Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A basic butt splice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcone1381

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: A basic butt splice Reply with quote

I’m planning my first basic electrical application on my experimental kit....the headset jacks. One 20awg wire will run to the two jacks then split

Please confirm ...in order to split a 20wag wire into two separate 20awg wires using PODG crimp connectors a single blue 14-16awg butt splice would receive the two 20awg wires on one end and a single 20awg on the other crimped end maybe with a second very short 20awg wire added because the space in the blue butt connector is a size too large.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: A basic butt splice Reply with quote

At 01:31 PM 2/16/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bcone1381" <bcone1964(at)gmail.com>

I’m planning my first basic electrical application on my experimental kit....the headset jacks. One 20awg wire will run to the two jacks then split

Please confirm ...in order to split a 20wag wire into two separate 20awg wires using PODG crimp connectors a single blue 14-16awg butt splice would receive the two 20awg wires on one end and a single 20awg on the other crimped end maybe with a second very short 20awg wire added because the space in the blue butt connector is a size too large.

Two 20AWG Tefzel wires will fit nicely into
a RED PIDG splice . . .

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20200216154155.02cf4978(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

. . . with your single 20AWG going into the other end.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

46f345d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.63 KB
 Viewed:  3171 Time(s)

46f345d.jpg

bcone1381

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A basic butt splice Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!!

I understand...Two 20 AWG wires fit into a red crimp connector.

Is there any standardized chart or method we might call a BEST PRACTICE to calculate how many wires or certain sized in each size PIDG connector?

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: A basic butt splice Reply with quote

At 09:06 PM 2/16/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bcone1381" <bcone1964(at)gmail.com>

Thanks Bob!!

I understand...Two 20 AWG wires fit into a red crimp connector.

Is there any standardized chart or method we might call a BEST PRACTICE to calculate how many wires or certain sized in each size PIDG connector?

Not that I'm aware of. The idea is to fill the
barrel with enough copper that you get a
gas-tight joint when the tool is applied.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/CrimpTools/crimptools.html

you probably can't put too much wire into
the terminal. The biggest risk is too little
wire such that the crimp doesn't completely
close down on all the stranding. When in
doubt about too little, strip 2x for length
of exposed strands, double them back before
inserting.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: