Screws for engine top cowling

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Screws for engine top cowling Reply with quote

My aircraft was originally built as a Classic and more recently converted to Neville Eyre engine cowlings, while I continue to use the same kind of captive nuts and screws ( 23 off ) as before.

I have a considerable assortment of screwdrivers and several different styles of Phillips screwdriver tips, yet even with considerable care and not using an electric driver, it doesn't take too many re-fastenings before the slots in the screw heads become worn out.

I have two questions. Although the builder's manual describes the screws as EU 11, what is the correct part number in the LAS Aerospace catalogue, or any other source, for me to use when ordering the short screws? Which Phillips tip is the best to use with these screws?

Thanks, Jonathan

Last edited by JonathanMilbank on Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Jonathan and all,
For some reason it took months to get back on the list here. I have to admit. It was my fault. These spam defense filters are interesting. Well, so are airplanes and they are expensive in time and material to maintain just like computer servers.

Jonathan,
You will find that stainless steel machine screws of all types are fairly soft. Bits are very hard. Any slipping of the head will damage the Phillips head and make it unusable. HAVE A TON OF SPARES!

The most widely used cowl screw is the AN 507 or MS24693 stainless screws of , 5/8 and 1 inch (MS24693-C272, -C273, C274) and spares must be kept on hand. These 100 degree countersunk screws have a small head and can strip easily. These type cowl screws are a #10 screw and take a #2 Phillips head. The #8 screws take a #2 Phillips and the #6 screws take a #1 Phillips. On the web search for How to choose the right tip for screw types. There is some good stuff to learn.

To prevent stripping out of your screws, I strongly recommend a large handle ratcheting screwdriver with removable tips that fits your hand properly, is easy to rotate, and allows you to push and rotate securely. My favorite screwdrivers are my Snap-On ratcheting type and the straight handle ones are by Klien.
[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01D5E77C.8EB20510[/img]Expensive unless you get a deal on a Snap-On.

For those really lazy like me, I use an electric screwdriver, but I only use one with a friction clutch or torque setting. I have recommended the friction clutch driver to virtually all my in shop and on line clients. The electric screw driver can be of only 3 volts or as high as 8. More power means more torque, which means it will be easier to strip out a head. The torque clutch prevents over tightening for those of you who set the screw to ridiculous torques. A #10 stainless machine screw only needs 31 inch pounds to be fully tight. That is #8 position on most electric screw drivers in my experience. I use the term pinky tight.

Another important point is ergonomics. A proper sized and shaped handle will allow a good grip, proper positioning and give you a feel as well as a torque clutch to prevent driving the screw in too tight, allow you to hold the bit firmly in the screw head and prevent cross threading the screw fully into its seat. Keep a good tight quarter or stubby screw driver set and a ratcheting handle close quarter type.
[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01D5E77F.4F80C680[/img]

A stainless screw in a steel nutplate (K1000 style) will eventually wear the soft stainless out. Throw the screw away and replace it if its head is worn, the threads are galled or bent. If the nutplate is loose, simply insert a steel screw in the nutplate about two threads short of the nutplate tip and use a Vice Grip to squeeze the nutplate just a bit. If the nutplate is way to tight, run a tap in it slightly to ease the squeeze.
As fare as electric screw drivers, I have a Hitachi DB3DL2 3.6 volt screw gun now. Easy to use, can be straight or pistol grip, the drive buttons can be used single handed and the collet lock is smooth and easy to use. I buy proper locking bits (and nut drivers) of the sizes needed. My original electric screw gun was a very cheap 3 volt with a non locking collar, and it worked OK. As I used the cheapy gun more and more, I upgraded to a locking collet. Good tools are indispensable.
[img]cid:image007.jpg(at)01D5E77F.4F80C680[/img]
It is essential that you keep a list of spares. Screws are like oil and gas as far as Im concerned, consumables.
Clients have noted I have a spare screw, rivet, nut, bolt, wheel bearing, pitot tips, clamps, hoses, tubes and tires so I am not stuck looking for stuff when I needed it. If it is a screw on my plane, panel, or wheel pant, I have a spare in the shop and for those frequently dropped, lost or specialized, I keep it in my cockpit tool kit spares. I have a list for my expendables on my website and drawers full of stuff in the shop for each screw, washer, nut, etc. On my annual, if a screw is questionable, corroded, or compromised, I throw it out.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--> Europa-List message posted by: "JonathanMilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk>

My aircraft was originally built as a Classic and more recently converted to Neville Eyre engine cowlings, while I continue to use the same kind of captive nuts and screws ( 23 off ) as before.

I have a considerable assortment of screwdrivers and several different styles of Phillips screwdriver tips, yet even with considerable care and not using an electric driver, it doesn't take too many re-fastenings before the slots in the screw heads become worn out.

I have two questions. Although the builder's manual describes the screws as EU 11, what is the correct part number in the LAS Aerospace catalogue, or any other source, for me to use when ordering the short screws? Which Phillips tip is the best to use with these screws?

Thanks, Jonathan

===========
Month --
Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
r> http://www.matronics.com/contribution
p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

0FC1600E8BAC455D8801E73E20D44C10.jpg
 Filesize:  3.69 KB
 Viewed:  7209 Time(s)

0FC1600E8BAC455D8801E73E20D44C10.jpg

7C5EFFF5131A4A63B8000680CBC187BC.jpg
 Filesize:  5.48 KB
 Viewed:  7209 Time(s)

7C5EFFF5131A4A63B8000680CBC187BC.jpg

2D4A1DA675124DBE89CFD4E08BA1A587.jpg
 Filesize:  8.98 KB
 Viewed:  7209 Time(s)

2D4A1DA675124DBE89CFD4E08BA1A587.jpg

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Wow, what a fulsome reply, thanks Bud! Your reports on various aircraft type flight characteristics, which you have test flown, must also have been pretty comprehensive.

Anyhow you've given me plenty of food for thought and I'll take it all to heart; especially keeping plenty of spare screws and regarding them as consumables. The suggestions on appropriate tools and how to use them properly is equally appreciated.

Note to self: "Ignore my maternal Scottish heritage and desist from trying to extract maximum value from things before discarding them!"

And thanks also for replying so quickly.

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Ive been wondering if there is an alternative to the phillips heads.   I use hex sockets #10-32 on my belly plates and everywhere else precisely for the stripping issue.   So much easier if not quite as aerodynamic.

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 22:55 Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Jonathan and all,
For some reason it took months to get back on the list here.  I have to admit.  It was my fault.  These spam defense filters are interesting.  Well, so are airplanes and they are expensive in time and material to maintain just like computer servers.

Jonathan,
You will find that stainless steel machine screws of all types are fairly soft.  Bits are very hard.  Any slipping of the head will damage the Phillips head and make it unusable.  HAVE A TON OF SPARES!

The most widely used cowl screw is the AN 507 or MS24693 stainless screws of ½, 5/8 and 1 inch (MS24693-C272, -C273, C274) and spares must be kept on hand.  These 100 degree countersunk screws have a small head and can strip easily.  These type cowl screws are a #10 screw and take a #2 Phillips head.  The #8 screws take a #2 Phillips and the #6 screws take a #1 Phillips.  On the web search for “How to choose the right tip for screw types”.  There is some good stuff to learn.

[...]

--> Europa-List message posted by: "JonathanMilbank" <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk (jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk)>

[...]

 Viewed:  7186 Time(s)

2D4A1DA675124DBE89CFD4E08BA1A587.jpg

7C5EFFF5131A4A63B8000680CBC187BC.jpg
 Filesize:  5.48 KB
 Viewed:  7186 Time(s)

7C5EFFF5131A4A63B8000680CBC187BC.jpg

0FC1600E8BAC455D8801E73E20D44C10.jpg
 Filesize:  3.69 KB
 Viewed:  7186 Time(s)

0FC1600E8BAC455D8801E73E20D44C10.jpg

2D4A1DA675124DBE89CFD4E08BA1A587.jpg
 Filesize:  8.98 KB
 Viewed:  7186 Time(s)

2D4A1DA675124DBE89CFD4E08BA1A587.jpg

Back to top
budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

There are some. Research the screw manufacturers. You need a #10, 100 degree countersink with a flat head.

Happy web browsing.

Bud

Get Outlook for Android

[...]

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Hi All,

We also had problems with Phillips head screws becoming worn. We have changed to 100 deg stainless steel Torx head screws. We purchase them from MicroFasteners.

Here is the webpage: https://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=620

We use a small amount of BoeLube to handle the possible galling due to different metals.

Jim & Heather

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Heather,

The Torx headed screws seem to be the answer to my prayers, so I've looked at the Microfasteners link which you gave. Could you confirm whether the threads of the Torx screws match the threads on the MS24693 screws which I use at present?

There isn't any UK supplier of the Torx headed screws which I can find on the internet, so it would be good to get some reassurance before I place a foreign order with Microfasteners.

Thanks,
Jonathan

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

You may want to consider using Southco quarter turn fasteners. They are available in both slotted and Phillips head. I also installed a hinge along the side of the cowl with removable hinge pin, in lieu of fasteners. This makes for a cowl that is quick and easy to remove.

I believe there is a Europa Club mod for the fasteners. I chose to go with one size of fastener -260 even though the thickness of the cowl and firewall flange vary. I simply padded out the back of the receptacle to accommodate the one fastener length.

Erich Trombley
N28ET
Classic mono 914

Urologist Tells Men To "Fix" Their ED With This New Trick!
Med Journal
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5e4f4d96488474d901af4st03vuc

image0.jpeg
 Filesize:  748.81 KB
 Viewed:  7156 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Filesize:  590.47 KB
 Viewed:  7156 Time(s)

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
 Filesize:  391.14 KB
 Viewed:  7156 Time(s)

image3.jpeg

Back to top
h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Screws for top engine cowling Reply with quote

Jonathan,

Yes, MS24963 are what we call fine thread, actually 10-32 (diameter is #10, 32 threads per inch). MicroFastner FCMXS1112 are also 10-32. The 100 deg head makes these difficult to find.

Jim & Heather

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Screws for engine top cowling Reply with quote

Good morning Jim and Heather.

I've sent you a pm. Thanks.

Jonathan

jglazener

Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Location: Schoonhoven, Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Screws for engine top cowling Reply with quote

I have also used quarter turn fasteners, in this case from MilSpec products

https://milspecproducts.com/products

They have two versions- the 2000 and 4000 series. On their advice I got the 4000. These are of warfighting standard, they can easily hold an Apache together. You will certainly not have any problems wearing out the heads, these are TOUGH. In retrospect the 2000 would probably have been fine too- slightly cheaper and smaller.
The big advantage is that the recepticles are adjustable. You screw in the fasteners to the right depth, pull out a small pin and you're done.
Can't imagine having to screw and unscrew the cowlings every time, losing and replacing dud screws. Raimo Toivu, who originally recommended the fasteners to me, doesn't even have water and oil hatches because the cowlings come off and on so easily.

Jeroen

http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=44165