Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade 912UL to 912ULS possible advisable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnFrance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Upgrade 912UL to 912ULS possible advisable? Reply with quote

Good afternoon,
This is my first post on the Rotax forum so hello to everyone.

I have an old (20 years) 912 UL with 500 hours total which I am looking to get rebuilt to 100 hp ULS spec with soft start. I have had a quote from a professional Rotax reconditioning outfit, in fact, it was their idea to do it this way rather than upgrading to a new engine.

After a bit of searching in the Rotax parts catalogue I see the crankshaft on the UL and the ULS don’t have the same serial number, however they do have the same big end bearings so the dimensions are obviously the same. The 914 has the same crankshaft as the UL so it can manage the horsepower.

The camshafts are slightly different, again they have a 3° offset on when the valves are actuated, again the 914 is the same as the UL so it would seem the power output is not a problem.

The proposed upgrade consists of boring out and relining my cylinders, fitting new pistons, carburettor jet change plus all the usual tasks during a rebuild such as changing the reduction gearbox to ULS spec. It is already fitted with the overload clutch.

I am tempted to go ahead as I don’t think there is a structural problem making the upgrade. Does anyone have any experience or arguments for or against for such an upgrade?

Best,

John

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

SPURPURA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade 912UL to 912ULS possible advisable? Reply with quote

They don’t bore out the cylinders, they’re replaced with the 84mm cylinders and pistons. Edge Performance sells a conversion package and would surely advise you.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SPURPURA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade 912UL to 912ULS possible advisable? Reply with quote

They don’t bore out the cylinders, they’re replaced with the 84mm cylinders and pistons. Edge Performance sells a conversion package and would surely advise you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: