Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

914 Battery Locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

Gidday all,
Before I put the top on I have the decision, where do I put my battery for my 914 powered beast? It seems under the parcel shelf accessed through the two seat pan panels, or right down the back just forward of the tail plane bulkhead. Could I please ask for any advice or input, and I do wish to be able to have, worst case 180 kg in the seats, and close to zero fuel in the tank, and still be in CoG, with an Airmaster prop hanging off the front.
Thanks
Regards
Tony Renshaw

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

Hi! Tony,
Went through this mill with so many suggestions it was distressing. Take my
word for what its worth. Nearest the starter is the order of the day . That
is on top of the passenger foot well, which puts you within about 12 inches
of the starter.
I had two Odessy batteries wired in parallel and used a solenoid arrangement
to power up the whole system.
Although I did have the foresight to get the uprated Rotax starter it never
took more than a dab on the starter button and none of the horrible wing
flapping so often heard on other systems. I tried your suggestion
....behind the P1 seat under the luggage bay and had zero success. In fact
I became so pissed off I disregarded all other suggestions and decided to
use my own brains and bingo. However the solenoid mustn't be left ON over
night because it drains about two amps ......and continuously over say 12
hours then it will flatten the batteries. As far as C of G issues then just
remember if you can't start the bloody engine you are going no where anyway!

Best Wishes

Bob Harrison .

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

Tony,
If CG is a concern with the 914/Airmaster combination and a heavier instrument panel is planned then the footwell installation may be a bit far forward for a AGM battery. I put my TCU in a cover on the stbd. foot well. So my battery is in the rear. CG is right at 60 inches on my trigear. Most of my planes have the battery in the rear.

Many photos of one of my installations are available but not for the forum format due to size and number. Contact me at budyerly(at)msn.com and we'll do a package of photos for you to get some ideas if you go to a battery box in the rear method.

If you use Dropbox, it is easier than normal on line attachments to send larger photo packages.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

Hello Tony,
It is a lot better to have the battery as close as possible to the starter motor. It makes starting the engine easier and saves about 1 kg of heavy copper cables. Originally (that was 20 years ago), my Monowheel had an 8kg battery installed below the bagage bay. Over the years it was replaced with a 5kg Odyssey, then a 1.2 kg Lithium Super B. This later one is installed on the passenger footwell. My empty CoG is at 57.56" (that includes a spare outrigger leg and a spare tube stored in the back of the fuselage). In your worst case, 180kg in the seats and no bagage, I would need to have at least 35 liters remaining in the tank to stay on the safe side the CoG fwd limit. I had many occasions to fly at the forward limit and I can say the aircraft flies very well in this configuration.
My advice is: choose a lightweight lithium battery and install it close to the engine.
Regards
Remi

gilles(at)elixir-aircraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

Le 12/04/2020 à 12:33, Tony Renshaw a écrit :

Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com> (tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.com)

Gidday all,
Before I put the top on I have the decision, where do I put my battery for my 914 powered beast? It seems under the parcel shelf accessed through the two seat pan panels, or right down the back just forward of the tail plane bulkhead. Could I please ask for any advice or input, and I do wish to be able to have, worst case 180 kg in the seats, and close to zero fuel in the tank, and still be in CoG, with an Airmaster prop hanging off the front.

Quote:

Hi Tony,

The battery location is commanded by CoG considerations.
There is no problems having the battery(ies) in the back, and no problem starting, provided you use the proper wire gauge.
The Rotax are happy with AWG 6 for short to medium lengths, and AWG 4 when batteries are far in the back.

Our 914 4-seater (= not an Europa^^!) has the starting battery in the back to achieve correct CoG, and we never had any starting problems. The same applies to every airplane I happen to wire.

We are using one small 7 Ah, 2.7 kg SBS8 Hawker RG battery in the back.

Starting problems are usually related to wiring issues.
FWIW.

--
Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr
http://lapierre.skunkworks.free.fr

tennant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Battery Locations Reply with quote

I had a heavy MT prop and 2 x batteries (8 kg) in parallel on the footwell. I had to put 2 kg of ballast at the tail. Recently changed to one Lipo on the footwell and took out nearly all of the ballast!! Magic!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: