Fwd: AeroElectric-List: This doesn't seem right, but what do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Aerobatic-List
paul.zimmer00(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Fwd: AeroElectric-List: This doesn't seem right, but what do Reply with quote

See follow up response.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Paul Zimmer <paul.zimmer00(at)gmail.com (paul.zimmer00(at)gmail.com)>
Date: Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM
Subject: Fwd: AeroElectric-List: This doesn't seem right, but what do I know
To: <aerobatic-list(at)matronics.com (aerobatic-list(at)matronics.com)>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Paul Zimmer <paul.zimmer00(at)gmail.com (paul.zimmer00(at)gmail.com)>
Date: Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 11:29 AM
To: Bob Nuckolls <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)>

Follow up.  During normal cruise (following start and battery recharge after start), the bus voltage varies from ~13.7 to ~14.0V. The current flow to/from the battery varies both in and out up to a max of 9 amps out all the while battery voltage remains steady at ~13.9V. During these times of battery discharge, load was static (which is to say the load was not deliberately changed).   Any insight as to what is going on is appreciated. I have a spreadsheet with the data from this flight that was generated from my my EFIS, but which I was unable to upload as an attachment to this email.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 2:12 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
If you were using a shunt, I'd suggest checking any fuseholders used to protect the sense wires. Any minor variations in resistance in the sense lines can cause significant instrument error, showing discharge.

Charlie

On 1/28/2020 10:46 AM, Paul Zimmer wrote:

Quote:
I can’t say that I’ve noticed a bus voltage drop during these times of battery outflow, but before I say one way or the other, I’ll need to pay a little closer attention, and perhaps record the engine monitor parameters during a flight which would allow for an after the fact thorough analysis of what actually went on.  I’ll circle back at a later date.  Thanks

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:43 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
  <snip>

Quote:
These periods of flow to/from the battery are short
in duration normally lasting only a few seconds.

Is this normal and to be expected, or does it
suggest a problem with the internally regulated
alternator, or perhaps with the current sensor itself?

Any insight explaining what I am seeing will be appreciated.

  The battery's physics reacts to BUS VOLTAGE.
  Any period battery energy outflow MUST be
  paired with a drop in bus voltage to something
  below the battery's present open-circuit
  voltage.

  The voltage doesn't have to drop to
  the battery's natural delivery
  level (~12.5 volts for SVLA) . . .
  a battery across an operating bus
  will support small outflow currents
  at voltages higher than 12.5.

  What is your normal bus voltage and do
  you notice any depression of voltage
  that corresponds to battery outflow
  events?

  Bob . . .

- The Matronics Aerobatic-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Aerobatic-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Aerobatic-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours