Centering ULTRASTAR help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

That is not an Ultrastar, it's one version of a Firestar. I can't tell any more without looking at the wings.

Bill Sullivan

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 01:23:26 PM EDT, Eric SOULET <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr> wrote:

#yiv0434913434 #yiv0434913434 -- filtered {}#yiv0434913434 filtered {}#yiv0434913434 p.yiv0434913434MsoNormal, #yiv0434913434 li.yiv0434913434MsoNormal, #yiv0434913434 div.yiv0434913434MsoNormal {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv0434913434 a:link, #yiv0434913434 span.yiv0434913434MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0434913434 a:visited, #yiv0434913434 span.yiv0434913434MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0434913434 span.yiv0434913434EmailStyle17 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv0434913434 span.yiv0434913434EmailStyle18 {font-family:sans-serif;color:#1F497D;}#yiv0434913434 span.yiv0434913434EmailStyle19 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv0434913434 .yiv0434913434MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;}#yiv0434913434 filtered {}#yiv0434913434 div.yiv0434913434WordSection1 {}#yiv0434913434
Hello,
I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully
The centering is at 29%.
I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.
On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.
Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Soussou

Joined: 29 Mar 2020

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Hello,
I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully
The centering is at 29%.
I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.
On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.
Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET from France

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

IMG_20200329_120438_resized_20200329_070802480.jpg
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  9943 Time(s)

IMG_20200329_120438_resized_20200329_070802480.jpg

jaydub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Most all ultralight and very light sport planes you can't land like a normal airplane, at idle. Im guessing that you are trying to fly this like a bigger airplane. They don't have the mass to flare without stalling higher than you want. If you are at idle you will run out of elevator before you can fully flare because your airspeed will drop off quickly when you try to flare. You will have to carry power to the ground. This is somewhat typical of ultralight and light sport aircraft and many GA pilots don't understand that these fly differently.

Jay

------------------------------------

I am responsible for the idea behind this message. Unfortunately, the email you received may be substantially different from that idea due to my iDroid's autocorrect feature!

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:36 PM -0600, "Eric SOULET" <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr (eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr)> wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Hello,
I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully
The centering is at 29%.
I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.
On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.
Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01D605FE.339FA1A0[/img]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Pfatchantz(at)protonmail.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

High boom tube says Ultrastar... Looks like the translation to english is a bit faulty...Herb

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:30 PM, william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:
That is not an Ultrastar, it's one version of a Firestar. I can't tell any more without looking at the wings.

Bill Sullivan

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 01:23:26 PM EDT, Eric SOULET <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr> wrote:
Hello,

I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully

The centering is at 29%.

I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.

On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.

Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Pfatchantz(at)protonmail.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

too..this ultrastar has nose wheel which is a mod...Why dangerous? With nose wheel and extra weight, I can see an unusual stall ...Herb

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:18 PM, Eric SOULET <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr> wrote:

Quote:

Hello,

I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully

The centering is at 29%.

I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.

On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.

Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
mojavjoe

Joined: 23 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

I suggest you cover the wing gap.
Quote:
On March 29, 2020 at 4:12 PM Eric SOULET <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr> wrote:

Hello,
I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully
The centering is at 29%.
I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.
On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.
Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET from France

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

William, I had to load the picture into my photo editor to see what Eric's
airplane really is. It is an Ultrastar all right, the boom comes from the
wing junction with the engine below, but someone tacked a nose gear onto it

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Eric,  What you have is someone's own ideas plastered on to something that looks like an Ultrastar.  The biggest problem, concern, whatever, is the nose wheel.  Second is the way your elevators are hanging from the horizontal stabilizer.  You've got a real mess here.As for landing, the best advice I can give you is what I was given when I got my Mk III 14 years ago.  Don't try to come in at idle, fly it on until you're used to how it lands.  I made a video of landing the MK III you can find on Youtube at rick51076.  It was intended for people transitioning from GA aircraft to the Kolb and dealt mostly with the difference using flaps make.
Good luck, stay healthy, and blur skies,
Rick
Virus-free. www.avg.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
williamtsullivan(at)att.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Huh. Thanks. I couldn't see that. Weird.

do not archive

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 01:23:26 PM EDT, Eric SOULET <eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr (eric.soulet(at)diag-dechets.fr)> wrote:

Hello,
I have an Ultrastar Kolb which is strongly punctual despite the trim fully
The centering is at 29%.
I have to modify the incidence of the stabilizer.
On langing engine idling it even becomes dangerous.
Do you have any advice!

Cordialement

Eric SOULET

-- “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.” Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Eric sent me a email off list.  French English translator gave me this.

Thank you for your interest in my message. I have 2 Ultrastar 1 purple and 1 blue. Purple flies very well see on YouTube: https://youtu.be/5ulWECN9dmA, it has a stabilizer incidence adjustment: see purple stab. The blue is very pungent after the first flight I changed the incidence of the stabilizer: see blue stab. On the second flight of the blue, less but still stinging, see position of the depth trim: blue trim. So I checked the centering which is good 29%, see centering. I don’t know if I’m focusing further back or changing the angle of the stabilizer again.

Boyd Young

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Doing a lot of reading between the lines here but my take is that the blue one is having pitch issues. If the 29% is a reference to the center of gravity being at 29% of wing cord, my guess is that his CG is too far forward. Probably due to the nose wheel?

If this is correct, I can see him running out of elevator in a flair and wheel borrowing the nose gear on landing.

Did I miss something?

Stuart

Eric sent me a email off list. French English translator gave me this.

Thank you for your interest in my message. I have 2 Ultrastar 1 purple and 1 blue. Purple flies very well see on YouTube: https://youtu.be/5ulWECN9dmA, it has a stabilizer incidence adjustment: see purple stab. The blue is very pungent after the first flight I changed the incidence of the stabilizer: see blue stab. On the second flight of the blue, less but still stinging, see position of the depth trim: blue trim. So I checked the centering which is good 29%, see centering. I don’t know if I’m focusing further back or changing the angle of the stabilizer again.

Boyd Young

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Richard Pike

Location: Blountville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

In the video that was linked - https://youtu.be/5ulWECN9dmA - It is hard to tell from the video, but it appears that there is a very high ground speed before lifting off. It is also apparent that there is no gap seal. If the cg is at 29% and there is no gap seal, I am surprised that there is enough elevator authority to be able to land it at any speed.
Friend Eric; install a gap seal over the center section of the wings and get rid of some of the weight in the front of the airplane.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
smedley

Joined: 04 Feb 2020
Location: Hatfield PA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

I remember when flying in the 80's and 90's they said at Kolb not to fly it without the gap seal. Apparently it does make a difference. Has anyone tried it? What was the resulting effect?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

Location: Blountville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Years ago my friend Carl had the fabric center section gap seal come loose on his Firestar just as he lifted off, he was a good pilot but it about ate him alive.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

The first few flights I made with the PFH (Plane From Hell), a Mk IIIX were with a completely ineffective structure that claimed to be a gap seal.  The plane had lawn dart issues and scared the **** out of me.  I made a good gap seal and many of the issues went away but the main thing that happened was that the climb rate DOUBLED!!!  Think about it, without a gap seal you're flying a biplane with parallel wings, i.e. twice as many wingtip vortices. If you figure that the regular wingtip vortices reduce the lift area of the wing by 20% doubling that reduces your wing efficiency to less than 60% (figuring that the inboard wingtips at the center section are also reducing prop efficiency, too.While it's not an issue on the Ultrastar, The PFH also didn't have the center frame covered.  Covering it also added to the wings efficiency.  Having both seals and adding trim tabs to the elevator finally solved the lawn dart issues and the plane flew with just finger tips on the stick.
Bottom line, NO, I wouldn't fly any Kolb without a gap seal ever again what with the toilet paper shortage. :-}
Rick
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 9:41 AM Edward Bonsell <smedley945(at)gmail.com (smedley945(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I remember when flying in the 80's and 90's they said at Kolb not to fly it without the gap seal. Apparently it does make a difference. Has anyone tried it? What was the resulting effect?

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
olendorf

Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Location: Schenectady, NY USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Centering ULTRASTAR help! Reply with quote

Several years ago my gap seal with the zipper style fabric ripped so I decided to fly without one. I remember (vaguely) my take off speed increased from 30 to 42. My stall speed increased to about 40. My top speed decreased to about 50. I ran the pattern at 90% power and landed it hot. I'll never do that again.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Scott Olendorf
Original Firestar, Rotax 447, Powerfin prop
Schenectady, NY
http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours