Strobes

stranfaer(at)btinternet.c
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Strobes Reply with quote

Micro Avionics. Is the one

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 23 Jan 2020, at 11:41, Mike Wylde <mike(at)wylde.me.uk> wrote:

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, now my first post looking for advice please.I've recently bought a nearly finished (yes, it is, really!) XS trigear with a 912ULS.
I'd like to fit strobes on top and bottom of the fus. Clearly each needs a hemispherical (or doughnut) light pattern, but I want streamlined teardrops, not round beacons. I can find 3 possibles.
Only one is LED. That's the Kuntzleman (badged Skyflash in the UK by Airworld/Sandalwood). https://www.kestrobes.com/all-led-systems/ Looking at the distribution of LEDs in it, I suspect a lot of the flash would go vertically and the important doughnut distribution would be less bright. Of course it's really meant for wingtip mounting. Anyone tried it please?
Second possibility is the Kuntzleman /Skyflash discharge tube type. I reckon that will give a better distribution as the tube is exposed and non directional. https://www.kestrobes.com/double-dual-magnum/ Anyone know how many joules it is per flash please? I've asked but Mr K wouldn't give me a number.
Third possibility is the similar MicroAvionics discharge tube type (UK produced). Like the Kuntzleman it gives you a double flash alternating. Each individual flash is 25 joules i.e 50 joules per double flash cycle per lamp. It's pretty bright, I suspect the K is lower power. https://www.microavionics.com/twin-head-high-power-strobe.html
I would have preferred LED but I think it may be less effective.
The K flash tube one has the slight advantage of being a LAA standard mod needing no further approval.
The MicroAvionics may be the best, I've used one, I'm impressed with its output, but it means getting approval.
I'm in a quandary! All advice and experience gratefully received, apologies for the rather long post.
Mike

europaul383(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Strobes Reply with quote

Hello Mike,
I'd recommend Aveo strobes - LED and no separate strobe power box needed.
https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-experimental-ul-kits-and-gliders/
I have the Minimax on the fin and I guess it would work as well on top and bottom of the fuse.
https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-experimental-ul-kits-and-gliders/minimax-ariel/
HTH,
Paul M
G-PLPM
Permit to test received!

[...]

BobD

Location: Sheffield UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Strobes Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Like you, I bought an almost complete XS with 912ULS engine. It only took me another three years to complete it ! Much of the delay was due to a complete re-design of a glass cockpit.

I personally prefer wingtip strobes to the fuselage top/bottom type, but I was fortunate in that the original builder had run wires through the wing for navigation lights, so the installation was very straightforward. I used the Aveo Powerburst teardrop strobes, and piggybacked an existing LAA mod for the installation. My LAA MOD is No. 13808. Unfortunately, after a while one of the strobes failed, and it took a while to get the replacement from the factory, this not being a UK product.

At the LAA Rally last year, I looked at, and was impressed with the strobes from Smooth Aviation
https://www.smoothaviation.com/product-category/lighting/aircraft-lighting/strobe/).
These are UK suppliers

The advantage of both of these type of Strobes is that a separate controller is not needed, thereby saving some weight. On these strobes, it is possible to synchronise them by connecting a 4th wire together, but I didn't bother doing this on my aircraft.

Quote:

From: Mike Wylde <mike>
Date: 23/01/2020 12:43 (GMT+01:00)
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

I'm in a quandary! All advice and experience gratefully received, apologies for the rather long post.
Mike

Bob Dawson
Europa XS TG || 912 ULS || G-NHRJ || Dynon Skyview || PilotAware || SmartAss3
europaul383(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Strobes Reply with quote

My last attempt was mangled by Android... try again:
Hello Mike,

I'd recommend Aveo strobes - LED and no separate strobe power box needed.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-experimental-ul-kits-and-gliders/

I have the Minimax on the fin and I guess it would work as well on top and bottom of the fuse.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-experimental-ul-kits-and-gliders/minimax-ariel/

HTH,

Paul M
G-PLPM Permit to test received!