Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master switch alarm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbypaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Master switch alarm Reply with quote

As a forgetful ole geezer I leave the high intensity strobes on when out to a fly-in or the $100 hamburger and turn them off with the Master switch. You won't walk away from your plane without seeing them. You can turn them off before the next start.

Back at home port I turn them off with the panel switch.

Bobby

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Master switch alarm Reply with quote

My master requires a key. I have the key on the same ring as my house key. The only way I can leave the switch on is to leave the key in it, which I will know as soon as I'm not able to get in the house Smile

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 8:39:37 PM EST, Bobby Paulk <bobbypaulk(at)comcast.net> wrote:

As a forgetful ole geezer I leave the high intensity strobes on when out to a fly-in or the $100 hamburger and turn them off with the Master switch. You won't walk away from your plane without seeing them. You can turn them off before the next start.

Bobby

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Master switch alarm Reply with quote

At 11:37 AM 1/5/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
My master requires a key. I have the key on the same ring as my house key. The only way I can leave the switch on is to leave the key in it, which I will know as soon as I'm not able to get in the house Smile

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 8:39:37 PM EST, Bobby Paulk <bobbypaulk(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Bobby

My all time favorite system shut down warning
is the flashing, low voltage warning light. We used
to sell a kit that included a high intensity
led annunciator fixture. The instructions
suggested that the annunciator be mounted
in prominent location in front of pilot.

The FIRST thing you see when the BAT MASTER
comes on is a red flashing light, the LAST
thing you see is the same light just before
the master is turned off.

This configuration conforms to several
design goals for system reliability.
The obvious feature is timely and
active notification of a low volts
event. It gets pre and post flight tested on
every flight. It helps remind the
pilot to get everything shut
down before exiting the aircraft.

Bob . . .

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Master switch alarm Reply with quote

Quote:

Bobby

Bob . . .

rv7a.n18pf(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Master switch alarm Reply with quote

I too have a flashing light on the panel to indicate low voltage ("you left the master on stupid!"), however I have still left it on.  I get distracted by someone on the ground as I'm getting out, or bright sunlight washes it out, or I just didn't look - it didn't matter I still left it on!  So I built a small circuit using a PIC and programmed it to start beeping 30 seconds after the bus voltage drops below 13 volts.  I like the audio alarm that only goes off if I take too long to shutdown so I don't get used to it.

Besides, it was a fun project - education and recreation, just like the FAA says!
Paul Fisher
RV-7A N18PF
Q-200 N17PF
On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
My master requires a key.  I have the key on the same ring as my house key.  The only way I can leave the switch  on is to leave the key in it, which I will know as soon as I'm not able to get in the house Smile

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 8:39:37 PM EST, Bobby Paulk <bobbypaulk(at)comcast.net (bobbypaulk(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

As a forgetful  ole geezer I leave the high intensity strobes on when out to a fly-in or the $100 hamburger and turn them off with the Master switch. You won't walk away from your plane without seeing them.  You can turn them off before the next start.
Back at home port I turn them off with the panel  switch.

Bobby

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: