Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 03/04/20

johnwigney(at)windstream.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 03/04/20 Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

It takes a little time but I have rigged and derigged my plane many times by myself with the help of the following items. (However, 2 persons does make it easier.)
  1. A factory monowheel trailer.
  2. A simple movable rack on castors which holds the 2 wings. The wings are supported by fabric straps on each side of a frame; leading edge down . Photo below.
  3. 2 home made saw horses, 33 inches tall, with padded tops.

It is necessary to offload each wing from the rack onto the saw horses which are pre-positioned near the fuselage. I move the spar end first and clamp the spar to the saw horse until I am ready to rotate the wing from the vertical to the horizontal. Then the spar is swung into the fuselage and the wing is progressively slid into place. Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S.
Mooresville, North Carolina
[img]cid:part1.55BF2338.7A9C2BA5(at)windstream.net[/img]
Subject: Monowheel Wing Rigging Jig for Solo rigging - suggestions???
From: "italianjon" <jon.catilli(at)gmail.com> (jon.catilli(at)gmail.com)
Hi All,

Some of you know in the community that I'm moving house and moving quite far, as
a result I'm going not going to have my "Workshop Buddy" who helps me rig and
de-rig the aircraft during maintenance close-by anymore. So, I'll be rigging,
de-rigging and working on the aircraft alone.

I'm looking for a solution to assist me rigging and de-rigging the wings alone,
and I know there are loads and loads of different solutions out there.

Can anyone help with suggestions for, and possibly sources to purchase, a rig for
the Europa Monowheel, which could be used while the aircraft is on the trailer.
The trailer is a standard Europa Aircraft open trailer, with no modifications.

Thanks all,

Jon

chnaadeidejgdlhb.png
 Filesize:  2.55 MB
 Viewed:  1839 Time(s)

chnaadeidejgdlhb.png

Back to top
roddyeuropa(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 03/04/20 Reply with quote

I have used a similar system for many years. It consists of the standard Europa trailer, 2 homemade sawhorses, and two small wheeled dollies that the leading edge of the wing fits into at the tip end (pic below).

Dollies are made of plywood with 2 simple wheels. Leading edge fits into blue foam profiled to the leading edge. They also have eyes to attach a strap across the wing to hold them on during wing removal.

Saw horses are: one with no padding, sized for the top to be just below the spar slot in the fuselage, and one larger one, padded, to support the wing tip.

Wing removal sequence is:
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Attach dolly to first wing to come off, smaller sawhorse just below spar hole, larger one at tip.
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Remove wing 3 inches, and support tip on bigger dolly. Unclip pitot, static, stall warner connectors.
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Remove wing, holding onto wing tip until spar drops onto the smaller saw horse.
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Rotate the wing until it’s in the position shown in the photo.
You can then wheel the wing around from the spar end, and put it on the trailer.

System is very portable.

Roddy Kesterton
G-IKRK

It takes a little time but I have rigged and derigged my plane many times by myself with the help of the following items. (However, 2 persons does make it easier.)
  1. A factory monowheel trailer.
  2. A simple movable rack on castors which holds the 2 wings. The wings are supported by fabric straps on each side of a frame; leading edge down . Photo below.
  3. 2 home made saw horses, 33 inches tall, with padded tops.

It is necessary to offload each wing from the rack onto the saw horses which are pre-positioned near the fuselage. I move the spar end first and clamp the spar to the saw horse until I am ready to rotate the wing from the vertical to the horizontal. Then the spar is swung into the fuselage and the wing is progressively slid into place.
Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S.

Mooresville, North Carolina
[img]cid:image002.png(at)01D5F382.95702370[/img]
Subject: Monowheel Wing Rigging Jig for Solo rigging - suggestions???From: "italianjon" <jon.catilli(at)gmail.com> (jon.catilli(at)gmail.com) Hi All, Some of you know in the community that I'm moving house and moving quite far, asa result I'm going not going to have my "Workshop Buddy" who helps me rig andde-rig the aircraft during maintenance close-by anymore. So, I'll be rigging,de-rigging and working on the aircraft alone.From: "italianjon" <jon.catilli(at)gmail.com> (jon.catilli(at)gmail.com)
0
Quote:
From: "italianjon" <jon.catilli(at)gmail.com> (jon.catilli(at)gmail.com)