrument panel such that it sits on small rubber mounts, the type that is a 1/2 wide rubber mount with a flat washer either side, which have centrally located threaded 1/4” shanks out each side. These ones are pretty hard though, hard to tell if they would do much. With these in place my panel will be suspended on them, and sit somewhat on a small soft rubber pad on top of my tunnel. I am wondering if I should be bothered, whether I should ditch this idea and mount the panel to the firewall directly like I believe the instructions dictate. I’m keen on knowing what people think of attempts to isolate the high frequency vibration, whether it's worth the effort. I am going to have an electronic panel as best as I can, and my sub panels screw straight onto lugs on my panel carcass. I’ve also been advised to cut the lip off the top of the panel which I have addressed by building an inverted, internal flange, so I can do this, but other than weight saving I’m w!
ondering if that is a common thing to do. It wouldn’t hurt to put my panel forward an extra 1/2” but it’s not an imperative, and I do already have the mounts attached to the firewall, albeit with nylocs on the engine side, to be changed for conventional nuts before I go too far and forget.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Panel Advice re placement on Firewall options Reply with quote

In 20 years, I've never needed an isolation mount in a Europa. That said, if you install a 5 cylinder radial for an engine, or you operate off of a washboard for a runway, you may need some. If you can drive your wife's car on the runway without pain or suspension component failure, you'll be fine.

Today's solid state components coupled with the smooth running of the Rotax or Jab engines, and a balanced prop, pretty much makes isolation mounts a thing of the past. Back in the day of spinning gyros and 10 pound instruments I could see it.

Heating is more of a problem with a sealed plastic panel which holds in the heat like a thermos bottle. Please put in a fan or similar to pull the radiated heat from the sun out of the panel.

Today's solid state equipment draws 60 milliamps and don't create heat but the screens do get warm in some components. Especially common in the Dynon Skyview first gen. GRT and Garmin stay somewhat cool. However, a small computer fan on the bottom of the panel and one on top keeps the panel interior at cockpit temp which is good enough.

Always follow the radio manufactuer's recommendations on older salvaged radios. Most older Garmins, like the 430 need an instrument fan.

Keep the panel interface simple and easy to remove. It pays dividends later on.

As far as cables, read my technique article on my website on the throttle and choke cable etiquette. Repairing cables is not worth the cost or time. Any good bike shop can normally make a new set of cables.

Bud Yerly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: