Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Molex Connector For SL-15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Molex Connector For SL-15 Reply with quote

Greetings,

Can someone please help me do the following:

-Identify the proper Molex crimp on connector to go into the tray of my SL-15?

-Give advice on how to easily remove the Molex connectors from the SL-15 tray…The tray is kinda deep and it would be difficult to reach into the tray cavity with the removal tool and it kinda looks like the connector body can be removed from the tray…

BACK STORY:

Some of you might remember that I was trying to find out why the entertainment input of my SL-15 was not working.

Well it seems that the avionics shop that I used to build the wire harness for my avionics system did not wire it up…and now I have to remove the avionics tray and install the wires…Grrrrr.

It is not exactly their fault…the SL-15 has a pretty stupid system where it has two “entertainment” inputs…with ENT 1 being only available for the pilot stations and ENT 2 being only available only for the passenger stations…If everybody wants to listen to the same music the SL-15 installation manual has a blurb that states:

“Entertainment inputs #1 and #2 can be paralleled so a single entertainment source can
serve both the passengers and the crew. It is suggested however, that a switch (DPDT) is
installed between the single entertainment device and entertainment input #1. This will
allow the pilot and copilot to decide if they hear entertainment while in the Crew mode”

The avionics shop wired the input jack to ENT 2 and wired the Dynon annunciations to ENT 1 and with this setup when I plugged in the music to the input jack the music would only play to the passengers and the two pilots would only be able to listen to the Dynon annunciations…how entertaining…

So now I have to remove some Molex connectors and insert some wires and connectors so I can listen to my music…

THANKS!!!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Molex Connector For SL-15 Reply with quote

Per the SL-15 installation manual:

"If the installation replaces a KMA-24 (series -01, -02 or -03), the existing 44-pinconnector can be used for the bottom connector of the SL15 tray as is, providing it isproperly installed and wired.”

So, usual King-type Molex edge connector. Obsoleted and EOM a long time ago, but pins still available at high cost on eBay and other sources.

On Feb 6, 2020, at 6:54 PM, <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings,

-Give advice on how to easily remove the Molex connectors from the SL-15 tray…The tray is kinda deep and it would be difficult to reach into the tray cavity with the removal tool and it kinda looks like the connector body can be removed from the tray…

BACK STORY:

Some of you might remember that I was trying to find out why the entertainment input of my SL-15 was not working.

Well it seems that the avionics shop that I used to build the wire harness for my avionics system did not wire it up…and now I have to remove the avionics tray and install the wires…Grrrrr.

It is not exactly their fault…the SL-15 has a pretty stupid system where it has two “entertainment” inputs…with ENT 1 being only available for the pilot stations and ENT 2 being only available only for the passenger stations…If everybody wants to listen to the same music the SL-15 installation manual has a blurb that states:

“Entertainment inputs #1 and #2 can be paralleled so a single entertainment source can
serve both the passengers and the crew. It is suggested however, that a switch (DPDT) is
installed between the single entertainment device and entertainment input #1. This will
allow the pilot and copilot to decide if they hear entertainment while in the Crew mode”

The avionics shop wired the input jack to ENT 2 and wired the Dynon annunciations to ENT 1 and with this setup when I plugged in the music to the input jack the music would only play to the passengers and the two pilots would only be able to listen to the Dynon annunciations…how entertaining…

So now I have to remove some Molex connectors and insert some wires and connectors so I can listen to my music…

THANKS!!!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Molex Connector For SL-15 Reply with quote

I’m sorry - and to answer the second part of your question, the black plastic connector shell fits to the chassis tray with a screw at each end. Depending on geometry, you would probably want to disassemble the stack (remove all radios and equipment, and loosen all the trays so you can pull them forward), in order to get to the wiring. If you release the connector at the back of the tray, it’s unlikely you’ll have enough slack cable to bring the connector forward, and trying to insert and remove pins reaching around the back of the stack will prove difficult.

On Feb 6, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com> wrote:

Per the SL-15 installation manual:

"If the installation replaces a KMA-24 (series -01, -02 or -03), the existing 44-pinconnector can be used for the bottom connector of the SL15 tray as is, providing it isproperly installed and wired.”

So, usual King-type Molex edge connector. Obsoleted and EOM a long time ago, but pins still available at high cost on eBay and other sources.

On Feb 6, 2020, at 6:54 PM, <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings,

BACK STORY:

THANKS!!!

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Molex Connector For SL-15 Reply with quote

Does anyone know what Molex female connector is used in the SL15 tray? 

Thanks,

Bill Hunter

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020, 16:54 <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Greetings,

BACK STORY:

THANKS!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: