B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Hi Deems... ref: http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Schematics/LR3_LV_Led_1.jpg

Deems Davis wrote:
> I would like to subsitute an LED for the Low Voltage bulb that came with
> the B&C LR3C-14 . I posed the question to Tim Hedding (at) B&C and received
> this in response.
>
> If you use an LED instead of an incandescent lamp, install a 470 - 510 Ohm,
> 1/2 Watt, resistor between terminals 3 and 5 of the LR3C-14 (or the SB1B-14)
> so that the LED does not glow dimly all of the time.

Either of these techniques works . . . in fact,
Tim's suggestion is probably the most elegant.

Now for the rest of the story . . .

Tim's simple resistor suggestion is valid only
if your proposed LED substitute has a resistor
already in series with it . . . many off-the-shelf
LED indicators are RATED at 12 volts and include
the necessary series resistor to properly power
the approx 3.5 volt LED.

If you're wanting to install a rudimentary
led in the as-supplied lamp fixture from
B&C, you'll need to add TWO resistors wired
as shown in the link above.

As a general rule, I recommend converting
your as-supplied fixture to LED using
the rudimentary lamp

These are pretty easy to build into
the incandescent fixture . . . either
the as-supplied or one of your own
acquisition.

The advantage of a DIY indicator is that
you can select a high-intensity lamp
(10K+ MCD) for sunlight viewability.
If anyone needs a high-output lamp
for their project, drop me an address
and I'll fix you up. I have RED, AMBER,
WHITE, BLUE and GREEN high-intensity
lamps on hand.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Deems Davis wrote:
> I would like to subsitute an LED for the Low Voltage bulb that came with
> the B&C LR3C-14 . I posed the question to Tim Hedding (at) B&C and received
> this in response.
>
> If you use an LED instead of an incandescent lamp, install a 470 - 510 Ohm,
> 1/2 Watt, resistor between terminals 3 and 5 of the LR3C-14 (or the SB1B-14)
> so that the LED does not glow dimly all of the time.

Either of these techniques works . . . in fact,
Tim's suggestion is probably the most elegant.

Now for the rest of the story . . .

Tim's simple resistor suggestion is valid only
if your proposed LED substitute has a resistor
already in series with it . . . many off-the-shelf
LED indicators are RATED at 12 volts and include
the necessary series resistor to properly power
the approx 3.5 volt LED.

If you're wanting to install a rudimentary
led in the as-supplied lamp fixture from
B&C, you'll need to add TWO resistors wired
as shown in the link above.

As a general rule, I recommend converting
your as-supplied fixture to LED using
the rudimentary lamp

These are pretty easy to build into
the incandescent fixture . . . either
the as-supplied or one of your own
acquisition.

The advantage of a DIY indicator is that
you can select a high-intensity lamp
(10K+ MCD) for sunlight viewability.
If anyone needs a high-output lamp
for their project, drop me an address
and I'll fix you up. I have RED, AMBER,
WHITE, BLUE and GREEN high-intensity
lamps on hand.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
markfw

Joined: 28 Feb 2019
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Bob,

I could use two of the RED high intensity bulbs.

I assume you will tell me how to pay.

To finish off another thread, if I have a 40 amp alternator and I want to fuse-protect the B-lead would you recommend a 50 amp (or other) ANL fuse somewhere forward, like on the firewall?

Thanks.

Mark

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

The alternator fuse protects the battery from a shorted "B" lead or alternator.
The fuse should be located near the battery end of the B lead.
A 40 amp ANL or 50 amp Maxi Fuse should work.
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/automotive-fuses/littelfuse_maxi_32v_blade_fuses.pdf

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
roughleg(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Regarding the placement of ANL or other current limiter. If it is to protect the battery—and not the wire—what is the reason to locate it near the battery end?
On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM user9253 <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>

The alternator fuse protects the battery from a shorted "B" lead or alternator.
The fuse should be located near the battery end of the B lead.
A 40 amp ANL or 50 amp Maxi Fuse should work.
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/fuses/automotive-fuses/littelfuse_maxi_32v_blade_fuses.pdf

--------
Joe Gores

===========
br> fts!)
r> > rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
roughleg(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Got it, thanks.
On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 9:13 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
There may be a failure to communicate. In the case of a short, the ANL protects the B lead *from* the battery's incredibly high source current. A secondary benefit would be protecting the battery from rapid discharge.

On 12/29/2019 9:35 PM, Pat Little wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is to protect the battery—and not the wire—what is the reason to locate it near the battery end?

You are right, the fuse protects both the wire and the battery. An alternator is
not capable of generating enough current to damage a correctly-sized "B" lead.
Thus a fuse does not need to be located at the alternator end of the "B" lead.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
roughleg(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: B&C voltage regulator low voltage warning (ADDENDUM) Reply with quote

Deems reports that B&C is recommending a 470 ohm resistor between terminals 3 and 5, but the drawing
http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Schematics/LR3_LV_Led_1.jpg

seems to me to show a resistance of more like 940 ohms between the two terminals, ignoring the parallel resistance of the diode.
Will either arrangement work?
Pat

Deems Davis wrote:
> I would like to subsitute an LED for the Low Voltage bulb that came with
> the B&C LR3C-14 . I posed the question to Tim Hedding (at) B&C and received
> this in response.
>
> If you use an LED instead of an incandescent lamp, install a 470 - 510 Ohm,
> 1/2 Watt, resistor between terminals 3 and 5 of the LR3C-14 (or the SB1B-14)
> so that the LED does not glow dimly all of the time.

  Either of these techniques works . . . in fact,
  Tim's suggestion is probably the most elegant.

  Now for the rest of the story . . .

  Tim's simple resistor suggestion is valid only
  if your proposed LED substitute has a resistor
  already in series with it . . . many off-the-shelf
  LED indicators are RATED at 12 volts and include
  the necessary series resistor to properly power
  the approx 3.5 volt LED.

  If you're wanting to install a rudimentary
  led in the as-supplied lamp fixture from
  B&C, you'll need to add TWO resistors wired
  as shown in the link above.

  As a general rule, I recommend converting
  your as-supplied fixture to LED using
  the rudimentary lamp

  These are pretty easy to build into
  the incandescent fixture . . . either
  the as-supplied or one of your own
  acquisition.

  The advantage of a DIY indicator is that
  you can select a high-intensity lamp
  (10K+ MCD) for sunlight viewability.
  If anyone needs a high-output lamp
  for their project, drop me an address
  and I'll fix you up. I have RED, AMBER,
  WHITE, BLUE and GREEN high-intensity
  lamps on hand.

  Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours