Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bpaulk(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I was wondering how many others on this list are having trouble receiving their emails by a server other than G-Mail. Comcast has been intermittent and I am now not receiving them at all.  I have spent several hours on the phone and had several case numbers assigned to no avail. Matt recommended G-mail and I have not had any problems since changing over but would like to keep it all in one server. I am not sure that Comcast even delivered this notice back to this list.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Bobby

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

Bobby,
I ran mailing list servers similar to what the AeroElectric list uses for over 30 years. The problem is that the Matronics server is incorrectly handling the SMTP headers. It is using a technique which was OK a decade ago but is now considered to be spoofing (a polite way of saying "forging") the identity of the sender. Because of this, most email systems consider messages coming from the AeroElectric list to be spam. 
This is what a message looks like in Gmail:
[img]cid:ii_k59mj3gg0[/img]

At least Gmail delivers the messages (most of the time). Comcast is probably dumping them into the spam bucket.
You cannot fix this. The fix has to be done by the folks who run the mailing list server.
    -- Art Z.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 6:57 AM Robert Paulk <2bpaulk(at)gmail.com (2bpaulk(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
  I was wondering how many others on this list are having trouble receiving their emails by a server other than G-Mail. Comcast has been intermittent and I am now not receiving them at all.  I have spent several hours on the phone and had several case numbers assigned to no avail. Matt recommended G-mail and I have not had any problems since changing over but would like to keep it all in one server. I am not sure that Comcast even delivered this notice back to this list.
Bobby

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Screenshot_2020-01-11_at_7.25.05_AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.72 KB
 Viewed:  5064 Time(s)

Screenshot_2020-01-11_at_7.25.05_AM.png

chaskuss(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I'm using Yahoo and I've had no problems
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Quote:
On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 8:49 AM, Robert Paulk
<2bpaulk(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I was wondering how many others on this list are having trouble receiving their emails by a server other than G-Mail. Comcast has been intermittent and I am now not receiving them at all. I have spent several hours on the phone and had several case numbers assigned to no avail. Matt recommended G-mail and I have not had any problems since changing over but would like to keep it all in one server. I am not sure that Comcast even delivered this notice back to this list.
Bobby

john(at)tipton.me.uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

That explains why I have to go to my ‘junk’ mail box to collect most of my emails from the forum

John (UK)

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
Quote:
On 11 Jan 2020, at 1:48 pm, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name> wrote:

Bobby,
I ran mailing list servers similar to what the AeroElectric list uses for over 30 years. The problem is that the Matronics server is incorrectly handling the SMTP headers. It is using a technique which was OK a decade ago but is now considered to be spoofing (a polite way of saying "forging") the identity of the sender. Because of this, most email systems consider messages coming from the AeroElectric list to be spam.
<Screenshot 2020-01-11 at 7.25.05 AM.png>

At least Gmail delivers the messages (most of the time). Comcast is probably dumping them into the spam bucket.
You cannot fix this. The fix has to be done by the folks who run the mailing list server.
-- Art Z.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 6:57 AM Robert Paulk <2bpaulk(at)gmail.com (2bpaulk(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I was wondering how many others on this list are having trouble receiving their emails by a server other than G-Mail. Comcast has been intermittent and I am now not receiving them at all. I have spent several hours on the phone and had several case numbers assigned to no avail. Matt recommended G-mail and I have not had any problems since changing over but would like to keep it all in one server. I am not sure that Comcast even delivered this notice back to this list.
Bobby

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I get the list via individual emails (gmail address), and almost never have issues getting them without errors. Occasionally, I'll find Matronics emails in my spam/junk folders, but they'll typically be from a particular thread, so I've assumed that it was triggered by a subject line that the spam filters saw as suspicious.

Perhaps the notification emails for those who subscribed through the forum are the issue? I monitor the Vans Air Force forum, and that forum's notification emails have triggered gmail's spoofing filters for *years*.

Charlie

On 1/11/2020 9:10 AM, John M Tipton wrote:

Quote:
That explains why I have to go to my ‘junk’ mail box to collect most of my emails from the forum

John (UK)

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 11 Jan 2020, at 1:48 pm, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name> (art(at)zemon.name) wrote:

Bobby,

At least Gmail delivers the messages (most of the time). Comcast is probably dumping them into the spam bucket.

-- Art Z.

Quote:
Bobby

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/ Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

roughleg(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I have set up a filter in gmail to not put into spam any messages from the aeroelectric list. So they all go into my inbox, but Google sometimes adds a note at the top of a message saying it would have gone into the spam folder except that I had the filter in place to keep it out. It looks like this
[img]cid:ii_k5aa53ig0[/img]

Here's what the filter looks like, if anybody wants to do the same:
[img]cid:ii_k5aaafk91[/img]
and to set it up here is the first step:
[img]cid:ii_k5aab67y2[/img] 

and here is the second:
[img]cid:ii_k5aabg7i3[/img]

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:56 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I get the list via individual emails (gmail address), and almost never have issues getting them without errors. Occasionally, I'll find Matronics emails in my spam/junk folders, but they'll typically be from a particular thread, so I've assumed that it was triggered by a subject line that the spam filters saw as suspicious.

Perhaps the notification emails for those who subscribed through the forum are the issue? I monitor the Vans Air Force forum, and that forum's notification emails have triggered gmail's spoofing filters for *years*.

Charlie

Quote:

John (UK)

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 11 Jan 2020, at 1:48 pm, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name> (art(at)zemon.name) wrote:

Bobby,

-- Art Z.

Quote:
Bobby

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/ Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.88 KB
 Viewed:  5054 Time(s)

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.69 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.21 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.6 KB

image.png

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I did the same thing for VAF forum *notifications*, and get the same result in the notification emails. But have never had that issue (what Art describes) with individual emails from any Matronics list where I'm a member.
If you communicate with Matt about the problem, be sure to tell him how you read the list.
Charlie
On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 7:13 PM Pat Little <roughleg(at)gmail.com (roughleg(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I have set up a filter in gmail to not put into spam any messages from the aeroelectric list. So they all go into my inbox, but Google sometimes adds a note at the top of a message saying it would have gone into the spam folder except that I had the filter in place to keep it out. It looks like this
[img]cid:ii_k5aa53ig0[/img]

Here's what the filter looks like, if anybody wants to do the same:
[img]cid:ii_k5aaafk91[/img]
and to set it up here is the first step:
[img]cid:ii_k5aab67y2[/img] 

and here is the second:
[img]cid:ii_k5aabg7i3[/img]

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:56 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Charlie

Quote:

John (UK)

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:

Bobby,

-- Art Z.

Quote:
Bobby

--

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.88 KB
 Viewed:  5052 Time(s)

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.69 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.21 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.6 KB

image.png

2bpaulk(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

Art

Thanks you very much for the info.
I have since talked to a Comcast representative after e-mailing them my displeasure.
He said the same thing as you, that it was the sender's fault for us not receiving our email.
If you get a chance would you to mention it to Matt and if not to much trouble maybe he could fix it.
Thanks again,
"Analog guy in a digital world"

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

On 1/12/2020 9:47 AM, Robert Paulk wrote:
Quote:
Art
I have since talked to a Comcast representative after e-mailing them
my displeasure.
He said the same thing as you, that it was the sender's fault for us
not receiving our email.
If you get a chance would you to mention it to Matt and if not to much
trouble maybe he could fix it.

Thanks again,

Do I detect a Guy Clark fan?

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: E-mail Reply with quote

I have emailed Matt several times over the last few years about the mailing list servers he runs. He has never replied.

-- Art Z.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and bizarre typos.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 10:06 AM Robert Paulk <2bpaulk(at)gmail.com (2bpaulk(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Art

I have since talked to a Comcast representative after e-mailing them my displeasure.
He said the same thing as you, that it was the sender's fault for us not receiving our email.
If you get a chance would you to mention it to Matt and if not to much trouble maybe he could fix it.
Thanks again,

BobD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: E-mail Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading them, I changed my e-mail address in my profile to a Gmail one, and this appears to work. As stated, I think the original problem is with the Matronics Server, and like many things in IT, the solution I have applied is not a fix, but a workaround.
Just a note of caution for anyone changing their e-mail address on here, be aware that this action locks you out, and you cannot log back in until a "release" e-mail is received from Matronics Admin. My release arrived about 8 hours later, so no big deal, unless you plan to make some immediate posts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: